OGXbox.com

Ide To Sata Adapter Comparison

OGXbox Admin

I recently received another IDE to SATA adapter from Aliexpress. See pictures below.

It is ca. 2 mm broader than the recommended cheapo adapter, but much more flat. I think this one would fit better into the XBox's HDD-case when using a 3,5" HDD, because the IDE power cable of the xbox does this 90° turn upwards out of the adapter into the top of the case. I think the case is in the way for the recommended cheapo adapter. 
The black insulation had been attached out of the box, which is nice to see.
There is a jumper on the board. Apparently, removing it puts the HDD into slave mode. I just noticed there was a review of this item on Aliexpress by someone who used this adapter to clone their Xbox HDD. :D 

As for boot times: it is the same as the other adapters I tested. I only tried my config (on DVD drive + EvoX M8 BIOS), though. Since the boot time is identical to the recommended cheapo adapter, I assume it scales the same with all configurations (see my comparison above).

Link to Aliexpress

flat1.jpg

flat2.jpg

Edited by Tosnic

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I like the other posters have tried different SATA to PATA/IDE adaptors.

I got some from EvilBay, AliExprress and Wish dot com

I have found if you getting the cheap ones get 2 or 3 at a time as I have found that some will not work a 1 box but will work in the next and have some 80 way IDE leads on hand as well because some will not work with the 40 way.

The boot times between a 1tb Sata WD Blue and a 3 different brand 500 gig Pata drive's are on par with each other and using a Startech adaptor on the 1tb drive maybe 2 seconds quicker but a 2tb is around 5 seconds slower.

The 2tb drive is 75% full of games the 1tb about 25% full with the 500 gig there all around 50% with the testing Bios Evox M8Plus version 1.1 box booting to a Evox dash.

Is it worth the cost of the Startech probably not.

That's my 20 cents worth.

I have a very cheap adapter I got from ebay and it seems to work fine. I didn''t even have any spare IDE cables since you need an 80 pin, so I just reversed the cable direction instead and it works that way. For some reason, reversing the cable with a Thomson drive results in garbled data and error 21, but it works with a Samsung. The Thomson ones are loud and unreliable anyway.

I have a 500GB HDD in mine and it never had any issues. This is the adapter I have, and I've even used it with chimp successfully many times.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.41f446fe7abc5260311c20728629f2d3.jpg

Edited by Steo1024

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/20/2019 at 7:39 AM, canadish said:

I have had success with the cheap ones. Here is latest with ssd.

I'm looking to upgrade my HDD (already had IDE upgrades done, now doing it myself). Is there anything I need to think of when switching to SSDs? I'm sure there's a bandwidth limit for IDE so an NVME would be wasteful. Is there a max size (not going to use an 8TB QVO, just wondering if I could)

IDE bandwidth limit: 133 Mbps. As SATA is 6 Gbps, switching to an SSD should not make a difference for sequential read/writes. Might still benefit from random read/writes but I don't know how Xbox handles this. SSD would make less noise though.

MBR is limited to 2 TiB and I don't think Xbox would have support for GPT for a drive over 2 TiB might not make sense as well.

This brings me down to: 2TiB SATA HDD or SSD?

I have tried a 1tb samsung SSD in a OG Xbox and I could not really notice any difference over a 1tb 7200rpm HDD.

That SSD is now in a Xbox one and I did notice a difference so that's where it stayed.

I like the 2tb WD Black HDD but I have used the WD blue as well as the Seagate 1tb just if you are going to use the WD green you need to run the Wdidle3 program to turn of the power save

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• 2 months later...

I bought the Kingwin adapter and the cablesonline ide cable both on amazon and I installed them successfully to upgrade my original modded Xbox v1.0  hdd to 2tb’s. No cloning just a fresh install and then I ftp‘d  my ISO’s. Used truhexen 2020, no issues. 256 bios for v1.0,  Ind Bios 5004 f and G. 

Edited by the415giant

15 hours ago, the415giant said:

I bought the Kingwin adapter and the cablesonline ide cable both on amazon and I installed them successfully to upgrade my original modded Xbox v1.0  hdd to 2tb’s. No cloning just a fresh install and then I ftp‘d  my ISO’s. Used truhexen 2020, no issues. 256 bios for v1.0,  Ind Bios 5004 f and G. 

I'll give another thumbs up to the Kingwin (https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B002SZDOM6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have one that works great (with 80 wire PATA) with two more arriving in a couple days. I'll report back if I have issues with the next two.

On 8/24/2020 at 3:08 AM, the415giant said:

KingWin IDE-to-SATA adapter works as long as you don't try to use it to clone the original to a new hard drive.  There is no MASTER/SLAVE jumper on them.  They work well with a modchip where you don't have to have a locked hard drive and can boot HeXEn, Slayers, etc. to format the new drive then install the replacement dashboard and other apps to it.

Edit: The B A C jumper block  on the KingWin adapter only changes the bridging operation from IDE-to-SATA or SATA-to-IDE.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

After testing different Xboxes with different IDE cables I came to the conclusion that, contrary to common opinion, you may not require an 80-wire IDE cable if you are using an IDE to SATA adaptor. In most cases the stock 40-wire cable is sufficient.

I am not entirely sure what determines the maximum cable length, but both Xbox I confirmed not working with the 60 cm 80-wire cables are v1.1 Xboxes. One has a 512 kB Xecuter BIOS, the other one has a 256 kB EvoX BIOS. Both BIOS's are from the 2017 HeXEN disc. My main Xbox is v1.0 and has EvoX BIOS. It works with the 60 cm cables. As a side note: using an IDE to SATA adaptor did not make any difference: the stock IDE HDD was recognized the same as the SATA HDD.

I also compared the loading times with either cable: GTA:San Andreas took the same time (33-34s) on both configurations from launch to the beginning of the intro.

Therefore I put up this thesis:
Xbox v1.0 with EvoX BIOS runs with cable lengths up to 60 cm (80-wire)
XBox 1.1 with any BIOS runs with cable lenths up to 50 cm (80-wire)

My overall suggestion at this point: 
Try your original 40-wire cable before buying a 80-wire cable. It might work just as good. Keep in mind that you probably need to reseat the middle connector on bought cables to match the drive position of the Xbox.

Edited by Tosnic

• 2 months later...

Thanks for taking the time to test and share this info, @Tosnic.  I've been using the blue StarTech SATA to IDE adapter that plugs directly into the motherboard IDE header so it eliminates the need for an IDE cable altogether.  (It is so hard to find the right IDE cable at the right price.)  I don't use the DVD drive anymore so there's plenty of room for the SATA to IDE adapter on the DVD drive side of the Xbox.

20210521_015428.jpg

31 minutes ago, TEK Nemesis said:

Thanks for taking the time to test and share this info, @Tosnic.  I've been using the blue StarTech SATA to IDE adapter that plugs directly into the motherboard IDE header so it eliminates the need for an IDE cable altogether.  (It is so hard to find the right IDE cable at the right price.)  I don't use the DVD drive anymore so there's plenty of room for the SATA to IDE adapter on the DVD drive side of the Xbox.

20210521_015428.jpg

I would have taken the Sata HDD and adaptor power from the DVD connector on the man board.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

23 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

I would have taken the Sata HDD and adaptor power from the DVD connector on the man board.

That's a great way to do it and I intend on doing it that way for sure.  This photo shows a mobo that I'm currently working on (so it's a mess of cables right now) and I'll post photos (probably on Facebook) to show how I finished it off.  Cheers!