OGXbox.com

Amd Athlon Cpu Upgrade the Xbox

US-Solidsnake8997

Would any you know if it would be possible to run a amd athlon thunderbird 1.4ghz inside the xbox?  Its the rival to the pentium III with a socket A 462 could it be done.  Could the cpu socket be modified to run this cpu?  Any relevant information and ideas and thoughs would be welcome.  No negative nancies ,  Keep those to yourself. 

36 minutes ago, US-Solidsnake8997 said:

Would any you know if it would be possible to run a amd athlon thunderbird 1.4ghz inside the xbox?  Its the rival to the pentium III with a socket A 462 could it be done.  Could the cpu socket be modified to run this cpu?  Any relevant information and ideas and thoughs would be welcome.  No negative nancies ,  Keep those to yourself. 

You'd need to figure out how to make an adapter for the pins and make sure the voltages and signals match.

• Thanks 1

Originally Xbox was going to use an AMD Processor/CPU.   Don't shoot down ideas based on assumption. 

Last minute design change put the Intel based CPU in the system according to reverse engineer Andrew Huang. He wrote a book on reverse engineering the Xbox.   Below is a modified quote of His published book and or findings,  Hacking the Xbox 

I added definitions from google on the terms used in his book. 

"In addition, it was rumored that Microsoft had originally chosen an AMD processor for the Xbox, and switched to Intel at the last minute. If custom blocks were integrated into the processor core, Microsoft could not have switched between CPU vendors so easily. On the other hand, nVidia’s chipsets are designed modularly  (Modularly: Constructed out of usually prefabricated units with standardized dimensions, allowing for easy assembly and flexible arrangement ) using silicon compilers:(, A silicon compiler :is a software system that takes a user's specifications and automatically generates an integrated circuit)  so it is technically easier to add warts like a secure boot block. Furthermore, the chipset in the Xbox is a custom build of the  nForce made just for Microsoft, tailored specifically for an Intel front-side bus (FSB)."

Point being there are pc motherboards very similiar to the original xbox that use the same unified memory architecture.  Amd cpu motherboards also use this same chipset style or the nvidia Nforce.  Its universally created.  Witch is the pc version of the original xbox.  Or closest chipset style to the xbox. 

On 9/23/2019 at 5:06 PM, US-Solidsnake8997 said:

Originally Xbox was going to use an AMD Processor/CPU.   Don't shoot down ideas based on assumption. 

Last minute design change put the Intel based CPU in the system according to reverse engineer Andrew Huang. He wrote a book on reverse engineering the Xbox.   Below is a modified quote of His published book and or findings,  Hacking the Xbox 

I added definitions from google on the terms used in his book. 

"In addition, it was rumored that Microsoft had originally chosen an AMD processor for the Xbox, and switched to Intel at the last minute. If custom blocks were integrated into the processor core, Microsoft could not have switched between CPU vendors so easily. On the other hand, nVidia’s chipsets are designed modularly  (Modularly: Constructed out of usually prefabricated units with standardized dimensions, allowing for easy assembly and flexible arrangement ) using silicon compilers:(, A silicon compiler :is a software system that takes a user's specifications and automatically generates an integrated circuit)  so it is technically easier to add warts like a secure boot block. Furthermore, the chipset in the Xbox is a custom build of the  nForce made just for Microsoft, tailored specifically for an Intel front-side bus (FSB)."

Point being there are pc motherboards very similiar to the original xbox that use the same unified memory architecture.  Amd cpu motherboards also use this same chipset style or the nvidia Nforce.  Its universally created.  Witch is the pc version of the original xbox.  Or closest chipset style to the xbox. 

interesting post, it may be possible what you would need is two mainboards both with the same nforce chipset one for pentium 3 and the other for athlon

it would be best to find a series of boards where the near identical boards were used but with different sockets and go from there, the sad thing is the generation before (socket 7) would be a cake walk since the boards were cross compatible, however i would not expect the divergence between processor cores to be that great.

in previous generations the boards were intel standard socketed, i cant remember now whether it was amd or intel who insisted on a different slot pinout but that was the divergence point, then it moved to socket 370 and socket a.

but during the slot motherboard era there were allsorts of converter boards for slot 1, at the time i'm almost positive there were slotkets as they were called for via cyrix iii and cyrixc3 processors, these were also available for slot a  motherboards as well.

the cyrix could run on both SLOT A and SLOT 1(with different slot cards), the two differing motherboards used the same 242 pin slot and while mechanically compatible they were not electrically compatible.

so you may be onto something but its a huge task, you would need two main boards for the socketed type (socket 370 and socket a) and two slot type main boards(slot1 and slot a), just to map the two architectures you might get lucky but its a lot of work and you would need proper equipment to reverse engineer the two board types.

for me a more interesting question would be "could you build an adapter board to run cyrix c3 processors on xbox motherboards under linux?".                                                                                                                                                                                                                

Progress update AMD cpu upgrade instead of the pentium III in the xbox. 

I got my first xbox and decapped it and removed and disected it thats what im doing right now.  Looking for cpu canadates or other mod ideas.  Anyone ever try to just put a socket 495 cpu in it

The xbox is suppost to be socket 495 so the 495 chips would be the closest to a direct replacement i would assume.  They have a lower front side bus though.  Would this be a possible upgrade with no adapter required?

It goes against my other idea for the amd cpu but still to get an early upgrade going will raise my spirits on this endeavor

on this idea i put fourth...  Socket 462 is really large in physical size after i finally picked one up on the ziff socket.  There is also a socket 563 or AMD socket 563 that looks a little more doable then the 462.  Amd cpu Athlon XP-M FOR MOBILE.  It comes in lower tdp of 25 to 35 watts as well.  Better for that power issue.  I have to get one in real life to get a measurement on it.  Socket 462 ziff non mobile is really big in size. 

Im not sure the difference between the tualatin physical size and the old athlons .  Any old pc builders from the past out there.  Please if you see this post enlighten me on the cpu sizes or physical sizes and pinouts bga sockets.  Cpu collectors out there please send me pictures and or give me the link to your online gallerie's.

I need real life measurements and photos of socket 462 mobile vs non mobile 462,  Amd socket 462.  Also socket 563 amd socket 563 mobile ziff and bga.  Pentium tualatin phyiscal size vs mobile vs bga etc.  Are there adapters for the amd socket 563.  So a 462 can go in it. 

Is the amd socket 462 the same as the 563 and 563 is just the bga version of the 462.  It has me confused right now

In fact if this topic is interesting to you and you want to progress it please donate to me some old amd cpus if you have them laying around in the above mentioned sockets socket 495/socket 462 mobile, socket 563 any amd adapters that i haven't discovered yet.  Message me for contact info or shipping info i would even buy them from you.  There very rare chips. 

• Like 1