OGXbox.com

Aladin Advanced and Hardware Troubles

penalizer

So I've got a 1.6 xbox with an aladin advanced chip installed.

It currently gives the error 16. iirc thats just a hard drive problem, which last time i fixed by installing a new ide hdd.

The thing is i no longer see the evox text at the corner during the splash screen.

I know the mod chip is supposed to turn on at pressing the power button 2 secs and off at 1. But that doesnt seem to work now.

Pressing for any length of time under like 6 secs gets me the normal splash. at the second audible click the power button just flashes red/yellow.

ideally it would like to just boot from a slayers 2.7 cd or so to fix the dash, maybe install a bigger sata one later.

would installing a new hdd with xboxHDm fix this?

Do you think the mod chip is borked, and what do you think my options are?

Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the reply.  unfortunately neither powering in with eject nor trying out slayers from dvd helped. i think i had to press the white and black buttons to make it boot from disk, it didnt work.

would you resolder everything trying to find the bad joint? or would the chip have to be reflashed as well so you're better off just ordering a new mod chip?

Edited by penalizer

14 hours ago, penalizer said:

So I've got a 1.6 xbox with an aladin advanced chip installed.

It currently gives the error 16. iirc thats just a hard drive problem, which last time i fixed by installing a new ide hdd.

The thing is i no longer see the evox text at the corner during the splash screen.

I know the mod chip is supposed to turn on at pressing the power button 2 secs and off at 1. But that doesnt seem to work now.

Pressing for any length of time under like 6 secs gets me the normal splash. at the second audible click the power button just flashes red/yellow.

ideally it would like to just boot from a slayers 2.7 cd or so to fix the dash, maybe install a bigger sata one later.

would installing a new hdd with xboxHDm fix this?

Do you think the mod chip is borked, and what do you think my options are?

Thanks, any help is greatly appreciated.

Error 16 is loss of clock data.  While trying to load the MS dashboard file to set the date/time, it is not found; thus, the error.  When the clock capacitor has been drained by unplugging it from AC power for over 3 to 4 hours, the data is lost and requires being set again. The stock BIOS loads the file to set the date/time.  Some hacked BIOS's skip the clock check. Your's must not or the console is booting the stock BIOS from the motherboard's TSOP flash chip, not from the modchip.

Or, the clock cap has leaked and no longer functions properly.  Not has high a chance of this happening on a 1.6 console but all caps can go bad.  The leaked electrolyte will corrode traces on the motherboard.  Clean up any mess with 91%+ isopropyl alcohol. Top and bottom side of the motherboard and anywhere else it has ran to inside the case.  Again, leaked electrolyte hasn't been a problem on 1.6's but there are many other caps near the PSU connector that leak on them.

What BIOS version are you using?  

If you don't see the Evox shield that was always displayed before this problem, the modchip's BIOS is not booting.  The console is booting the stock BIOS.

Red/Yellow (orange, amber) flashing Eject ring indicates RAM error.

Thank you for your knowledgable input.

I didn't solder this one myself, i bought it on ebay a year ago. The seller packed in the receipt, it simply says "bios: XECUTER 2", i have no idea what stock bios is used.

Thanks for clarification on error 16, as i said it happened before a year ago, incidentally when i switched out the hdd. makes a lot of sense. In the past i've had a few error 21's  as well popping up sporadically, you know the dashboard one. all of which could be quickly fixed because the chip was booting.

On 9/28/2019 at 2:39 AM, KaosEngineer said:

Red/Yellow (orange, amber) flashing Eject ring indicates RAM error.

Let's hope it's just my red/green deficiency and not something serious.

On 9/27/2019 at 4:06 PM, c0tt0nm0ufh said:

I agree it kind of sounds like a solder joint might have gotten a little loose.  Did you also solder the Alladin so that it was always on?

It isn't soldered that way, do you think it's worth a try? cleaning the board with iso and then soldering it to be always on.

I've had the time to disassemble it, please tell me if something catches your eye or if you need better pictures.

I'm no expert but the joints look ok.

There could indeed be a bit of residue near the PSU connector. The residue on the backplate part of the mod chip is just glue from some masking tape.

xb4.jpg

xb5.jpg

xb6.jpg

xb7.jpg

xb8.jpg

xb9.jpg

xb10.jpg

xb11.jpg

xb1.jpg

xb2.jpg

xb3.jpg

Hi penalizer

As Mentioned be for I would set the chip to always on by linking the BT point like the pic below as there is not need to run the Xbox with the chip disabled any more (no xbox live to get band from anymore)

IMG_20190831_181310.jpg.78c89ec38c6fdb0604fe3bcce859414a.jpg

Remove both brown wires from BT and L1 and add a link BT to GND leave D0 where it is.

It's hard to tell from the pic's but I would re-solder the 1.6 rebuild board manly the points in squares.

I only ever used 1 of the rebuild boards as I preferred to hard wire it as it's easier to see if the connections are good.

1713555939_ver1.6rebuild.jpg.1e67ebc16ae08e75efca0d4534395b41.jpg

Don't worry about the stuff on the board around the power connector.

Let us know how you get on.

SS Dave