OGXbox.com

XBox Wont Turn On, Is This Part On Psu Bad. What Is This Called?

masterchief217

My OG xbox wont turn on. Not a single bulging or leaky cap. I was going to replace all the caps but I noticed this and I dont know what it is, how to tell if its bad or how to order a new one. It looks kinda burned on the top but it just appears to be the rubber and not the part itself. is there a way to check it with a multi meter. The part I am asking about is the one in the first picture

IMG_20190922_144648.jpg

IMG_20190922_145117.jpg

IMG_20190922_145101.jpg

IMG_20190922_145030.jpg

IMG_20190922_145113.jpg

Its a Metal Oxide Varistor, It looks blown to me, you will need to ckeck the fuse also and replace one or both as needed.  It protects against over voltage spikes from the mains power.

If you razor blade the plastic cover off it you will most likely see it is burnt and cracked. 

1 hour ago, jhark said:

Its a Metal Oxide Varistor, It looks blown to me, you will need to ckeck the fuse also and replace one or both as needed.  It protects against over voltage spikes from the mains power.

If you razor blade the plastic cover off it you will most likely see it is burnt and cracked. 

THAnK YOU. I did a continuity test and the fuse is blown. the metal oxide varistor is cracked. I dont see any part numbers or voltages or anything. how do I find the right replacement parts?

the exact part is TVR 20241X You may have to google the datasheet on that part and find a equivalent part on  ebay.

one rated for 200 or 220 VRMS should be fine if you are in the USA using 120v. If that is a Europe PSU i'm not sure what the part number is.  Or if in a bind you can tare apart an old plug strip sometimes you can salvage one or more out of them..

Edited by jhark
added info

On 9/23/2019 at 7:10 AM, jhark said:

the exact part is TVR 20241X You may have to google the datasheet on that part and find a equivalent part on  ebay.

one rated for 200 or 220 VRMS should be fine if you are in the USA using 120v. If that is a Europe PSU i'm not sure what the part number is.  Or if in a bind you can tare apart an old plug strip sometimes you can salvage one or more out of them..

I cannot seem to find it or an equivalent part and I dont know how to read the data sheet. From what I looked up its a surge protector. If I always have the xbox plugged in to a surge protector could I bypass it?

If your in the USA this should work

https://www.radioshack.com/products/surge-protector

But that and the fuse is more than likely the tip of the iceburg.

You could tempory disconect it ONLY for TESTING but when you have repaired the rest of the damage replace it!!!!

Foot note

Be carefull working on the power supply as there can be voltages higher than the input meening 110volt input around 220 volt on the board 220 in 400 in the board.

1 hour ago, SS_Dave said:

If your in the USA this should work

https://www.radioshack.com/products/surge-protector

But that and the fuse is more than likely the tip of the iceburg.

You could tempory disconect it ONLY for TESTING but when you have repaired the rest of the damage replace it!!!!

Foot note

Be carefull working on the power supply as there can be voltages higher than the input meening 110volt input around 220 volt on the board 220 in 400 in the board.

So I tried that and it cought fire. The wires I installed are melted but I dont see anything else obviously wrong. Is it possible to get a replacement psu or should I just buy a new xbox.

• 4 months later...