OGXbox.com

Aladdin XT Totally Lost

sinclairuser

8 hours ago, sinclairuser said:

yes mikey, its due to where the caps are on 1.4, its definately the right way round i'm going to sand a "cats knacker" off the bottom edge.

while your here what is your opinion on the D0, on a 1.4 would you ground it or connect it to D0 on the chip, i like the idea of booting the stock bios if the chip fails, but i'm not convinced thats intended for xboxes other than 1.6.

i know it sounds like i'm pussyfooting around but i dont want to get it wrong.

If you want to boot the Xbox's stock BIOS from the TSOP and be able to boot from the modchip too.  You need to connect a wire from the BT pad on the modchip to the power button point on the back of the front panel or side of the resistor (same point electrically) on the motherboard as shown in the attached installation diagram.  And, a wire from the D0 pad on the modchip to the D0 point on the Xbox's motherboard.

AladdinXT_plus.jpg

42 minutes ago, sinclairuser said:

that's it Dave, that one in the pic looks even worse than mine, if i had noticed it before putting the pin-header in i would have used the quick solder pads.

well its in now, it still booted after the header was fitted, though i have not tried the chip yet doing that tomorrow, if it boots then i will build the hdd with hexen 19, if it works should i reflash first or build the drive, i cant use its stock drive as its got softmod files on it.

If when you turn on the xbox with the mod-chip plugged in and you get Evox logo on the top left of the screen shut down the xbox plug in your new drive and boot from the Hexen disk and you should be good to go from there. you don't need to build the drive on a PC just let Hexen do it in the Xbox.

You can plug the old drive in and boot from the Hexen disk and unlock it if you want as well or just keep as is just in case.

You should see a logo like this.

evox.jpg.38960d1a97ca8bc52d48419039c1b9cc.jpg

SS Dave

Those that can hard-mod, Those that can’t soft-mod.

If all is good then just go ahead and reflash the chip with whichever bios you want to use and then boot your hexen disc and build the drive. You could use the stock drive and after you have flashed you can use hexen to remove your softmod. If it’s Rockys softmod you have on there just use his extras disc to boot the softmodding tool and use that to remove the softmod. 

so booted the 1.4, xbox starts red light on chip green on xbox, no flubber no evox on power button.

eject button xbox starts, and boots dashboard, but its hit and miss sometimes i get a black screen xbox appears to boot green light and red on chip.

rockys extras disk has no softmod remove tools showing, the eject appears to be booting the dash on E, in file explorer trying to start the dash on c results in black screen.

i know this is due to softmod, but is the power button another issue, it successfully refashed the chip, i also no noticed cdrive has an ind bios config file, but i have an x2 bios on the chip,is that normal.

i expected to throw in hexen put a blank drive in and rebuild, but the power thing has me stumped, why doe the softmod remove not show?.

going to reflow the header tomorrow see if that helps.

Edited by sinclairuser

Recheck your soldering and double check it again.

Did you wire the BT from the mod chip to the front panel?

If you wired the chip as the pic I uploaded the power and eject buttons will boot the Xbox with the chip enabled.

Where did you but the D0 wire from the main board?

Why did you flash the chip until you had a working xbox as the bios that comes in the chip will boot ANY Xbox (version 1.0 to 1.6).

I have lost count of the Xbox's I have done. 

Version 1.6

1st Strip the box and while apart check the Caps and clean the main board ,check power supply for dry joints and give the fan a clean.

2nd solder in mod chip with the BT point set to always on and for 1.6 Box's the D0 on the main board soldered to the D0 on the mod-chip

3rd replace main board and DVD assembly

4th power up the box and check chip working.If not go back to step 1. Now if I have the need or customer request I re-flash the BIOS and if the owner wants to reuse the old drive it gets unlocked.

5th Install new hard disk or the old drive depending on the owner and Boot SlaYers 2.7 DVD and install the operating system.

7th Reassemble the Xbox give it a quick clean then move to a different bench to copy games,etc as required by customer to the hard drive.

8th Call customer to come and collect there beloved Xbox. Another happy OG Xbox owner.

Simples

SS Dave

Those who can hard-mod, Those who can’t soft-mod.

in the end i wired it like everyone said to, bt connected on the chip with a small wire, D0 wired to ground.

it consistently boots with the eject button, just not pwr button.

when i started it it was with eject button, didn't know there was a problem with pwr button till after the flash.

i still dont understand why rockys extras isnt showing the softmod removal

Will the Xbox boot OK with out the mod chip?

If yes lift the D0 wire and boot off the hard disk with the soft mod and see if you can remove the soft mod that way or load your install DVD and start afresh

I use SlaYers install disk and have not played with a softmods also the times I have tried to use a Hexen install DVD it Peeved me off the dozen or so times I tried it.

SS Dave

26 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

I think the Extras Disc checks how you the console is modded.  If softmodded, the menu is different than when it detects that you are hard modded.

Disable the modchip and boot the Extras Disc.  The startup menu should change.

That's pretty much what I said in post 34

On 10/18/2019 at 8:41 PM, SS_Dave said:

Will the Xbox boot OK with out the mod chip?

If yes lift the D0 wire and boot off the hard disk with the soft mod and see if you can remove the soft mod that way or load your install DVD and start afresh

SS Dave

SS Dave

hi dave kaos and all, i have been busy with a couple of detector repairs and services, so i got them out of the way to clear the bench.

the xbox boots fine with chip disabled, still boots every time with eject to e/dash, now i have time i'm going to install a dash on c( as it was before), and see if that boots , i have been reading up on some bioses and the power button could be the xbox trying to boot c/dash which it cant due to softmod so with a clean dash we will find out, apparentlt some bioses  boot e/dash on eject and c/dash on power, some a short press on power has a different action to a long power button press.

we will see now i'm free to get stuck in again.

thanks dave,as expected the bios is setup to first boot from 1st c evox dash, 2nd e/unleashx/unleashx .xbe, 3rd e/dashboard/default.xbe.

so its not booting c due to softmod files so its shifting to e and booting unleash x.

so i now have a plan of attack.

been trying not to be a pain in the arse here, on a certain metal detector forum i an considered a "guru"  and a regular contributor, so know first hand how annoying noobs can be.

thanks again for you file and your patience.

ALY,

(sinclairuser).

Hi ALY

I am glad you have got it sorted. 

They say there is horses for courses and we probably have all asked for help at some time so some patience with noobs should be the norm

If I sounded like I saw getting short with you it's nothing personal after having my own electronics repair shop for 28 Years and dealing with what seemed like a high percentage of 1d10t customers (it's just a blown fuse well if it's just a blown fuse then fix it your self because I have a minimum workshop charge and you will think I am ripping you off for just changing a fuse) has given me the grumpy old man syndrome. I guess you also would know the feeling of banging your head against the wall trying to help some people

Some times it looks like the way I go about sorting out online problems seems to be the long way around but I get there in the end and it's because I don't have the job in front of me and getting people to use the same software/procedure,and description of the fault that I know can make it easy for me to understand whats happening.

As for the power /eject button issue check for dry joint's and corrosion around the front edge of the main board that can come from a leaking clock cap.

Any way you have a great day.

Cheers

Dave