OGXbox.com

Softmod,Modchip,Tsop Flash

SS_Dave

If you have read some of my replys to posting's you may have noticed that I am a bit anti softmod.

For me If I get a Version 1 to 1.4 (1.5?) I will flash the thing if it's a version 1.6 it get's a chip.

Me I use the 007AUF game hack to flash a new xbox and I have seen the compleate kit's popup on Fleebay (The game disk,USB with game save,USB to Xbox lead) it sure beats softmoding to then flash a XBOX especially if your going to do more than 1.

I know some people can't solder but with the early box's conductive paint is the go. If you cant solder print the instructions and go and find a electronics tech and ask nicely for help. Go armed with a liquid bribe (Beer/Wine,Etc)helps some times.

So here is your chance to convince me to softmod or even the pros and cons of soft modding or do you fit chips in version's 1.0 to 1.4

Cheers All

SS Dave

1 hour ago, SS_Dave said:

If you have read some of my replys to posting's you may have noticed that I am a bit anti softmod.

For me If I get a Version 1 to 1.4 (1.5?) I will flash the thing if it's a version 1.6 it get's a chip.

Me I use the 007AUF game hack to flash a new xbox and I have seen the compleate kit's popup on Fleebay (The game disk,USB with game save,USB to Xbox lead) it sure beats softmoding to then flash a XBOX especially if your going to do more than 1.

I know some people can't solder but with the early box's conductive paint is the go. If you cant solder print the instructions and go and find a electronics tech and ask nicely for help. Go armed with a liquid bribe (Beer/Wine,Etc)helps some times.

So here is your chance to convince me to softmod or even the pros and cons of soft modding or do you fit chips in version's 1.0 to 1.4

Cheers All

SS Dave

honestly, since i joined the scene in 2008, I myself have been very anti softmod. I only learned about tsop around 2011-2012. and only recently successfully tsoped 3 1.4 boards. otherwise, its always been a chip.

just my 2 cent experience.

Hi nikeymikey

Parts needed 

A Xbox memory card or a usb in XFAT with the 007AUF game save hack and the BIOS you plan on using

Original 007 Agent Under Fire game disk.

The method I use. 

Strip the xbox and solder links on PCB for TSOP Flash.

Reasemble Xbox but leave the hard drive loose as your more than likely going to swap it out 

Boot to MS dash and copy 007AUF game save to harddisk from memory card/USB

Insert 007AUF game in the DVD drive and power cycle the Xbox.

When the game has loaded you load mission from drive .

In under 10 seconds the LED ring goes orange the around1 minute later the box switches off.

Now swap HDD to your new one load your favourite install disk and follow the bouncing ball.

The hardest bit is getting a 007AUF disk.

There was the same using Mechassult Deluxe but I have not tried it.

If you want I can upload both versions of the Hack.

SS Dave

@SS_Dave

Wow that’s seems much easier, saves doing the softmod. Although I do also use the softmod to mull the hdd key before flashing, but I suppose that can be done after. 

Is there any progress bar or anything to show it’s being flashed? I’ve had 2 go wrong during the flash procedure recently resulting in dead dragging boxes. 

I have a Agent Under Fire disc so if you could upload the files that would be great and if I’m brave enough I’ll give it a go 😂

Quick question... I use the conductive paint method to connect the flash points. I tried to reflash one last night that had previously been flashed to iND 5003 a week ago, during the flash process it froze during the erase portion. Do you think this could be down to the paint drying out too much and not being conductive enough anymore? Should I have cleaned it off and reapplied it before flashing?

Edited by nikeymikey

Hi nikeymikey

There is no bar graph the screen goes black.

The 1st time I panicked just have some faith. The 1st Flash I did was done via FTP and the same happend orange eject ring and black screen

I have not tried it on a SHARP TSOP as I have never had one.

Unzip this and have a look at the readme file. This came from robert@eurasia

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lirhyy8vrw77c14/007_tsop_flash_kit_1_0_alpha6.zip?dl=0

As for the paint clean it off and clean the mother board and try again maybe a light scrap of the solder pionts it should not matter if the paint is wet or dry.

Did you say you got error 21 after the flash?

Any questions just ask.

SS Dave

• Like 1

If you want to try the 007AUF hack try flashing a DuoX2 chip that way you can use the 2nd BIOS on the chip to recover it if need be

Also Check the size of the BIOS  befor you copy to the new Xbox

I was playing with custom made BIOS and flashed a 256k to a version 1 box it that shoud have been a 1meg and it FRAGed if thats the case that's not to hard to recover from.

SS Dave

• Like 1

The one that balls’d up yesterday was a 1.0, doesn’t evox from hexen resize the bios to fit if you use a 256k? Thing is it didn’t even get that far to flashing, it froze during the erase part.  

Come to think of it the error 21 i have on the other box wasn’t a flash issue so that’s a different issue. I know I can fix that with my eeprom reader, nulling the hdd key and then rebuilding the drive with the dumped eeprom.

I am giving away my secrets here.

For the version 1 box try this. It's going to be a bit of fiddling but I have used it on a customers Xbox and 1 I stuffed as well

3wire.png.7a2f96fabc606fad1ecfa397d66ec3b6.png

You should be able to poke the wire in the holes and maybe some tape to hold down and any ground point will work fine.

• Like 2

With some work you can have 4 diffarent BIOS's on a version 1.0/1.1 as they have a 1meg chip that you can control with switches to make 4  256k banks.

The post above is just telling the xbox to read the 1st 256k of the chip and not the whole 1024kb.

Also remember that some chips like the DUO-X2 use a 512kb size bios

23 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

For the version 1 box try this. It's going to be a bit of fiddling but I have used it on a customers Xbox and 1 I stuffed as well

You should be able to poke the wire in the holes and maybe some tape to hold down and any ground point will work fine.

I don’t think this will work because the flashing failed during the erase and didn’t actually start to reflash. I’ll guve it a try first tho cos it seems quite quick to do. 👍🏻

2 hours ago, M0RPH10U5 said:

@nikeymikey the method I gave you using the chip I sent to you booting from the 256k bios, is another way to flash tsop without a soft mod, because it boots a special bios that boots from the lpc, but allows writing to the tsop, that bios being called tsop_m7, I've already included it on your chip.

Aha I didnt think of that!

2 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

I tried flashing the Tsop_M7 Bios in a mod chip to recover the version box 1 flashed incorectly.

Could not get it working so I did the 3 wire trick to fix it.

When I get the urge I have a play with the M7 hacked Bios again.

Did you ground D0 and A15? If not it won't boot at all. With both points grounded, the LED's on the front of the box will start flashing, at that point you remove D0 from ground, then you will see the strange colored x logo, at which point you remove A15 from ground. This is when tsop becomes flashable. But you also have to have hexen or similar disc in the DVD drive when booting. If all was done correctly, it should have booted, if the steps were followed, then I'm not sure what caused it to fail, as I've done it 3 separate times all on 1.4 boards.

On 9/17/2019 at 12:31 PM, SS_Dave said:

Well I’ll be fucked!!! I tried this on my 1.1 tsop that was corrupted and what do you know I actually fixed it!! Now boots perfectly to ind bios 5004.67 

Thanks Dave you legend!! 

2 hours ago, nikeymikey said:

Well I’ll be fucked!!! I tried this on my 1.1 tsop that was corrupted and what do you know I actually fixed it!! Now boots perfectly to ind bios 5004.67 

Thanks Dave you legend!! 

59 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Ye of little fath.

At least you got it going again now you can flash the corect size "1024kb"

if you got it to boot using the 3 wire trick, make sure you untie those wires before you flash the 1M bios. That 3 wire trick is a method also known as Tsop Splitting. and can only be performed on a 1.0 or a 1.1. tying the 2 wires to a ground wire makes it boot the first 256k of the tsop, thats how you get away with flashing multipule bios's to the tsop on 1.0 and 1.1. So if you are going to flash the full 1M, make sure the wires are not tied, leaving them tied will only write the first 256k, and it will fail again.

1 minute ago, M0RPH10U5 said:

if you got it to boot using the 3 wire trick, make sure you untie those wires before you flash the 1M bios. That 3 wire trick is a method also known as Tsop Splitting. and can only be performed on a 1.0 or a 1.1. tying the 2 wires to a ground wire makes it boot the first 256k of the tsop, thats how you get away with flashing multipule bios's to the tsop on 1.0 and 1.1. So if you are going to flash the full 1M, make sure the wires are not tied, leaving them tied will only write the first 256k, and it will fail again.

And that's what it states in the pic I posted!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, SS_Dave said:

Ye of little fath.

At least you got it going again now you can flash the corect size "1024kb"

40 minutes ago, M0RPH10U5 said:

Untied the wires and flashed Ind Bios 5004.67, everything is booting perfectly, stuck a 500gb sata with adapter and 80 wire cable in it. :)