OGXbox.com

Xbhdm2

sinclairuser

hi, been trying to get the right files for xboxhdm but none of the files i downloaded makes sense, i want the version that can be put on a usb stick, and the drive goes on ide master, but apart from that if you read tuts on seven sins and other places none of the file in the tuts are in the files.

i even got ver 2.2a that supposedly runs off a cd/dvd but there is no make disk iso file, its all so confusing, in the read me it says to put eprom in eprom folder and c and f file in the correct folders and then to click make iso, but that file does not exist(hdm_2.2a), and in hdm 2.3usb the only files are hdd files, xbox hd and xbox hd(batch file).

so i spent 3 hours in frustration today rooting through my old back ups looking for my old softmod files, since at least i know how to use those even if i'm a bit rusty,with newer versions i expected the process to have evolved a bit over the years.

so i dont care which version i get now as long as it works, either a cd version or usb dongle version, but the version that uses a usb drive caddy is no good for me.

maybe i'm tired, or just getting old and thick,

thankyou to anyone who can help me make sense of this.

aly,

(sinclairuser).

Xbox HDM23USB Beta 2 or 3 run from Windows.  No need to create a bootable USB thumbdrive or disk.

The USB in the name, XboxHDM23USB, means the hard drive is to be connected to the PC via a USB-to-HDD interface adapter.

Place the eeprom.bin backup in the folder that contains the startup batch file for it - xboxhd.bat.

Run the batch file and answer any Windows security prompts to allow it to have administrative permissions and run.

For Beta 2, you need to add the MS dashboard 5960 files set to the empty C and E (well E can be left empty) folders.

Beta 3 is preconfigured with a bootable no-original-game-disk-required Xbox Softmodding Tool installer.  Add no files to it.

Lock the drive and install in your Xbox.

On 10/5/2019 at 8:12 PM, sinclairuser said:

hi, been trying to get the right files for xboxhdm but none of the files i downloaded makes sense, i want the version that can be put on a usb stick, and the drive goes on ide master, but apart from that if you read tuts on seven sins and other places none of the file in the tuts are in the files.

i even got ver 2.2a that supposedly runs off a cd/dvd but there is no make disk iso file, its all so confusing, in the read me it says to put eprom in eprom folder and c and f file in the correct folders and then to click make iso, but that file does not exist(hdm_2.2a), and in hdm 2.3usb the only files are hdd files, xbox hd and xbox hd(batch file).

so i spent 3 hours in frustration today rooting through my old back ups looking for my old softmod files, since at least i know how to use those even if i'm a bit rusty,with newer versions i expected the process to have evolved a bit over the years.

so i dont care which version i get now as long as it works, either a cd version or usb dongle version, but the version that uses a usb drive caddy is no good for me.

maybe i'm tired, or just getting old and thick,

thankyou to anyone who can help me make sense of this.

aly,

(sinclairuser).

The set of instructions to create a bootable thumbdrive for XboxHDM2.2a were available in forum posts at Xbox-scene.com. However, that site is no longer online, but a copy can be accessed on the WayBack Machine at: http://web.archive.org/web/20130125005924/http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=649031  but only page 1 of 16 is accessible :(.  that starts with XboxHDM2.1 not 2.2's insturctions.  There's a tutorial linked there by scullc in step 5.  And another date's forum thread  with more of the pages accessible (at least 1 page 11 of 16): http://web.archive.org/web/20141025053853/http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?/topic/649031-xboxhdm2-usb-edition-alpha-release/page-11#entry4499718

The information directing you there is in the files included in the XBOX_HDM_2.2a.7z archive a bit hidden in documentation inside the help folder - xboxhdm2FAQ.pdf and xboxhdm2_2 release notes.txt - to know that you should look there to find them.

I'd thought I'd found a more complete tutorial for the 2.2a version but cannot find it.  It must have been stored on my old DEAD hard drive that I had a lot of Xbox modding files downloaded to. :(

Update: A different thread for Xbox HDM 2.2

http://web.archive.org/web/20141024153702/http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?/topic/690646-xboxhdm-22-usb-edition/

thanks dave, and kaos, i got the drive rebuilt i used 1.9 and one of my old machines, i know a lot of users struggle with ide due to most computers not having ide support.

but being a bit Retro comes in handy, i never understood why someone didn't just write a windows program to unlock build and relock xbox disks, its nice to see a version of hdm run under windows, its entirely possible .

@kaos i understand about lost drives, i have a shoe box somewhere with an assortment of ide drives, my xbox recovery discs, usb controller leads and a couple of 512k thumb drives in it but god knows where i stashed it, i put it in a "safe" place, so safe its now lost but wherever it is there is two other shoe boxes one with ps2 modding stuff and another with xbox 360 rgh tools, so i could do with finding them.

• 2 months later...

After a modchip is installed and you install a new hard drive, backup the eeprom so you can unlock the other hard drive using XboxHDM23USB or Chimp261812 on the Xbox with it connected as the slave drive (hot swap connected after starting Chimp 261812). Both hard drives need to be powered when you turn on the Xbox.  Easiest way to do so is to use a Molex power splitter.  If you use a PC to power the second drive, make sure you attach a wire between the ground connection of the PC and the Xbox's shield (ground) before powering on the Xbox.

Another possible solution

You could use a PC, an EEPROM reader/writer and PonyProg software to obtain the data from the configuration EEPROM on the Xbox's motherboard to create the eeprom.bin backup file.  Or, a Raspberry Pi and PiPROM software.

Sooooooooo. I ran XboxHDM23USBmon my 2TB drive a couple times and I guess it worked. I plugged it into the Xbox, evoX symbol came up and the main Xbox dash loaded.

I tried to run a copy of Hexen2018 and 2019 but neither one would load. I got an error that the drive doesn't recognize the disc.

I used -R media, but I read that only certain media will work with certain Xbox drives, is that true?
Maybe I need to burn the disc slower?

The DVD drive  in the Xbox's can be supper picky regarding the disk's is will read.

I have found the DVD-R verbatim disk's seem to work for me when to write them at the slowest speed you can.

I have heard the some drive will only read DVD-rw disk's.

if you have it booting with the new dash you can FTP all the files you need, What files are you wanting from the Hexen disk?

SS Dave

Those that can Hard-Mod. Those that can't Soft-Mod.