OGXbox.com

XBox Chimp Cannot Allocate Resources! Cannot Clone Hdd!

Hector Hidalgo

So yeah guys I finally was able to build a composite cable out of another shitty chinese compenent cable. Now I got chimp to show on my screen, and I do everything right but I get this error:

Cannot allocate resources

And also other similar messages, what does this mean? Is my HDD incompatible, or is it something else?

Please guys, I really need some help now, and did I tell you I almost destroy my finger today (it is in bad shape though), the same finger I burned when making the component cable hahahhha, the same hand I also broke some years ago.

But please I need your advice guys!

Edit: Now I read and it says at one point "No controller found", even though I pressed A and it worked. I am using an original Xbox Japanese controller by the way. Mmm, I don't know what it is and I have done SO MUCH, and finally now... it just doesn't work...

Edited by Hector Hidalgo

I am using a Sata to IDE adaptor. Tried 2 HDD none worked, both set to slave. And then I remembered that I had purchased an 80gb IDE HDD. So I checked that HDD and NO! It does not work either!

I uninstalled Chimp and then reinstalled it. What the hell is happening! By the way I have nulled the HDD and my hard drive is a 40gb Maxtor, with many partitions (for cache I guess), I bought it and it came softmodded already, but I upgraded my sofmod using Rocky5 DVD.

Honestly I don't know what else to try, I do everything correctly. Please help me guys, there seems to be no one home today :(

Can I flash mine? I have a 1.6 Xbox. And in my cuntry I guess it would be impossible to find Modchips. Thank you, you are great to have, I have put so much work in this and so much time, and nothing works now that I have all set up :(

I am also using a 80 pin IDE cable... Cheers.

Edited by Hector Hidalgo

Not sure if this will help, but I ran into issues kind of doing two guides and inter-mingling tools that each modder had.  Wondering if you are using Rockys new softmod but the chimp your using was already on the box and is old.  Install Rockys, think it is on his extras disk, unless his softmod is installing chimp, then I'm not sure.  If it isn't use his extras disk to reinstall chimp.  Maybe that would help.

What kind of SATA/IDE adapter?  Maybe that?  You have a screen shot or phone pic of where in Chimp you are getting it?  Not sure I would really be able to help you, but maybe I can tease out an answer for someone who can.

But yeah I agree with SS_Dave.  I've bought a few mod chips even off of Amazon.  Would require you to bust out the soldering iron, that's a big step though.  LPC rebuild boards help.

Edited by LedZeppelinWails

3 minutes ago, LedZeppelinWails said:

Not sure if this will help, but I ran into issues kind of doing two guides and inter-mingling tools that each modder had.  Wondering if you are using Rockys new softmod but the chimp your using was already on the box and is old.  Install Rockys, think it is on his extras disk, unless his softmod is installing chimp, then I'm not sure.  If it isn't use his extras disk to reinstall chimp.  Maybe that would help.

What kind of SATA/IDE adapter?  Maybe that?  You have a screen shot or phone pic of where in Chimp you are getting it?  Not sure I would really be able to help you, but maybe I can tease out an answer for someone who can.

I am using the latest Chimp version from the Softmodding tool DVD. When I start Chimp, it passes the first too checks correctly, only after that it tells me that it could not allocate resources, etc.

I am using the correct Sata to IDE adapter with the 2 capacitors and the Slave/master pin. I also used an IDE 80GB TB and they same thing happens.

I am reading about Xboxhdm23usb now, because Chimp simply will not work for me, all me hardware seems in line, Chimp just doesn't work.

I have tried using Sata to Pata/Ide adaptors and have found that some will work in 1 Xbox and not the next meaning I can put it in a version 1.1 box and it wont work then put the same one in a differant version 1.1 box and it works but all seem to work in a pc. Go figure!

Thats why last time I got some Sata to Ide/Pata adapters I got several even try differant 80 way IDE/PATA cables can make the differance.

While your tring to get the softmod working order 2 couple of Aladdin mod chips they come flashed with a version 1.6 bios then next time you want to upgrade the hard disk it's plug in new drive load SlaYer or Hexen or what ever install disk you like then your off and racing with a nice clean install.

It seem 1/3 or more of the help requests are I can't get the soft mod working.

I got asked years ago to soft mod a Xbox because they did not want the box opened I told them go away do it yourself a month later their back saying please chip it.

Cheers

SS Dave

5 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

I have tried using Sata to Pata/Ide adaptors and have found that some will work in 1 Xbox and not the next meaning I can put it in a version 1.1 box and it wont work then put the same one in a differant version 1.1 box and it works but all seem to work in a pc. Go figure!

Thats why last time I got some Sata to Ide/Pata adapters I got several even try differant 80 way IDE/PATA cables can make the differance.

While your tring to get the softmod working order 2 couple of Aladdin mod chips they come flashed with a version 1.6 bios then next time you want to upgrade the hard disk it's plug in new drive load SlaYer or Hexen or what ever install disk you like then your off and racing with a nice clean install.

It seem 1/3 or more of the help requests are I can't get the soft mod working.

I got asked years ago to soft mod a Xbox because they did not want the box opened I told them go away do it yourself a month later their back saying please chip it.

Cheers

SS Dave

Mmm, so all Aladdin Mod Chips come flashed with a 1.6 Bios then? Because I think there is 1 guy in my country who sell those! Cheer Dave!

2 minutes ago, LedZeppelinWails said:

I've had good luck with the 4-5 xboxes I've been doing with the StarTech Sata/IDE adaptors for what its worth.  Maybe try a different adaptor like SS_Dave was saying.

---Edit---

My Aladdin knock off came with EvoX 1.6 preflashed.

I can enter chimp, but my slave hdd is locked, any way to unlock it within chimp (slave hdd of course). Thanks!

Guys Guys I am almost there! I disregarded the unnallocated bullshit, and then just waited and started chimp. Later I saw that my Slave HDD was locked, maybe I locked it myself about a month ago! When I was working with XboxHDM23!

I went to the Slave HDD options, and I unlocked it using the Motherboard option. It unlocked!

Now I am cloning the Master HDD into my Slave Hdd!! Fingers crossed!

Man, I got nothing.  Not sure which of the three drives you're trying that you are referring to.  Are they fresh drives or ones from other Xboxes?

Another search, not sure if this helps:

https://www.reddit.com/r/originalxbox/comments/cbl1zl/chimp_not_able_to_unlock_my_harddrive/

and

https://www.reddit.com/r/originalxbox/comments/8189wi/cannot_unlock_my_slave_drive_hdd_hotswap/

Seems like Kaos might be your go to if he sees this thread.

Edited by LedZeppelinWails

Just now, LedZeppelinWails said:

Man, I got nothing.  Not sure which of the three drives you're trying that you are referring to.  Are they fresh drives or ones for other Xboxes?

Another search, not sure if this helps:

https://www.reddit.com/r/originalxbox/comments/cbl1zl/chimp_not_able_to_unlock_my_harddrive/

Seems like Kaos might be your go to if he sees this thread.

See my latest post ;) I am crossing my fingers now!

45 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

The last 4 Aladdin chips I got have had version 1.6 M8 BIOS then if you want you can update the BIOS any way.

SS Dave

What happened was that my Slave HDD was locked and chimp was unable to unlock it on startup, but I started chimp anyways and from within Chimp I unlocked the slave HDD and now I am cloning the master to the HDD!

I don't really know how I did that. But I hope it ends up correctly. Cheers and thanks for the advice and the info.

Edited by Hector Hidalgo
  • Like 1

The no controller found line is normal for the Xbox.  It has no i8042 PS/2 keyboard and mouse controller.

You are to make sure the slave hard drive is unlocked before cloning.  A brand new hard drive would not be locked. The software cannot read/write data from/to the hard drive while it is locked.  Thus, the Cannot allocate resources error message.

2 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

The no controller found line is normal for the Xbox.  It has no i8042 keyboard controller.

You are to make sure the slave hard drive is unlocked before cloning.  A brand new hard drive would not be locked. The software cannot read/write data from/to the hard drive while it is locked.  Thus, the Cannot allocate resources error message.

Kaos thank you so much for you input. I did it! :) But now the problem is that I only have 123.408.50 MB free on my F partition! I have a 500gb HDD and I used the second option on Chimp (F occupies all available space).

What could it be...?

Thank you Kaos you are really welcome, and I am so happy to see you in this thread :)

My best regards,

Hector.

7 minutes ago, nikeymikey said:

You should try using XBpartitioner to reformat your F&G partitions to get the correct amount of space.

G partition? I didn't know that existed. Is XBpartitioner an APP you use on the Xbox? or is it a windows program? Thanks

Can you install games on the G partition? I mean I would like to have F for all the games if possible.

Sorry for all the questions! Cheers! And thank you.

Edited by Hector Hidalgo
  • Like 1

Yes it’s an Xbox app! The G partition is for bigger hard drives so depending on how big your drive is you may or may not have one!

Im sure there’s a thread about it right here on this site somewhere, either that or there are plenty of tutorials out there. If I wasn’t on my phone I’d be able to find it for you! 

You will want the 1.3 version, I believe that’s the latest. If you have rocky5s extras disc I think it’s on there 😃

1 minute ago, nikeymikey said:

Yes it’s an Xbox app! The G partition is for bigger hard drives so depending on how big your drive is you may or may not have one!

Im sure there’s a thread about it right here on this site somewhere, either that or there are plenty of tutorials out there. If I wasn’t on my phone I’d be able to find it for you! 

You will want the 1.3 version, I believe that’s the latest. If you have rocky5s extras disc I think it’s on there 😃

Yes, I used it! And I made the F partition to use the MAX 469,249,38 MB but the problem is that at least on UnleashX, it shows only 258.560,56 MB free, a bit more than half.

MMm, I am almost there though! What could it be!

And yes I used the latest version ;)

• Like 1

Yes! I did it! The trick was leaving at least 1024mb free and then created the F partition! And it worked!!  ahahahaha YES I DID IT! :)

FINALLY, you guys have no idea how much I have struggled to get to this point! In my country all of these things are super hard to come by, console included.

Now I have 468gb on F partition ;)

Edited by Hector Hidalgo