OGXbox.com

Lights and Numbers

vekter303

Hey, first time post..

Just got my 1.2 OG modded with Aladdin XT2 and UnleashX.

The emulators arent very impressive, lots of lag and glitches on PS1 in particular, and a bit with N64 too, slowdown and crash with MAME tonight.

That has me finding fault and so I would like to know if these instances are normal?

The eject ring is red more often than not, and occasionally after using two trigger, back and black reboot also flashes red/green.

Also, on a couple of occasions I get what looks like a MS error screen, its multi language suggesting to call support. I get error code 21 and sometimes error code 9. I can switch off and it runs okay for the most part, but Im new to this.

It seems a bit glitchy with all that stuff going on...is this usual for hardware mods?

Thanks for any help!

Thanks for the reply Dave...

I take your point about the original system. The main idea of having the OG modded is easy storage and access to Xbox games. Its not so much a complaint about the emulations, as a few Ive tried so far being unplayable. Saying lag is being kind...freeze for several seconds at a time is more accurate. Im just not sure that this is normal, or a problem with the mod/chip/xbox?

The HDD is WDC WD2500JB-00GVA0. Not sure if that the same as the one you mentioned

Edited by vekter303

That drive should be OK 

Are the emulators part of unleash dash or part of Coinops?

With out the Xbox  on the test bench it's going to be hard.

Power supply failing, Caps that are starting to fail,The hard drive starting to fail.

You say Aladdin chip do you know what bios is in it or is it the BIOS  the chip was shipped with?

SS Dave

Those who can hard-mod, Those who can’t soft-mod. 

Im pretty sure they are part of UnleashX at least after the Evo X SlaYer bootscreen, its into the UnleashX dash. Coinops 8 is one of the available emulators...if that all makes sense.

The guy who modded has been really helpful and replaced four (maybe five) tall electro caps just down from the heatsinks, removed the clock cap too.

I would need to check the BIOS although  from memory looking around the dash and files I wonder if Xromwell would be it?

Maybe my expectations are too high for the emulations of PS1 and N64 the MAME game that froze was very sprite heavy too...

I was getting the multi language MS screen with error 21 when I tried to select MS dash. The error 9 and MS screen was after two trigger, black and back reset. Thats when I was getting the red/green flashing ring. It was okay after switching off and on again.

The 250GB drive has just been installed as part of the mod. The Phillips DVDD has had a couple of flaky moments and it looks like this is a problem on the DVDD board. Not sure if that would affect other functions...

When you do the 4 button In Game Reset (IGR)and you get the MS screen is because The mod chip is sending it looking at the wrong place for the dash eg it's looking for the dash in E drive instead of c drive 

Error 9 Hard drive problem

Error 21 Can not boot Dash

There may be later versions of the emulator hat might help.

When I get a chance I have  a look

SS Dave

Nice one Dave...

Would it be possible to move or copy the dash (exe.?) to the other drive?

I should say, its not everytime that it fails, it all just seems really tempremental.

I have another xbox for parts on its way (when the courier finds it!) with the possibility of changing out the DVDD or its MB (speculating a resistor fail here) that may help some.

Anything you find or suggest for emulators or otherwise is much appreciated, cheers!

You can swap the DVD drive from the other box without any problems.

The Philips drive's I have here have been no problems with exception for the loading belt and dirty laser pickups.

You could try cleaning the laser pickup. Use Isopropyl Alcohol and a q-tip to clean the blueish bit in this pic

IMG_20191012_142704.jpg.2386dae13bfacd7b13b21ebe5febdf9d.jpg

That's a pic of a Philips drive laser assembly.

A flaky hard drive could be a cause of the IGR or just the files have not been installed where the BIOS is looking.

The mod chip properly is set to 

1st 😄 evoXdash.xbe

2nd c: AvaDash.xbe

3rd 😄 neXgenxbe

As defaults.

All your problems are not the norm for a modded Xbox.

MS dashboard improperly installed if you get error 21 when trying to run it from the replacement dashboard.

The 250GB IDE hard drive may be going bad.

9 - kernel - HDD parameters: (PIO/DMA/or size {debug}, certain size minimum is required for debug)
Not very common error, please try another harddisk.

Most likely when the BIOS queried the hard drive for its size, no response was returned.

Eject Ring Color

Eject ring red doesn't really mean much as the BIOS and replacement dashboards can be configured to change the color displayed.

Flashing Orange and the fan speeds up to 100% is an overheating condition.

Flashing Red is a configuration EEPROM error.

Flashing Red and Green - after the display of Green followed by console reset then again display of Green and console reset, is a system failure. Not all major components of the console are functioning properly, thus the error screen.  The number displayed in the upper left-hand corner is used to assist in determining which subsystem failed. See: XBOX Error Codes Explained - Go Here First!

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that, lots to learn in there...

Are you suggesting the MS Dash install error is as a result of same issue SS Dave has highlighted?

I appreciate the explanation, as that helps me understand some of the processes. I will keep an eye on any more code 9 errors as the units has only just been modded, with a drive installed...Im hoping a failing drive is unlikely, we will see!

Until Im more certain of what Im doing, I wont be pulling and swapping drives for now, but thats helpful stuff...

I have had 2 drives in the last month give me problems 

A Weston Digital 500 gig IDE style in a Xbox that some times would not boot the drive was not spinning up and a Seagate 1tb Sata in a desk top computer that would become unresponsive

In both cases I removed the PCB and cleaned where the contacts for the Heads and the spindle motor connect to the PCB and so far both drive have been working well.

The section in the red boxes is tarnished and by cleaning the drives have come good.

1_tb_HDD.thumb.jpg.609f83e732d132dbc48a12681c49a423.jpg

You have nothing to loose by having a look as the drive is probably on it way to stopping anyway.

When your gleaning the contacts on the hard drive side be very gentle as they are spring loaded and can bend easy

SS Dave

• Like 1

Nice one, thanks.

My v1.6 turned up, going to use that for spares, planning switching out the DVDD MB to the modded console.

Will take a look at the HDD contacts you mentioned too, when I get around to that.

Im guessing they are soldered onto the PCB where you have the red boxes, would need desoldered?

It's not soldered it's a spring contact from the case.

Undo 4 torx screws to remove the board some drives may have a flex lead plugged into the board try and not damage it just flip the board over and clean any contacts that look like the ones in the pic.

SS Dave

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, vekter303 said:

Nice one, thanks.

My v1.6 turned up, going to use that for spares, planning switching out the DVDD MB to the modded console.

Will take a look at the HDD contacts you mentioned too, when I get around to that.

Im guessing they are soldered onto the PCB where you have the red boxes, would need desoldered?

Be careful installing a 1.6 motherboard in a 1.0-1.5 case.  There's an extra motherboard standoff with ground shielding tabs present that is not there on a 1.6 console.  You can damage a 1.6 motherboard by simply swapping it into an older style case.  The extra motherboard mounting post on 1.0-1.5 cases is between the AV connector and GPU.

Okay thanks!

I was playing POP off the game disc last night, when I finished playing I couldnt reset to the dash with two triggers and back, black. Pressed eject tray popped out and I got the MS error screen with code 9 again with alternate red/green flashing ring...

It was okay again after turning power off and on again, went back to UnleashX dash.

Seems I will definitely have to look at doing something with the HDD!