OGXbox.com

Hello From Uk!

MRH

Evening all I’m rather late to the party 15years at a wild guess! 🙄 A simple loft clear out and low and behold  my 1.1 from when I was a child came out of its box! No leakage from the clock capacitor which I couldn’t believe!! I have just completed a clock capacitor removal and Tsop all successful 🥳 just thought I’d pop in and say hi! 

Edited by MRH

Hi, it's nice to know that the clock cap didn't leak. I have a 1GHz 128MB RAM V1.0 with the clock cap removed, a V1.1 that I'm waiting on a PSU for, which the cap has leaked in , so I need to remove it and clean the PCB when I get the PSU, and I also have a V1.6 that's softmodded and works. Cleaning up the acid from the leaky cap will probably be a nightmare.

Edited by Steo1024
  • Thanks 1

Tell me about it! I wasn’t aware of the damage caused by the leaking capacitor until I sifted through the forum so very thankful for that! I’m jealous of you already! I Would love to add a cpu upgrade to my collection but thankfully I’ve spoke to N64 Freak and snapped up some of his precious time for a ram upgrade.I just managed to pick up a spares or repair crystal clear og due to no av cable which I’m presuming it’s a v1.4 for £15 on the wonderful flea bay so got some tinkering to do to keep me busy in the forthcoming days. Appreciate the reply and if you have any tips that I haven’t already read up on would appreciate that also.

Better late than never. Welcome aboard MRH.

If your worried about the Clock cap leaking on your version 1.0 to 1.4(1.5) the cap can be removed I would probably do that anyway.

If there is any staining on the PCB clean it with Isopropyl Alcohol or mentholated sprites and a Stiff brush(tooth brush). 

Thanks @SS_Dave. 

As soon as I softmodded the 1.1 first thing was removing that ticking time bomb! Out came the magnifying glass to check the board and it was crystal clear no leakage or expansion of the capacitor. TSOP is now complete and I have run a few tests today and all is well so tomorrow hopefully going to re apply new thermal paste and then mess about with a custom tinted jewel idea with a neopixel. Going to be hit or miss but I have a spare top shell kicking about to improvise with.

Edited by MRH

Replacing the thermal past ? 

I have only done one of my Xbox's (I have 4 in regular use) and not seen any better temps.

If  you have removed the heat sink then you do need to replace the paste.

I work on the If its not broken then don't fix it principle.

SS Dave

I thought the 1.6 had a much lower GPU temp, but then I heard the 1.6 reports inaccurate temps.

As for the CPU upgrade, I just happened to come across N64freak on AssemblerGames last year and pick one up. I didn't realise he would stop doing them, so I'm glad I managed to get one while he was.

The 1.1 with the leaky cap I got was also from ebay, but I only bought it to use the PSU, as the PSU failed in my 1.0 with the upgraded CPU. I managed to snag a PSU from ebay which can switch between 110-220v, so I'll be able to use that in the 1.1.

I also bought another from ebay for parts, the case is in awful condition though, but it has a Samsung drive (I can tell by the pictures). It hangs on the Xbox logo, so a modchip can fix that one if the HDD has failed. The OG Xbox is actually very interesting to work with. :)

10 minutes ago, Steo1024 said:

I also bought another from ebay for parts, the case is in awful condition though, but it has a Samsung drive (I can tell by the pictures). It hangs on the Xbox logo, so a modchip can fix that one if the HDD has failed.. :)

You think bad Have a look here I have 2 the same.

Whoa Jesus that was a lot of rust under the PCB. That's a nice result though to get it up and running so quickly.

The one I'm getting just has a really scratched up case, but some scratches won't do any harm as long as the console is working.

I'll receive it during the week, and knowing my luck, it will be a 1.0-1.5 with a leaking clock capacitor. :P

1 hour ago, Steo1024 said:

I thought the 1.6 had a much lower GPU temp, but then I heard the 1.6 reports inaccurate temps.

As for the CPU upgrade, I just happened to come across N64freak on AssemblerGames last year and pick one up. I didn't realise he would stop doing them, so I'm glad I managed to get one while he was.

Yes te version 1.6 do report the temps higher in fact the temps are crap my 1.6 reports it's 4 deg Celsius then it will jump to 65 deg

Using a non contact thermometer the temps are the same 1.1 and 1.6 both running CoinOps demo for a hour no lid's but every thing in place 45c fan at 20% room temp 25c.

I possibly  got 1 of N64's last Modded mother boards a 1.4ghz CPU 128 meg ram that's been tested to make sure it worked but not put into service yet that's a one day job.

This Xbox is a version 1.6 that is under another xbox and has been running for over 2 hours

510541459_Craptemp.jpg.3f9497dbf1ce4ac2a6dc2cbc711cb317.jpg

Yer right the room is 22 C/72 F