OGXbox.com

XBox Chimp Cannot Allocate Resources! Cannot Clone Hdd!

Hector Hidalgo

For the extended partition size, check the partition settings using NKPatcher Settings app of the Xbox Softmodding Tool. I believe once installed the Xbox Softmodding Tool's default LBA48 configuration is F and G; however, F is limited to ~120GB in size. The space up to the original 137GB max hard drive size before the LBA48 patch came out  and G takes the rest. If you have no G or it's disabled in UnleashX's settings.  You will not see all of the space available on the hard drive.

XBPartitioner v1.3 should show you how the drive was partitioned.  

8 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

For the extended partition size, check the partition settings using NKPatcher Settings app of the Xbox Softmodding Tool. I believe once installed the Xbox Softmodding Tool's default LBA48 configuration is F and G; however, F is limited to ~120GB in size. The space up to the original 137GB max hard drive size before the LBA48 patch came out  and G takes the rest. If you have no G or it's disabled in UnleashX's settings.  You will not see all of the space available on the hard drive.

XBPartitioner v1.3 should show you how the drive was partitioned.  

Kaos, I left 1024MB free and XBPartitioner allowed me to use all my HDD space (except that 1gb of course) on the F partition :)

There must be some kind of explanation, I just know it works!

Thanks Kaos!

12 minutes ago, nikeymikey said:

Glad it all worked out for you 👍🏻

Nikey, do you know if using a 7200rpm Sata HDD makes a difference vs a 5400rpm Sata HDD? I am using a 5400rpm HDD and it is a bit slower to boot compared to my old IDE Maxtor 40gb.

I mean now that I am going to start transfer all these games (which will take days) I rather know right away the truth about this. If it does not make a difference then that's great.

Cheers Nikey and thank you for your feedback, and to all other posters I thank you also, hope my experience also help others!

Edited by Hector Hidalgo

I want to clear things up a bit here.

Where do you see these Cannot allocate resource line(s)?

On my system, there are 5 lines displayed before the i8042 not found line. Three (3) of which state:

PCI: Cannot allocate resource region N blah blah blah

followed by two more lines

PCI: failed to allocate mem blah blah blah

when Linux is booting

or

After the menu system is displayed and you are selecting or have selected the option to clone the Master to Slave hard drive?

1 hour ago, Hector Hidalgo said:

Nikey, do you know if using a 7200rpm Sata HDD makes a difference vs a 5400rpm Sata HDD? I am using a 5400rpm HDD and it is a bit slower to boot compared to my old IDE Maxtor 40gb.

I mean now that I am going to start transfer all these games (which will take days) I rather know right away the truth about this. If it does not make a difference then that's great.

Cheers Nikey and thank you for your feedback, and to all other posters I thank you also, hope my experience also help others!

The boot will be a bit slower in my experience due to the ide2sata adapter and the bigger hard drive. you may find it gets slower once you have added all your games etc to it, but it will be ok :)

1 hour ago, KaosEngineer said:

Found this picture showing those messages on imgur.com.

https://imgur.com/nPF0U9d

Starting Linux continues right past these asking you to press Enter (the controller's A button) which then starts Chimp's menu system.

Yes Kaos that is exactly what I got!

But then I just said, screw this, and pressed A and it was like pressing enter, and entered Chimp. There was no where on the Internet that would tell you about this, I assumed Chimp simply wasn't compatible with my HDD and never thought to just press A, which I did eventually and it worked, not witstanding the errrors.

Thanks Kaos ;)

1 hour ago, nikeymikey said:

The boot will be a bit slower in my experience due to the ide2sata adapter and the bigger hard drive. you may find it gets slower once you have added all your games etc to it, but it will be ok :)

You mean that using a 7200rpm and a 5400rpm is irrelevant due to the adapter making any HDD equally slower?

Just now, nikeymikey said:

you might see minor benefits with a 7200 hd, but I personally don’t think it’s worth it.

Nikeymikey, why you say it may not be worth it, in your country 3.5 7200rpm drives are also more expensive?(they are here for some reason). Because now that I have been searching in my city, is hard to get one in a good price. On the other hand 2.5 5400rpm are everywhere and cheap, I am using a 500gb from a PS4 Slim I "used to" have, HGST brand.

Still, now that I have been using the Xbox for a while, everything seems a bit faster, also, with the Maxtor I would get 6 seconds between the black screen (after microsoft logo) and entering UnleashX, with the adaptor and sata drive it takes 8 seconds. That's about it,  and having 10 big games installed. I think is good ;)

Cheers and man I am so happy, sadly I am starting with a bad flu right now, crap... hahahha uuuhhhh...

I have found that a IDE/PATA (40 way plug) drive thats 7200rpm with 64mb cache is about 2 seconds quicker to boot than a 7200rpm 64meg cache SATA drive. I also have noticed that one of the xbox's that has a 500gig 7200 PATA drive with no cache has a  studdering sound and video on CoinOPS 8 on demo only but the games play fine where the drives with Cache don't suffer the same.

SS Dave

4 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

I have found that a IDE/PATA (40 way plug) drive thats 7200rpm with 64mb cache is about 2 seconds quicker to boot than a 7200rpm 64meg cache SATA drive. I also have noticed that one of the xbox's that has a 500gig 7200 PATA drive with no cache has a  studdering sound and video on CoinOPS 8 on demo only but the games play fine where the drives with Cache don't suffer the same.

SS Dave

Mmm interesting, because my 5400 sata is about exactly 2 seconds slower than my old IDE drive. That woud mean that it doesn't make much of a difference. Maybe using the Startech Sata to IDE adaptor we could gain those 2 or 3 seconds back using the Sata 7200 drive, so it could be just as fast as an IDE 7200 drive.

I only have the chinese sata to IDE adaptor, didn't know about the Startech when I bought mine. Thanks for the input SS Dave, this is all very interesting to me :)

7 hours ago, nikeymikey said:

@Hector Hidalgo Don’t forget that unleash scans all the xbe files on every boot (unless your using the patched version) this will impact your boot times too!! 😃

Thanks for that info Nikey!

By the way, what dashboard do you recommend for using with a CRT (4:3 480i) I have used Xbmc4gamers and even though is nice, it is way too big for my screen, I cannot see what button does what etc.

I am using UnleashX and sure, is good for my 4:3 TV, but Xbmc4gamers seems faster and it also has those nice covers. I wish I could find something like Xbmc4gamers but with bigger fonts! Bigger UI etc! But I cannot seem to find anything like that.

A patched version of Xbmc4gamers with bigger fonts would be ideal for me, and for anyone using a CRT honestly.

If you know any dashboard like this, please let me know! :)

Thank you all again for your time,

Hector.

36 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

For XBMC variants, you need to run through the Video calibration Display Settings to make the video output fit your TV screen. Generally found under:

System -> Settings -> Appearance -> Display -> Video calibration...

Thanks Kaos, I've already done that, because without it, I wouldn't be able to see anything on the sides. But no matter what I do I just cannot make the fonts, letters, etc look bigger, they are too small, because this dashboard is probably meant for HD TV's.

I guess I would have to try to mod XBMC4gamers myself...

Thanks Kaos, for your time and your always nice feedback

Hector.