OGXbox.com

Cpu Cooler Fan Options

big F

So I was looking back at some of my modding info I have saved from the net over the years.

With regards of cpu and gpu coolers, we have all put larger fans on the stock coolers and 80mm fan mods.

when dealing with a slim mod the way to go used to be one of the slim cpu coolers and fans that were touted around for pentium 3 cpus. These are getting scarce and when you do see one they seem to be a pricey for my linking.

Anyone have any combos from more modern stuff that works in a similar way.

P4 reference fans look the right size but obviously the clamp situation would need to be looked at.

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Pkaffe said:

Have you looked in on using the cooler from an laptop ?

Dual heatsink, dual pipes and single fan, they do manage to take care of an quad cpu and a gpu and pack a lot more punch than one would think and you can easily get them of ebay or aliexpress like this one...
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32831233470.html

New-Laptop-CPU-Cooler-Fan-Heatsink-For-Samsung-R428-R429-R431-R439-R440-R478-R480-DFS531005MC0T_jpg_q50.jpg

Hi!

Hmm... This seems like a good way to go in my opinion.

Do you know of any combo that fits the xbox without the need for big modifications? 

@big F cool, that you opened this thread, as i was going to ask the same question... :D

I'm planning on slim-modding one of my boxes i have lying around. With the use of such a combo, you could (in theory) make the box even slimmer than most existing mods... Like, 90s-style-laptop-slim at least! 😉

Greetings!

Bot

• 7 months later...
15 hours ago, prtscn said:

stock cooler are good. No need to add extra headache. Even stock fan is ok if it's not loud/worn out. GPU fan is a problem too.

Stock is only ok if you don’t have a really cut down case and live where it’s warm and then push the box to do emulation and HD videos

7 minutes ago, big F said:

Stock is only ok if you don’t have a really cut down case and live where it’s warm and then push the box to do emulation and HD videos

Difine "really cut down case".

In a normal slim you have enough room to do a custom cooler like the one in the picture. You could also do the same with the GPU block (or just get one from an 1.0 xbox). And i promise these are a lot quiter as thos 3th party cooler.

IMG_20200915_145218.jpg

Edited by sweetdarkdestiny

Really cut down is where you cant use the standard case without serious modding where I don't just mean 10 mins with a Dremel and a marker pen. 
with less air space the cooling requirements are pushed harder.
To be fair the standard case is only really best for slim no CD conversions, and you can just about get away with the standard cooler, but more so if you add v1 gpu fans. That only really compensates for the rear fan removal. 

Where it gets tricky is when  all caps get removed and replaced with low profile ones or mounted side on. Where the highest thing on the board is the cpu stack, thats when the factory cooler is no use.

That's why i wrote " Difine "really cut down case " So we're talking about those more or less, mostly ugly looking (just speaking for me) ultra slim version like the on in pic i attached. 

So yes, than you're right. HE1 server cooler would be an option or (yes) the VGA cooler.  I get 9 XBoxes in the next 1 or 2 days (bulk buy for realy cheap). Maybe be i will do one of these ultra slim just for the lol's.

RHtpCPb.png

On 10/12/2020 at 11:28 PM, sweetdarkdestiny said:

That's why i wrote " Difine "really cut down case " So we're talking about those more or less, mostly ugly looking (just speaking for me) ultra slim version like the on in pic i attached. 

So yes, than you're right. HE1 server cooler would be an option or (yes) the VGA cooler.  I get 9 XBoxes in the next 1 or 2 days (bulk buy for realy cheap). Maybe be i will do one of these ultra slim just for the lol's.

RHtpCPb.png

it looks like those xbox 370 concept spoofs. :D Nice.

8 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

I dont like those super slimes to much. Look at the top of the joy ports. It would look way better to make it at least 0,5 cm higher (Same height like you have under the ports if you know what i mean). But thats just my opinion and depends on the personal taste i guess. Sad is, that this is was a nice limited edition.

I like the slimness, but agree it looks to be a little to much as the top of the ports is slightly covered. This is a good size if you just remove the ports and fit an internal 360 controller mod. But  that looks a trans green case, I wouldn't do it to one of those. Not sure how common the6 are in the US but over in Blighty they were not sold in great numbers.

1 hour ago, big F said:

Not sure how common the6 are in the US but over in Blighty they were not sold in great numbers.

The US has the green as Halo Editon but not to sure how much they have given out of these. The green (EU) without the Halo tag is sold in Europe (only if i'm right) and is limited to 5000 units for entire europe.

Back to the slim. If you would make it with a black one and remove the ports completely i think that could look nice (with a nicer power button). A horrible pic attached. :D

IMG_20200912_165718.jpg

Edited by sweetdarkdestiny
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...