OGXbox.com

XBox Hd

sinclairuser

hi all, i recently bought a zxhd for a spectrum, its an interface board that mates with a raspberry pi, it takes outputs from the board processes them and displays hd video through the pi's hdmi port, now i wondered if we could do something similar.

i know n64 freak and others have come up with hdmi solutions, however this is different though because if we use a full size pi board we may be able to get more than video, we could get access to wifi, bluetooth, sd card and video, some are using pi's to read and dump eeprom well why not bios too.

as i say just an idea we would need a software guru to look at it for us, now the hardware and designing the electrical and mechanical interface and any add on circuits i can do,but i am no good writing sketches and other code, so does anyone else think it sounds interesting?, or even fancy having a look at what is possible?.

Edited by sinclairuser

• 2 weeks later...

These proof of concept videos are quite impressive, I have heard that 480i timings are difficult though. I imagine this mod would be very difficult to get full compatibility, to do so requires almost re-inventing the wheel. From my understanding the Xbox GPU normally feeds it's digital output to a video encoder. https://xboxdevwiki.net/Video_Encoder The video encoder does several jobs including scaling, filtering, and overscan compensation. Different Xbox revisions have different video encoders, in fact if you attempt to use an older BIOS on an Xbox with a newer video encoder, it will refuse to boot (I know from experience). The video encoder has no digital output at all. Therefore the functions it carries out would have to be re-implemented, with signals from the board carefully monitored to check for requests to carry out such functions and emulate them. I know that one of them is Macrovision enforcement if you use the original DVD playback kit from the original MS dashboard. You'd have to trick the Xbox into believing the feature is enabled somehow. I could be very wrong but that's the impression I've got. Kudos to anyone attempting such a thing! If you do manage to pull it off it would be an awesome engineering feat! In the meantime I think having an analog to digital conversion soldered as close as possible to the component output is a good compromise, provided that the mainboard is in good enough condition. The filtering capacitors on the mainboard can make a difference here, it may be worth replacing them to get a cleaner output.

Edited by samspin

• 2 weeks later...