OGXbox.com

Sudden Failure, Still Boots but Evo-X Menu Is Super Slow

twoballscrewball

Hi all, 

First post here.   Have my soft modded OG xbox that I have had for probably 18 years.   Has a 120GB HDD in it, and I use it mostly for Mame at this point. 

Just last evening, it started doing something very strange. 

It boots up OK, I get the factory boot animation, "Matrix Inside", etc, but then when it transitions to the EVO-X menu, the screen only updates what looks like a frame every 2 seconds.   It will slloooooowly fade in the EVO-X menu, then I can hold "down" on the controller and it will slooooowly move from one menu entry to the next.  It's almost unusable.   

Once I start an app, everything is OK.   For example, Mame works fine.   It just literally takes 5-10 minutes to get through the menu to start it up. 

It has been probably 15 years since I have messed with this thing, as far as modifying anything.   Anyone have any suggestion as to what might be going on?

So I actually found my old Slayer EVO-X auto installer dvd.   I was going to see if I could run it in.   I connected a network cable to the thing, and it booted up fine!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been messing with it for 2 days so that is a crazy coincidence, if it is a coincidence at all.   Rebooted it a few times and it's good.   Pulled the network cable, still good.   No idea now, but I guess I'll just be happy its working again :)

I do notice now if I go into the factory system settings from EVO-X, I get a red flashing light and code 21.   Maybe the thing is finally on it's way out :(  Will be a sad day if that happens.... 

Thanks for the reply Steo1024,