OGXbox.com

Cheap Hdd

sinclairuser

hi all, visited a mate today who recycles set top boxes, and discovered some interesting info, sky boxes contain seagate 500gb and 1tb(depending on model) he gave me some drives to test and they lock fine, i have tried 5 drives so far hdm built the drive fine and they lock fine.

so considering you can get sky boxes free in the uk they may be a source of good drives, they are sata but the adapters seem to work fine, he did say some early boxes used ide drives 250gb and 500gb but any around in 2019 that are still running will be worn out,i know from my own experience that sata drives dont seem to wear as quickly as ide with constant write read rewrite cycles.

so i would go for the sata option, and for normal xbox use 500gb or 1tb are big enough, not for a full library granted but then again who likes all games?.

we tend to have favourites.

1 hour ago, nikeymikey said:

Shhhh don’t give away all the secrets..... I’ve been using sky boxes as a source of hdd’s for a while now... if your clever you can score the 2tb boxes for cheap... a lot of people don’t realise what box they have and just let them go for a few quid!

i paid £7 for my last 2tb sky box!! 😃

ahh then iv'e been duped too, shady bugger never mentioned 2tb drives lol.

Tbh the 2tb are not common as it’s the only box Sky would not supply as standard. You had to buy one if you wanted one. The 500gb are by far the most common Sky box out there. The 1tb were also “paid for upgrade” boxes for a while before they released the 2tb ones.... Sky Q has put an end to all those boxes tho..

Yes I used to work for sky 😂 had a garage full of the things at one point!! 

1 hour ago, nikeymikey said:

Yes I used to work for sky 😂 had a garage full of the things at one point!! 

thats the way it goes sometimes, as for my 1.1 i'm waiting for a couple of raspberry pi's and some other bits, when they come i'm going to dump the eeprom and check it with live info, its the only straw left to grasp.