OGXbox.com

Recurring Error 16 On 1.6 Softmod

nikeymikey

I have a 1.6 xbox that i softmodded using rockys softmod, this somehow suffered an error 16 (cant set clock). I fixed it by using my x3 box to rebuild the hdd (both boxes have nulled keys) after rebuilding the box back to stock by ftping the Clean C and E files to the hdd i put it back in the 1.6 box and booted. All worked perfectly, i set the clock and re softmodded, ftp'd some games, emus and apps across and all was good.

However it had been unplugged for the night last night, plugged it in this morning and booted and got the damn error 16 again.  I though 1.6 xbox's didnt suffer the same capacitor problem as the older boxes and also that rockys softmod  avooided the clock issue??

Any ideas anyone before i go through the whole rebuild process again??

Evox.ini has a jump to MS dash for the clock fail that could cause that.

I have mine set to NO that way if the clock is not matching the time and date of the files it just keeps booting.

I also have network access for the Xbox's to set the time automatically.

So have a look for a setting for clock skip or clock error ?

And yes clock caps for version 1.6 are starting to fail but when that happens the box will not boot 

• Like 1

Some usless info

A super cap (the clock cap) has a working life at room temp of 5 to 10 years with a recharge cycles of well over 100 thousand

A normal cap can be 20 plus years at room temp

as aposed to a lithium-ion battery  3-5 years.

Stanard room temp is classed at 23 c (73 f) and I believe that higher temps shorten the life.

The clock cap only keeps the time for a few hours.  If you unplug it overnight, the date/time will be lost on any version Xbox.

A softmod has files in different locations than a hard modded console.  You can't build the hard drive to work properly for a softmodded console.  There's a hidden copy of the C drive contents and a shadow C (what you see once the softmod activates) that needs to have a copy of the MS dashboard files stored to it.  

Which version/build of Rocky5's Softmod is installed?

However, with Rocky5's softmod installed, it should not give an error 16 after installed even after AC power has been unplugged long enough for the clock capacitor's charge has been drained to low to keep the clock running.  

45 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

The clock cap only keeps the time for a few hours.  If you unplug it overnight, the date/time will be lost on any version Xbox.

A softmod has files in different locations than a hard modded console.  You can't build the hard drive to work properly for a softmodded console.  There's a hidden copy of the C drive contents and a shadow C (what you see once the softmod activates) that needs to have a copy of the MS dashboard files stored to it.  

Which version/build of Rocky5's Softmod is installed?

However, with Rocky5's softmod installed, it should not give an error 16 after installed even after AC power has been unplugged long enough for the clock capacitor's charge has been drained to low to keep the clock running.  

The red text is exactly what i thought was the case. I formatted and rebuilt the hdd back to stock and then re ran Rockys softmod installer, i thought it was all good after that but the error 16 came back. I will try the while process again from scratch and see what happens.

If I can teach a 14 year old school girl to solder you can learn too after a week of soldering and even repairing a car amp (replacing the outputs) on her own she was over the moon.

I really is just practice. Get some old PCB's and practice soldering wire to a range of points and then inspect the joints with a magnifying glass and when you think your good to go live on a working mother board stop and pratice some more on the old PCB's.

I know it's easy for me to say as I have over 40 years practice but it is really just practice. A good soledring iron help you don't need to spend heaps just somthing with temp control and a range of tips. Don't get lead free solder it's shit to use.

I will consider the cipping if the 1.6 but the good news is ive fixed this xbox for now, Its all booting again. I put the hdd back into my x3 box, formatted it and then ftpd across the files for Rockys Sotmod installer (XBHDM edition :) ) Now im using the 1.1.6 edition (thanks Kaos). Puth the drive bck in the v1.6 and hey presto all booted, softmodded and working great!!!

• 11 months later...

Nothing like a resurrecting a 12 month old thread:D

Although I have a 1.6 working with a original 40 way cable on a chinese IDE to Sata with 3tb drive for nearly 2 months now.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.