OGXbox.com

MrBriteSide

Hi guys,

I recently attempted an Aladdin XT plus modchip install on my xbox V1.0. Other then trying to suck out the solder from the LPC ports, the process was relatively smooth. When I first went to boot the box, the Aladdin instantly smoked hard so I it off. At the moment I'm trying to figure out whether it was my install error or a faulty chip. When I remove the chip and boot the xbox, it boots fine and normal. As soon as I add the chip back on, which doesn't smoke anymore, the xbox FRAGS. I tested the LPC pins and didnt get any continuity between ones I shouldnt have. I then tested to make sure the 5 and 3,3 voltages were still good and they were. I was gonna test each individual pin and see if maybe Im seeing 5V/3.3V where I shouldnt, but other then  that I'm not sure if it was the install, but instead just a faulty chip. I bought it from Modchipcentral and I've gotten good stuff from them before. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

As far as I could tell it wasnt the wrong way around, the installation orientation being with the red light pointing towards the controller headers. Im surprised that the chip wouldnt almost be reverse protected, at least I would think all pins would be 5V tolerant unless for some reason it shorted it to ground within the chip itself. Oh well, ill be sending it in for a return and hopefully this time itll be better. Thanks

It is quite likely at least part of the circuitry of your chip is burnt out. I would buy some more aladdin XT chips if I were you, then plug one into the LPC pins and test for continuity with each pin before turning it on again (I've broken three in my lifetime through incorrect installation). If possible could you show some photos of the LPC area on the top and bottom please?

Sam

Edited by samspin

3 hours ago, MrBriteSide said:

Im surprised that the chip wouldnt almost be reverse protected, at least I would think all pins would be 5V tolerant unless for some reason it shorted it to ground within the chip itself. 

Really?

5 Volt it to a chip made for 3.3 volt that's about a 1/3 more.

Reverse protection would not be needed if it's fitted correctly!

The supplier will probably swap the faulty chip as for what it cost them it's not worth the hassle.

SS Dave

Those that can hard-mod, Those that can’t soft-mod.