OGXbox.com

Just Received My XBox That I Bought for Parts

Steo1024

It was listed as faulty, that it hangs on the Xbox logo. After sitting thinking I wonder will it error, my brother said Microsoft appeared on the screen. Apparently it seems to work, it just takes ages to boot, and the problem seems to be with the disc drive itself. There's no signs of leakage from the clock cap either, so I should remove that before it goes. 

It's apparently another v1.1, and I plan to tsop it also. The main thing I need to do for now is give it a good cleaning and softmod it to get the eeprom. I don't trust the HDD because the spindle is whirring really loudly, so the eeprom is a priority, as is the clock cap.

After changing the drive for a Thomson out of another console, it boots up normally. There must be something wrong with the actual PCB in the Samsung I got with it. 

Edited by Steo1024

I used Rocky5's Splinter Cell exploit, then opened the console, snapped off the dead clock cap (it literally forgot the time immediately, it was the same as not even having a cap) and cleaned the board. There was actually surprisingly no leakage from the cap. Afterwards, I soldered the TSOP points.

It was my first time soldering the points, and I managed to botch one of the points on the top, where I pulled the pad. One of the points was still fine, so I done what I seen someone else say, I just stuck a thin copper strand from a cable through the alternative point, then soldered one end to the point that was still there, and put some solder on the bottom where the copper came through, then just spun it until the excess piece snapped off. 

When I done the point on the bottom, I just tinned a copper strand and held it in place, then touched the iron to it for a second and snapped off the excess piece again. 

Once I assembled the console and booted hexen, I was actually surprised that it had worked, it said press Y to flash.

So I managed my first TSOP flash, even though I botched one point in the process. 

Edited by Steo1024

back in the day i had a box that took ages to boot and the phillips drive in it was not parking the laser fully, the xbox would cycle the dvd drive a few times while booting, the xbox only started once the laser got enough momentum to park fully then it booted fine.

if you parked it manually with your finger it booted normally, i stripped the drive and cleaned the rails(loads of pet hair and gunk on it) and greased it and it fixed it.

might be worth a look.

I'll try look into it. It seems to be acting abnormally though, when the Xbox was stock, Microsoft came up at the bottom if I ejected the drive, but then the LED would start flashing a few seconds later as if it was trying to read a disc, even though the tray was open.

What it seems to be doing now is reporting that it's opening/closing correctly, but once it tries to read, regardless as to whether a disc is inserted or not, it will temporarily freeze the Xbox. If there's a disc in it, you can hear it spin up as if it's reading successfully, but afterwards, it just freezes temporarily again.

It's worth noting that the sound it makes when it parks the laser is very different to the sound my other Samsung makes though, so unless they have different models, you might be on the right track.

i have also ran across a Phillips drive that acted like that,

anyways, if you havent already you should apply fresh thermal paste, iv come across a few xbox's that would act funny and that fixed them right up.they didnt act funny in the way your describing but worth a shot 

Edited by abazz009

32 minutes ago, abazz009 said:

i have also ran across a Phillips drive that acted like that,

anyways, if you havent already you should apply fresh thermal paste, iv come across a few xbox's that would act funny and that fixed them right up.they didnt act funny in the way your describing but worth a shot 

you get a build up of fluff, dust, hair and stale grease on the laser rails and over time it gets to the point where it makes a ring at the end of the track, its not massive but its enough for the laser not to park fully, so then the drive sends "not ready" commands to the xbox or computer.

Edited by sinclairuser

I've seen all the gunk on Xbox 360 drives many times, sometimes the worm motor in them used to slip because there was so much gunk on them.

What I could do is put the PCB into the drive on my other Samsung and see if that still works. If so, I'll know it's only a problem with the mechanism like you said.

Edited by Steo1024

3 hours ago, Steo1024 said:

I've seen all the gunk on Xbox 360 drives many times, sometimes the worm motor in them used to slip because there was so much gunk on them.

What I could do is put the PCB into the drive on my other Samsung and see if that still works. If so, I'll know it's only a problem with the mechanism like you said.

that's an excellent idea, at least you'd know where to look.

Seems I can't swap the PCBs. One is an SDG-605B and the other is an SDG-605F, the boards aren't interchangeable and either are the lasers as they use a different ribbon cable.

I have checked the drive anyway and the laser can park properly, it even reads discs and they spin fast as of they're working, but it's like the drive isn't reporting the right status to the Xbox. 

I was thinking of trying to reflash the drive's firmware once I get an IDE converter to plug it into my PC.

Well it turns out my good Samsung is broken now too. The lens wouldn't read discs and I tried to clean it. That didn't work and I tried to adjust the pot, only to go to far and ruin the laser. I don't really mind because it was already broken, but now I need to find another laser or drive.

Does anyone know where I could get a laser that will fit an SDG-605F, or else get an entire drive for a fair price that isn't a Thomson? 

I guess at worst, I could get an 80pin IDE cable and use a Thomson in my 1GHz since it can't play games from discs at the right speed anyway, only install them to the HDD. Right now I just reversed the cable, put the middle on the motherboard and put one end to the DVD drive and the other to the IDE to SATA converter. For some reason the Xbox errors with a Thomson using this method, yet it worked with a Samsung.

I basically just need 2 working drives now.

I just tried the Samsung drive today using a USB to IDE adapter and it seems to work fine, it reads discs no problem, making me believe there is something wrong with the firmware on the drive. It's almost like the Xbox doesn't understand whatever response the drive gives it after it attempts to check for a disc.