OGXbox.com

Please Help Me Identify My Mod Chip

Aloony

Hi All,

I need your help to identify my mod chip, i purchased this Original xbox and unable to find any information as to what mod chip it is or even what Bios it is using.

I have tried to use the Hexen DVD to try Flash the Bios with the EvoX but none of the bios's i tried worked, it came back with drive ID error and unable to flash blue screen.

Not sure if i am flashing it with correct Bios or not or if i have to manually put the Bios.bin files into the xbox itself via FTP ? 

My xbox is 1.6 version, can anyone please help to identify the chip installed ? and what Bios i can use or how to go about it if i cant do it with the Hexen DVD.

I even tried Bios checker but it gives MD5 hash info without any chip information. It currently runs on the Evolution Dashboard however when booting up the xbox it has a custom logo on top left that appears was flashed with a custom bios. please see my image attached of the Mod Chip.

Untitled.jpg

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply 

i wanted to flash the EvoX bios to make sure whatever custom bios they have used or altered it to is not affecting the xbox performance.

Also please see my image i just posted with the left top corner, i wanted to change this image, bot sure how they customised it to change the image also.. not a big fan of the logo on top left corner.

And also to make sure that this Bios is capable of F & G drive option when i upgrade the HDD .

Your help is much appreciated. see my new image of the boot screen

IMAG0646-.jpg

Edited by Aloony

That logo is an option as opposed to the one I posted there is also some others

halle.jpg.9c9357e74f0f6421228a39e683a9bfe0.jpgm8.jpg.97fcbd8bb45a7eb20ed9b33d2f18e805.jpgpeng.jpg.8de32c76b7d1f23a52e32e1aa67170ee.jpgxfiles.jpg.095ac7630578cfdeddfb83ce717a4398.jpgx-s_man.jpg.aac47418d88afc8d35a48d06e1cb8936.jpg

Halle                            M8                                    Peng                                        xfiles                            x-s_man

If it's got the on the boot screen your probably good to just install the new drive and run a install DVD.

What bios where you trying to flash ?

It takes a 256k BIOS.

It's a Evox M8 BIOS

SS Dave

Those who can hard-mod, Those who can’t soft-mod.

From the colour of the PCB I would guess it's a Muppet-X, I have one of these: https://www.xbox-hq.com/html/article1692.html . Yours appears to be missing a switch and socket however, so it might be a clone. Firstly I'd try flashing with XBlastOS, as that supports the widest range of chips. Just upload the BIOS file you want along with the XBE, open the XBE on your Xbox and browse to select the BIOS to attempt a flash. If not, you'd probably have better luck carefully removing the 49LF020A chip from the PCB with a needle and plugging it into an external flash programmer to do it from PC. As your Xbox is a 1.6 your options are limited, so M8+ is probably best, make sure it is the 1.6 variety with LBA48 support. I always remove the logo personally- you can do this using EVTool. Just open your chosen BIOS file and untick "Evox Logo" and save.

Edited by samspin

Hey Dave,

I am using 256KB Bios from Hexen, its the EvoX M8+ 1.6 (F&G) option.. every time i try it from the Hexen DVD i get the following error

please see image

Could it be that the chip is not flashable or locked from flash ?  I formatted the HDD and starting fresh with the Hexen DVD but that damn logo was still there after format and install of Hexen dvd to format and partition HDD, So that part went all well but the Bios i cant flash with the Hexen.

Untitled.jpg

5 minutes ago, samspin said:

From the colour of the PCB I would guess it's a Muppet-X, I have one of these: https://www.xbox-hq.com/html/article1692.html . Yours appears to be missing a switch and socket however, so it might be a clone. Firstly I'd try flashing with XBlastOS, as that supports the widest range of chips. Just upload the BIOS file you want along with the XBE, open the XBE on your Xbox and browse to select the BIOS to attempt a flash. If not, you'd probably have better luck carefully removing the 49LF020A chip from the PCB with a needle and plugging it into an external flash programmer to do it from PC. As your Xbox is a 1.6 your options are limited, so M8+ is probably best, make sure it has the 1.6 variety with LBA48 support. I always remove the logo personally- you can do this using EVTool. Just open your chosen BIOS file and untick "Evox Logo" and save.

The EEprom (49lf080) is to small for a muppetX the Aladdin XT 4032 (49lf020) looks the same except for the color.

SS Dave

13 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

The EEprom (49lf080) is to small for a muppetX the Aladdin XT 4032 (49lf020) looks the same except for the color.

Ah, good point! I've just checked and mine indeed has 1MB rather than 256KB of flash. Good spot!

21 minutes ago, Aloony said:

Untitled.jpg

From that image above, HEXEN has loaded the EvoX Dashboard program, since that includes inbuilt support for flashing BIOSes. Because it does not support *every* flash chip, there is one of two possible problems: 1: the flash chip is not supported, thus it is coming up with the manufacturer's ID as FF and device ID 00 . 2: It is possible your mod PCB is wired in such a way to avoid the flash being writable. As documentation is lacking for this PCB you'd need to take the flash chip itself out (labeled 49LF020A) and reprogram it externally if this is the case. That's why I suggest running XblastOS to try flashing with that first, since it supports more chips than EvoX-Dashboard.

Edited by samspin

Hi Aloony

You could try download this and burn to a DVD-R as slow as you can set the wright speed it's a Slayer's 2.7 Install it also has a Bios flash section that I have used before.

The Password that's needed to extract is in the read me.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2p4bnav95qpm1qs/AAAKTXUl87GWcZioF8w5Z3qia?dl=0

SS Dave

50 minutes ago, samspin said:

Ah, good point! I've just checked and mine indeed has 1MB rather than 256KB of flash. Good spot!

From that image above, HEXEN has loaded the EvoX Dashboard program, since that includes inbuilt support for flashing BIOSes. Because it does not support *every* flash chip, there is one of two possible problems: 1: the flash chip is not supported, thus it is coming up with the manufacturer's ID as FF and device ID 00 . 2: It is possible your mod PCB is wired in such a way to avoid the flash being writable. As documentation is lacking for this PCB you'd need to take the flash chip itself out (labeled 49LF020A) and reprogram it externally if this is the case. That's why I suggest running XblastOS to try flashing with that first, since it supports more chips than EvoX-Dashboard.

Thanks for this info,  I'm hoping it's not the chip that is protected =(

Will give xblast a try now,  see what happens