OGXbox.com

Weird Dashboard Issue

crushingyourhead

I recently picked up a 1.6 Crystal at a thrift store for cheap. It even had a replacement 160gb installed with the newest build of EvoX Dashboard defaulting, a couple of games, emulators and movies. Pretty good score!

But I'm not the biggest fan of EvoX. I can work with it (and XBMC is also installed) but I'd rather do UnleashX. However, when I FTP up a copy and try to run the dash xbe, I just get kicked back to EvoX. Trying to boot the MS Dash gives me the same result. Interestingly, XBMC dash does start properly.

Any great ideas? Could it have anything to do with a bios version? I know almost nothing about the various types. I'm also assuming TSOP modded.

I've already tried booting up a Hexen disk and poking around, but of course, the DVD drive is pretty crappy and its not reading the disk...You get what you pay for!

Thanks

What version is the kernel?  Some Evoxdash skins display it and/or the BIOS name.  If the evox.ini file has no matching name for the booting BIOS's MD5 hash the BIOS version will display: Unknown.  However, the kernel version is a number that will be printed.  From it the BIOS version can be narrowed down.  Team Evolution-X did not assign a unique number separate from Microsoft's that their's were based upon. :(

Thanks for the reply:

EvolutionX +3935

Kernel 1.00.5838.01

I was able to straighten the 480i issue by uploading a new XBMC (only 1.0 was installed) and setting the available video modes to 480p and 720p.  It sticks in EvoX as 480p and my emulators can do 720p when launched.

My DVD drive seems to be fine after inspection. This machine just hates UnleashX so much, it fails both running from the drive AND running the Hexen disk. The UnleashX splash comes up, but it just fails to load after that. Weird! MsDash is also buggered...

I'd love to just redo the whole drive and dashboard setup at some point. Is there a softmod disk that doesn't start with UnleashX? Maybe Rocky's?

Thanks