OGXbox.com

Tsop W/O Original Hdd?

suwuj12

So the Xbox has no drive or it's failed?

Is it booting and what is on the screen.

If no then you need a mod chip with a custom made  M7 BIOS to be temporary fitted that will let you to flash the on board BIOS once you have linked the TSOP flash enable points.

If you not to confident then fit a $5 eBay Aladdin mod-chip then install your new drive and use one of the install disks that are floating around the interweb and do a full install

SS Dave

Temporarily using a modchip is indeed on the right lines! The retail BIOS requires the HDD to be locked, but it does not have to be the factory HDD it came with. The issue is getting it to be locked to the unique EEPROM of your Xbox. Install a mod chip and blank HDD, boot a HEXEN DVD and install a softmod and follow the prompts to lock the HDD. Then remove the modchip, solder the TSOP points to allow flashing and go from there. Then use the HEXEN DVD to clean up the HDD to remove the softmod. Also unlock the HDD if you wish, since it can then be interchangeable between flashed Xboxes.
Or, if you do not have a modchip, you will need some form of way to get the EEPROM data from the Xbox and set up a fresh HDD with the softmod files from a PC.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xbox-EEPROM-Reader-Writer-Repair-Faulty-Console-or-HDD/140521532676?hash=item20b7bc6d04:g:2AoAAOSwjvJZVPE9

Never tried this adapter myself but this should allow you to get your EEPROM data. Then you can use XboxHDM: https://www.reddit.com/r/originalxbox/wiki/xboxhdm to install the softmod files and lock your HDD, then place it your Xbox. The softmod should then allow you to boot a HEXEN DVD.These days USB-ATA bridge adapters are very hit and miss so to do this reliably you would probably need an older PC with IDE connectors. As for modern PCs I have only been able to find one USB-ATA bridge that works purely by trial and error (copying files is fine, it's the disk lock commands that are finicky). Good luck! Personally, I think the temporary modchip solution is the easiest!

Edited by samspin

I confirm Samspin reply, you can either use a modchip time to change/reload software and relock HDD, else you can use ponyprog and a serial reader (on a old laptop for example) to catch your eeprom in order to prepare a new hdd with XBHDM.

I think, it's quicker add a modchip. I which country are you ?

Bye

• 3 months later...
58 minutes ago, Swirlygiver said:

I thought maybe it would boot into HeXEn still.  Is there a guide on here, on this specific case: temporary mod  chip, HeXEn softmod install, TSOP, then remove mod chip?  

I guess the question is do you pull the mod chip after the softmod install, then TSOP?

Yep Fit a mod chip lock the drive and remove the chip reflash the TSOP then remove softmod.

For the cost of an Aladdin chip (Around $4 usd) I would just leave the chip fitted unless you plan on using the chip in a different Xbox.

Cheers

SS Dave

Those that can Hard-Mod. Those that can't Soft-Mod.

The mod-chip and TSOP flash have the same chance of failing it boils down to how work you want to put in to it.

Me I have a old 10gig drive that I use to lock to the Mother board with a mod chip then boot of the MS bios and flash with my own version of splinter cell hack, I then unlock the drive for the next main board that needs flashing.

Then load a install disk and format and install a new dash etc etc

There is others as well for 007AUF and Mechassault.

Cheers

SS Dave

1st thing is remove the clock and repair any damage and then add the links to enable the TSOP Flash.

If the OE drive is working I then copy the came save to the OE drive then load the game and reflash the BIOS.

If the OE drive is not functioning or not available then I do the following.

Fit the 10 gig drive after clock cap and links are added

On the 10 gig drive it has 3 sets of game saves

1 for 007 Agent Under Fire

1 for Splinter Cell

1 for Mechassalut

I use a Open Xenium chip edit the EEprom and lock the  drive and when the drive is locked I remover the chip and the D0 link and boot to the MS dash and load 1 of the 3 games an run the game save then flash the TSOP with what ever BIOS I think is going to be needed.

After it's all flashed I unlock the drive with the same mod chip.

You can also make your own Xblast mod chip and do the same.

Cheers

SS Dave

2 hours ago, Swirlygiver said:

And does the Aladdin need to be flashed when first installed?

No, the Aladdin modchip comes pre-flashed with Evolution-X (EvoX) M8plus_16.bin (Xbox v1.6 version. It will boot on older versions too but is suggested to reflash with the version meant for them.).  Best to reflash it with another version of this BIOS with the latest LBA48 patch applied as this pre-flashed BIOS has an older LBA48 patch not supported by XBPartitioner v1.3 to properly prepare the extended partitions on a new larger hard drive.  It also doesn't have a few other settings set to their preferred values.  And, the proper version for your Xbox revision.  M8plus.bin for 1.0-1.5 Xboxes or M8plus_16.bin for 1.6's available on the Hexen 2018 installer disc to reflash it via its menu options; however, under much longer names than those two dot bin files I mentioned.

14 hours ago, Swirlygiver said:

Is the Open Xenium chip similar the Aladdin XT?  Or will Aladdin XT do the same thing?  I’d like see how to edit the eeprom and lock the drive with a chip installed.  Sorry for the noob questions, I have no experience with the chip mods.  

A modchip is a modchip.  The OpenXenium has more features and can hold multiple BIOSes that the user can select to boot different BIOSes.  The Aladdin can only hold 1 - 256KB BIOS at a time. The OpenXenium can hold several 256KB, 512KB or 1MB BIOSes (don't know of any of the latest BIOSes available that are this big though) in its available free storage space which I believe is 1.5MBs.  

More details available at @Ryzee119's github repository: https://github.com/Ryzee119/OpenXenium

The OpenXenium modchip has it's own operating system (OS) - XeniumOS that controls the chip and supports locking and unlocking the hard drive without any other Xbox application.  The Aladdin modchip cannot do so.  You have to have the console modded - modchip installed and additional software installed to lock and unlock the hard drive.  ConfigMagic Final 1.6 or Rocky5's updated v1.6.1 version are two such applications.

1 hour ago, Swirlygiver said:

I had ordered an Alladin already.  Will I have to flash it somehow before using?  Keep in mind, I am trying to save a failed hd softmod. 

Hi Swirlygiver

The BIOS that's supplied in the Aladdin chip will work with all Xbox's (version 1.0-1.6)  I would say leave it as is for now.

You fit the mod chip and then you should be able to use a install disk(Hexen,Slayers,etc etc) to get the Xbox up and running.

Cheers

SS Dave

On 1/15/2020 at 11:05 AM, Swirlygiver said:

Is the Open Xenium chip similar the Aladdin XT?  Or will Aladdin XT do the same thing?  I’d like see how to edit the eeprom and lock the drive with a chip installed.  Sorry for the noob questions, I have no experience with the chip mods.  

Lets do baby steps and fit the  chip you have ordered and get the Xbox running 1st

Cheers

SS Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Bump. (Sort of). Lol.  I haven’t gotten to this yet.  I plan to do it for a friend whose hard drive died. 

But I do have a question about the unlocked 10gb hard drive you said you use. I just soft modded, then TSOP flashed a v1.0.  I haven’t removed the softmod on that drive.  I could use it to “revive” the dead Xbox, using the Alladin, right?  As long as I don’t remove the softmod?

1 hour ago, Swirlygiver said:

Bump. (Sort of). Lol.  I haven’t gotten to this yet.  I plan to do it for a friend whose hard drive died. 

But I do have a question about the unlocked 10gb hard drive you said you use. I just soft modded, then TSOP flashed a v1.0.  I haven’t removed the softmod on that drive.  I could use it to “revive” the dead Xbox, using the Alladin, right?  As long as I don’t remove the softmod?

As long as the replacement dashboard is installed at the location the Aladdin modchip's BIOS looks for it - generally, C:\evoxdash.xbe.

The softmod files are not needed when booting the Xbox with a modchip.

17 hours ago, Swirlygiver said:

Once you have fitted the mod chip you can boot of a install disk (Hexen,Slayers,etc etc) and set up a new or used unlocked hard drive.

Or you can use the mod chip and lock the 10 gig drive then remove the mod chip and the use the Xbox as a soft modded one or if it's a version 1.0-1.4 reflash the TSOP providing that you have added the 2 links on the main board.

Once it's flashed you can then unlock the drive and fit a new drive and using your install disk do a clean install.

Cheers

SS Dave