OGXbox.com

Ol' Guy From Aus

Danthuyer

Hey everyone

I'm new to the OGXbox scene and i managed to get a free xbox from a mate recently so I am looking to update the softmod (i think there is one on there) however ideally I would love to build a new HDD from scratch and give it the cleanest of starts ... this is my Type A coming out. So is there somewhere I can download images of the default xbox disks and or partitions ?

Ive got a 2.5" SATA Hitachi 7200RPM 500Gb HDD here i'd like to build up as a new disk and then softmod it and get it going

Cheers - Dan

Hi Dan, Welcome to the community!!

First thing you need to do is see if theres a softmod or not, if not you will need an exploitable game and a way of getting the exploitable game save on to your xbox. 

If there is a softmod and it is working fine you have two choices, either leave it as is or use Rocky5's softmod installer to update it. Some people have had issues after updating but if you follow all the instructions properly you should be good to go. You should also make a dump of your eeprom and ftp it to your computer, this will be handy later on if something goes wrong. 

https://github.com/Rocky5/Xbox-Softmodding-Tool

I would take the time to read all the info at the above page as it has a lot of useful info about what the softmod installer does and can do.He also has an Extras disc which has all manner of dashboards etc which can be installed afterwards. 

For you to create a new drive using the sata one you have you will need an ide to sata adapter, along with an 80 wire 40 IDE cable. Once you have those thinigs you can use a program called chimp, this is run on the xbox and will enable you to cone your existing drive to the new larger one.  Links to the file and a tutorial from its creator are below :)

https://github.com/Rocky5/Chimp261812

The tut is slightly out of date now but its basically still the same procedure. 

That should be enough to get you going, if you need any other help then come back and make another post. Me or someone else will come and help you out :)

Dont forget to hit the like/thanks button if ive helped you out :)

• Like 1

Hello Dan

Depending on the version of Xbox I would either fit a mod chip if it's a 1.6 or reflash it TSOP if it's a version 1.0 to 1.5.

Mod chips are cheap on evilBay.

Then fit any drive boot with a install disk and do a fresh install that saves copying crap from the old drive thats taking up space and not needed.

Also with a mod chip you don't have to worry about NULLING the eeprom and haveing to lock the drive for it to work.

I see you say AUS is your loction where abouts ?

If you get stuck just ask.

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1

Thanks @nikeymikey

I've already been compiling the bits and pieces for the softmod and i have :

80 wire cable, splinter cell, 4Gb USB thumb drive & IDE > SATA converter so I am just waiting on the USB > xbox cable and im good to go :) I just need to go get a couple of DVD media to burn some images too.

I will use this chimp method if i have too and mirror the original disk however like above mentioned I'm a stickler for a fresh un tainted install, and last night i mucked around with xbox hard drive maker (various versions) but for some reason my Hitachi drive is not being recognised (using a caddy) however my 4Gb USB thumb drive is (and yes ive even used Rocky's updated USB version of the tool) so maybe its a chipset issue with the caddy ??

Hey @SS_Dave (nice commodore btw)

im not really inclined to go down the phyiscal mod chip path ... unless i come up stumps on all the other methods ... I assume all the mod chips require soldering ? (damn i suck at that)

2 minutes ago, Danthuyer said:

Thanks @nikeymikey

I've already been compiling the bits and pieces for the softmod and i have :

80 wire cable, splinter cell, 4Gb USB thumb drive & IDE > SATA converter so I am just waiting on the USB > xbox cable and im good to go :) I just need to go get a couple of DVD media to burn some images too.

I will use this chimp method if i have too and mirror the original disk however like above mentioned I'm a stickler for a fresh un tainted install, and last night i mucked around with xbox hard drive maker (various versions) but for some reason my Hitachi drive is not being recognised (using a caddy) however my 4Gb USB thumb drive is (and yes ive even used Rocky's updated USB version of the tool) so maybe its a chipset issue with the caddy ??

Hey @SS_Dave (nice commodore btw)

im not really inclined to go down the phyiscal mod chip path ... unless i come up stumps on all the other methods ... I assume all the mod chips require soldering ? (damn i suck at that)

If you have a version 1  to 1.5 you can reflash the bios you need to put 2 links on the main board and if need be you can use conductive paint from Jaycar.

Thats my old car I have had a V2 Monaro since new but the SS Dave name has stuck.

If your close to ACT I can help with soldering.

Cheers

okay first hurdle - ive loaded up the save games to the USB drive (after making sure the Xbox could see it okay first and yes it did) when i plug the usb into the xbox it doesnt see any of the save files ? however the folder structure is there in xplorer 360 ??

update - i have tried on a second xbox i have here now and the same thing happens - even after building the file structure manually and inserting the files (windows 10) in xplorer360 the second machine also shows no save files on the USB drive 

Edited by Danthuyer

I wasn’t able to narrow it down to either xplorer360 or the usb drives themselves, I eventually gave up and went and dug our my old Xbox action replay setup. That still took some doing as it will only run properly on XP 😂 but after a couple of hours I had it up and running and got the saves on to the Xbox 😃

• 2 weeks later...

so i got an 8MB usb drive delivered in the mail this week and i went and tried it and was having a lot of issues with it complaining about being unable to write to certain clusters.......till i worked it all out

#1 I had to use a different version of usb xfat formatter (see pic) the one on the left DID NOT WORK - the one on the right did it correctly

#2 I had to make sure that the xfat app was running in compatibility mode (windows XP SP3) 

#3 I had to copy each softmod file to the USB individually and then copy to xbox one at a time

needless to say i am a little happier as I TSOP one of the second boxes i got only to find out that the DVD drive doesnt like reading Verbatim DVD-R drives from office works so now I will have to try some DVD+R or another brand.

and then comes the fun part of doing the HDD upgrades ..... hahaha

Capture.PNG

Hi Danthuyer

You have got the hard bit done adding a new bigger drive is the easy bit.

With the DVD problems burn the disk as slow as the burning software will go. If you have a DVD drive that works from a differant xbox do a swap even if it's a temperary thing.

I reckon the best thing I did was get a copy of 007 Agent Under Fire game and a memory card. Copy the game save from the memory card with the new bios and the rest of the files needed then load 007AUF load saved game then hay presto the BIOS is reflashed.

Beats mucking around with soft mods.

Cheers

SS dave

• 2 weeks later...

@SS_Dave I might look at that 007 option later 

Today ill be doing HDD upgrades and mucking around with HDD etc and learning XB HDM and other tools to work out which I like best 

and yes the DVD was burnt at a slow as possible speed for my Pc which was 4x - im thinking about getting a external burner for my laptop and trying to get it to go 1x or as mentioned above use a different media type for the TSOP machine

I have a Verbatim external dvd burner that is 3X.

You need to try differant brand blank dvd disks as well there was reports that some DVD-R rewritable disk worked well but have never tried them also diferant xbox drives react to some DVD's better that others.

Maybe give the DVD laser pickup a clean as well and not one of the cd type cleaners all they do is push the dirt to the side if that.

hi all, i have just done a 1.1 after years without one, and a few things i discovered that might help others,

some xboxes dont like the usb stick formatted with the fatx tool, while i tried that till i was blue in the face but everytime the xbox said the saves were corrupted.

so i wiped the usb stick on the xbox and formatted it there, then put the usb stick in the computer and used ex360 to load the saves, ejected the stick.

now i watched a video from rocky5, and he said some usb sticks need to be connected to the xbox before you boot it up, so i put the loaded stick in the usb and then booted the xbox, once it started i went to memory and the stick showed up and the saves were not corrupted this time, so i loaded the saves to the harddisk and shutdown the xbox.

i rebooted and loaded 007AUF then i i softmodded the xbox.

all went well, next thing is tsop flash, i looked in my PC stash and all the drives i have are sata, except for one which was a 10gig seagate from an xbox years ago i used chimp to clone the drive, granted its only 10 gig but i did this for two reasons one to see how chimp worked, and two because the seagate drive that was on the xbox was making some strange noises and clicks, i knew from experience that drive is going to die.

all i need now is a decent size ide drive, and the tsop, actually i was wondering has the ind cromwell type bios been improved?, i will probably go with an x2 bios but ive seen posts from users here saying they have ind bios but back in the day when i messed with xboxes before i'm sure the independent bios could not read games.

if it does read games now what are the benefits over an x2 bios?.

thanks

Edited by sinclairuser

1 minute ago, Danthuyer said:

worked out the Chimp Issue and have done the upgrade to a spare 320G sata laptop drive I had lying around - the funny thing is that the G partition is not showing only the F so im missing a bit of space ... no biggy im sure I will work it out later 

you proberly need to partition G drive

@SS_Dave have you mucked around much with the tsop bios and what it can and cannot do ? Im thinking about going all out and doing a slimline xbox so i need to remove the DVD drive  - I tested with removing the DVD drive and just leaving the PCB connected to the data cable however it still didnt work LOL

Edited by Danthuyer