OGXbox.com

XBox Power Supply Upgrades, Why Are They Neglected?

US-Solidsnake8997

Why is it the ram and cpu upgrades on the original xbox are done.  But those that do fail to upgrade the next most vital component in your console pcs.  Upgrade you power supplies to a larger one to give the system better response time and a deeper well of wattage to pull from.  Put an atx in there that has 2 12 v rails and make sure that board has all the power running to it efficiently  a 80 or 90 % percent efficient 400 or 500 or 300 watt power supply will give you so many more options for cooling and give that mainboard all the power it needs to function better than ever.  Also put low esr capacitors on the board or aluminum polymer capacitors that run at a lower frequenzy and run cooler for you system to truly modernize it.  I see the cpu upgrade the ram upgrade, the firmware upgrade, the cosmetic upgrades, but no power upgrades, no capacitor component upgrades.  Why are you people not doing this with your retro game consoles.  Seriously why has no xbox with the formentioned upgrades that are common talked about not complimented with a larger power supply.  And don't give me that crap about the system only uses so much power blah blah blah.  That isn't true.  A more efficient power supply and low esr capacitors will do wonders for you system.  I did a power supply upgrade for the playstation 2 and i can tell you it works better than ever and i can put a 12v fan in it and still give the main board all the power it could ever need with a 180 watt imac power supply from an apple imac A1224 i have 3 for sale on ebay see them there nicely painted and perform better and have a big boy pc grounded 3 pin 110v-250v ac in plug.  Also line filters Emi filters,  get them there amazing.  

just in case this thread gives anyone ideas, the 1.0,1.1 has an AT style mainboard power socket but its pin-out is non standard.

the 1.2,1.3 1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.6b have ATX style mainboard power sockets but its pin-out is also non standard.

so don't go shoving PC power supplies into your xbox, study the pin-outs carefully(if you really must try it), or you might just Foobar your box.

Edited by sinclairuser
spelling

I'd consider a PSU replacement like pico because I actually had a 1.0 xbox smoke up 3000+ sq walk out basement when I lived with my parents. Fortunately I was able to open doors and windows to air it out but it started at the PSU with big black mark across the system board from PSU. I'm guessing it was the solder points were screwed where it plugs in and probably one of the things that prevents this is that huge wall wart that microsoft released afterwards that can trip if issues arise.

Sorry for the rant :S

I purposed this topic im working on puting an atx power supply in it.  But i fried one motherboard because of a pinout issue i did a 1.0 backwards.  Fried that sucker.  But thats my first xbox im on the second.  now hopeing this one will work out.  I did the ram upgrade and a mod chip to the first one.  See my other topic upgrade the cpu to amd athlon xp mobile socket 563.  Thats my goal that i would like to attempt with the xbox but for now im going to just do power paint, ram mod chip.  recapp restore.  I referenced 2 diagrams one from the hacking the xbox book and the other off google image.  It just said front on it.  I thought it was coming back to front.  They need to put a pointer on that thing.  Plus i looked at the circuit on the motherboard and it appeared as though the ground pins where near the front of the xbox 1.0.  I reversed the pinout and fried a motherboard.  But in doing so i fried the voltage regulator removed it and decided to do some googling on part numbers.  To see if there is a better one.  I found one after i did a search best 8 bit mcu and got an ic  That was similiar i didn't download the pdf though dang it i just relized it.  There a new upgrade to perform like the super nintendo. 

Alright here is the alternative or possible alternative i found doing a few searches.  PIC16F886-SO.  The pinout seem the same and bet these things would be 90 cents or something from ali express or from china.  You would have to pull your old one off your mother board and rip the firmware off of it. Also this is for the version 1.1 and 1.2xbox.   Pinouts are identical but this ic chip witch has 28 pins short pins not long.  Has a lower operating voltage or starting minimum voltage.  It would run cooler if it can handle a larger input starting voltage.  But im not sure i would have to study the pdf and im not electrical engineer or anything so when its get technical i have to google the terms used.  gate volt gateway drain, rise I mean i can read the pinout and see that it matches but it might be a little different.  If you voltage regulator has blown out in your xbox and you have the board or donor board you could pull the chip rip the firmware using a programmer and adapter then resolder it back down to the motherboard. 

Here is my psu mod using a solid gear flex atx 320 watt power supply.  I'm still working on fitment fan issue.  My larger fan won't let me push the motherboard in properly to line up with its regular mounts.  110v aluminum fan at the back.  The console is working but i still need a place for the hard drive. 

Question, after aladdin xt install can i do the ram upgrade and have no problems booting up.  Does the aladdin xt act like the tosp flash.  Is it better then the TSOP flash.  I got the chip on here yesterday. 

I still have to adjust my case fitment wire cable lengths and all that.  I left my cable lengths way long in case my 1.1 v died and i had to use a different version so i would have some slack to cut and resolder another wire plug in.  I Removed all the rails off the power supply and then soldered in my own.  Its very crampted because i used larger gauge wire then the power supply is suppost to have on it and i added a couple of extra cables.  I had a bunch of wire harness from the dead precision 690 and dell precision 5400 and 5500 pcs lying around so i used the wire off those to save money on cables. 

I melted a 24 pin ATX  connector and pull out all the wires on one side of it.  Then sanded it down to make my one single file 12 pin plug connector out of it.  My motherboard is recapped , My power supply is recapped as well with low esr capacitors,  I did the same for the 24 pin connector on the board.  I desoldered a 24 pin connector and sanded it down and melted it down then soldered it into the motherboard.  I pulled off a non working pc motherboard.  See photos.  5v to 3.3vsb is down using logic ic with a tuner on it.  Its  a step down transformer.  transforming my 5vsb into 3.3vsb.  My reads 3.54 volts.  The console will start with this. 

DSCN0416.JPG

DSCN0419.JPG

DSCN0426.JPG

DSCN0431edit.jpg

On 9/29/2019 at 6:08 PM, EnkryptiK said:

I'd consider a PSU replacement like pico because I actually had a 1.0 xbox smoke up 3000+ sq walk out basement when I lived with my parents. Fortunately I was able to open doors and windows to air it out but it started at the PSU with big black mark across the system board from PSU. I'm guessing it was the solder points were screwed where it plugs in and probably one of the things that prevents this is that huge wall wart that microsoft released afterwards that can trip if issues arise.

Sorry for the rant :S

sorry to here your system went down.  Usually the psu out lives the other hardware.  Bigger is always better with power supplies but not to big for the application.  Reasonably bigger power supply So the power supply iteself doesn't get underworked with too low a load.  I redid mine again i posted photos of this morning then this late afternoon.  Afternoon photos show a better done power supply mod.  I shorten my cables down. 

Wrong on that?

It can be overclocked witch means it can pull more wattage.  I'm talking after ram and cpu or overclock upgrade.  Plus a more efficient power supply will always help the system with response time.  The board will never ask for power and not receive it with a bigger power supply.  And when the psu starts to wear down it is still  operating under low load, so it will power the main board better completely instead of not enough power cause it's wearing out.  Power supplies and motherboards have dramatically shrunk .  You should upgrade you power supply for the console.    Power is the single greatest upgrade you can do for your system It helps everything.  Like water to the human body.  dummy. 

• 3 years later...
On 9/23/2019 at 12:22 PM, eeksdee said:

The Xbox doesn't pull enough power to warrant PSU upgrades. You can replace entirely using something like a PicoPSU, and there's ATX adapters made (behind N64 Freaks paywall).

https://xboxdevwiki.net/Power_Supply#Real_world_power_usage

were do i buy ATX adapters made (behind N64 Freaks paywall).??????

19 hours ago, syfer1987 said:

were do i buy ATX adapters made (behind N64 Freaks paywall).??????

DirtyPCBs.com 

His ATX adapters:

For v1.0/1.1 - https://dirtypcbs.com/store/designer/details/7953/6277/xboxatx-zip

For v1.2-1.4 - https://dirtypcbs.com/store/designer/details/7953/6278/xbox-atx-adapter-for-revision-1-2-up-to-1-5

There's not one available for v1.6 Xboxes.

You'll have to install all of the parts yourself.  BOM on back of the PCB plus the two connectors.

• 2 weeks later...

Can i ask does any one have a video guide on how to connect xbox to atx power suplay as the Xbox ATX Adapter for Revision 1.2 up to 1.5 as the dirtypcbs shows on Xbox ATX Adapter for Revision 1.2 up to 1.5 but i have no idea on how to use this Xbox ATX Adapter as its not normal computer cable were you can buy plugin does dirtypcbs not sell a pre made wire that's plug in play?

16 hours ago, syfer1987 said:

Can i ask does any one have a video guide on how to connect xbox to atx power suplay as the Xbox ATX Adapter for Revision 1.2 up to 1.5 as the dirtypcbs shows on Xbox ATX Adapter for Revision 1.2 up to 1.5 but i have no idea on how to use this Xbox ATX Adapter as its not normal computer cable were you can buy plugin does dirtypcbs not sell a pre made wire that's plug in play?

See this page with comments about your question.

You have there some schematics on how you can build your own. I went with the schematic posted by me and it works just fine years later. Of course people who sell mods will downplay the easy solution. :)

Just go with the best PSU you got and best components you find.

Edited by daniel