OGXbox.com

Crash On 4-Button Return To Menu & Games Not Showing In Menu

blainelocklair

Hello everyone!

Hoping to get a bit of help with two small issues. Using UnleashX with the green block theme, but having the same issues without regard to the skin selected.

First is that if I use the two triggers and the far left / far right buttons (back and something else) to return from a game to the main menu, the XBOX crashes with error 07. Power off and power on cycle sets thing right, but strange that it crashes just because I try to go back to the menu from inside a game.

Second is that loaded games don't automatically show up in the "XBOX Games" menu. For example, I've burned a disc over to the HDD and also copied one through FTP. In both instances, I had to go into the game through File Explorer, start the .xbe file, and then go back to the menu to see the game in the games list.

Any ideas?

Thanks everyone!

Blaine

5 hours ago, blainelocklair said:

Second is that loaded games don't automatically show up in the "XBOX Games" menu. For example, I've burned a disc over to the HDD and also copied one through FTP. In both instances, I had to go into the game through File Explorer, start the .xbe file, and then go back to the menu to see the game in the games list.

Any ideas?

UnleashX does not automagically add a new game to the menu list once you have added its content to the hard drive.  It only builds the menu when it starts up.

You have to restart UnleashX (reboot) or run the game and exit which restarts UnleashX.

Or, manually refresh the Game Menu.  Highlight it in the menu list (it is the selected menu item) then press the Start button and select Refresh List... in the pop-up menu that appears.

Hi! Been fighting these stupid sinus allergies for a few days, but back at it.

I was able to get UnleashX to see the newly added games by power off / power on cycling the Xbox. Good call, y'all! :) 

Still can't get the LTrig-Start-Blk-RTrg combo to behave right. Whether I exit from a game that way, or even reboot the Xbox through the menu system, still get the 07 error. I've attached a screenshot with the details of the hard drive. It's a WD Green 1TB SATA. Using this SATA-to-IDE Adapter from Amazon, which seems to be working great:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SZDOM6/ref=crt_ewc_title_oth_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Something in the config must be off. Any ideas?

Thanks! - Blaine

IMG_2717.jpeg

It still sounds like the hard disk is missing some files or not setup correctly.

Is it Hardmodded or softmodded

I have seen some talk about not using the WD Green drives for  Xbox's some thing to do with the parking of the heads and power saving.

Code 7 is for HDD timeout, it means either not spinning up in tie or not able to read.

I use the WD Blue or WD Black drives in my setup's

SS Dave

Those who can hard-mod, Those who can’t soft-mod.

Most likely its a problem caused by the GREEN drive.  The GREEN features need to be disabled on the hard drive.  There were tools available from WD to disable the idle spin down feature of the GREEN drive.

Use a BLUE or better WD drive that doesn't spin down which then takes time to get ready after it does.  The Xbox does not handle that well as you've seen.

When the Xbox attempts to access the drive it is not ready thus the Xbox throws the error 7 message - HDD timeout.  

44 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

Most likely its a problem caused by the GREEN drive.  The GREEN features need to be disabled on the hard drive.  There were tools available from WD to disable the idle spin down feature of the GREEN drive.

Use a BLUE or better WD drive that doesn't spin down which then takes time to get ready after it does.  The Xbox does not handle that well as you've seen.

When the Xbox attempts to access the drive it is not ready thus the Xbox throws the error 7 message - HDD timeout.  

That's pretty much  the same as what I said  in post 6.

On 10/18/2019 at 12:05 PM, SS_Dave said:

It still sounds like the hard disk is missing some files or not setup correctly.

I have seen some talk about not using the WD Green drives for  Xbox's some thing to do with the parking of the heads and power saving.

Code 7 is for HDD timeout, it means either not spinning up in tie or not able to read.

I use the WD Blue or WD Black drives in my setup's

SS Dave

Those who can hard-mod, Those who can’t soft-mod.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone! Good call on the green drive. I'm going the 2TB route shortly and I'll be sure to use the WD Black or Blue route. The Green was a donor drive from a friend to allow me to get the HDD swap process mastered. It'll head over to a PS2 to live life there. It seems to perform just fine in the PS2 as I've installed a smaller but same Green series drive in one with a SATA adapter and it rolls right along. Yeah, I know PS2 is a four-letter word here, so I'm back on track on the OG.

Thanks!

• 3 months later...
On 10/28/2019 at 4:30 PM, blainelocklair said:

Thanks everyone! Good call on the green drive. I'm going the 2TB route shortly and I'll be sure to use the WD Black or Blue route. The Green was a donor drive from a friend to allow me to get the HDD swap process mastered. It'll head over to a PS2 to live life there. It seems to perform just fine in the PS2 as I've installed a smaller but same Green series drive in one with a SATA adapter and it rolls right along. Yeah, I know PS2 is a four-letter word here, so I'm back on track on the OG.

Thanks!

Hi Blaine!

I think I`m at the same error as you have. UneashX, trying to IGR and it crashes. Then it struggles to spin up the HDD (new hdd, 1 TB Seagate ST31000525SV) so it gives up on the hdd and ends up flashing green. I get nothing on the screen though. I got the 80-wire IDE cable and the sata-IDE adapter. Everything else works perfectly except for the IGR.

Did you end up resolving yout issue?

Hi Noomi! Well, not really. I've just kind of accepted that it's part of the deal to power cycle and move forward. I've tried fresh installs on v1.0 and v1.4 consoles with several types of HDDs, including the modern WD Blue 2TB HDD, but each setup poses this same issue. It's not that power cycling to get back to UnleashX is a big deal, but it's more convenient to get there from the controller and probably a bit less wear and tear on the Xbox if it doesn't have to be power cycled. Not like they're getting any younger. You know, like me. :)

On 2/13/2020 at 6:28 AM, Noomi said:

I think I`m at the same error as you have. UneashX, trying to IGR and it crashes. Then it struggles to spin up the HDD (new hdd, 1 TB Seagate ST31000525SV) so it gives up on the hdd and ends up flashing green. I get nothing on the screen though. I got the 80-wire IDE cable and the sata-IDE adapter. Everything else works perfectly except for the IGR.

Can you give some more info

Version of Xbox ,Softmodded,Chipped/TSOP Flash,Bios you using,version of Unleash your using?

I tested Unleash ona version 1.4 with X2-5035 bios and it resets to the main dash every time with Left,Right trigger and Back,Black.

Also where is Unleash  install to?

Cheers

SS Dave

Those that can Hard-Mod. Those that can't Soft-Mod.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2020 at 11:51 PM, SS_Dave said:

Can you give some more info

Version of Xbox ,Softmodded,Chipped/TSOP Flash,Bios you using,version of Unleash your using?

I tested Unleash ona version 1.4 with X2-5035 bios and it resets to the main dash every time with Left,Right trigger and Back,Black.

Also where is Unleash  install to?

Cheers

SS Dave

Those that can Hard-Mod. Those that can't Soft-Mod.

Hi again, Dave.

Just red a post in the facebook group where a guy with a 1.6 and Aladdin is had the exact same problem, and solved it!

Quote: "So after a year of trying to fix my error problem with shortcuts/boot discs/ numerous attempts by any means to fix this problem I found the fix. So my friend's Smithis And I were talking and I asked about the IGR setting in EVTool that lists 2 different settings. One setting is listed as "more compatible" the other labeled "quick". Everything I have read had told me sata HDD's have a hard time spinning up fast enough before the BIOS error's out. Smithis said to me "go ahead try the quick setting it can't hurt anything".

After flashing the Bios with quick IGR settings it freaking worked......IT WORKED. FINALLY!!!!!!!"

I have downloaded EVTool. How do i know which BIOS to get and to modify? And, when I have modified it, how do i put it in my xbox?

Hi Noomi

This is from my dropbox and it has the EV tool and the 2 types of bios files 

For the version 1.6 use the bios M8plus_16 and I normally untick all but the Xlogo and I use fan speed 30%

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i4993iqc6uzgs90/EV Tool.zip?dl=0

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing

11 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Hi Noomi

This is from my dropbox and it has the EV tool and the 2 types of bios files 

For the version 1.6 use the bios M8plus_16 and I normally untick all but the Xlogo and I use fan speed 30%

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i4993iqc6uzgs90/EV Tool.zip?dl=0

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It get's the job done but it's nothing like the real thing

So far so good. .bin file ready, ftped it to hdd. I`ve only flashed from hexen disc before. If i go through EvoX for example, where is the menu option to flash the BIOS? I cant find it.

There is no option in the Evox program to flash the BIOS.

I mean the EVtools.

On the hexen disk there is a app called Xblast install and use that, Xblast will look for C:/bios folder if your flashing via HDD, Or you can flash via your network.

Cheers

SS Dave

Hi all

Going to throw in my 2 cents, although they're probably not worth much:

The HDD-timeout-error is strange... I myself have 2x modded xboxes which each rock a 2TB WD Green drive, and IGR works fine no matter what (in game, from homebrew, menus, dash, after idling for long time, etc.).

Does somebody know the exact command that IGR (in game reset) triggers when executed? Maybe it's not an issue of the spinup time of the hdd but rather the command itself which points to another (probably wrong) directory to load the dash. In this case the xbox is not able to find the default dash and spits out an error. Maybe, only powercycling points to the right place?

Let me be clear: this is only a suspicion. I have little knowledge of these things... Maybe someone of you with more knowledge can bust this theory?

Greetings!

Bot