OGXbox.com

Error 05 On Boot, Need Help To Format Hdd

johnyept

I have 2 XBOXes v1.2 and v1.6 with Rocky5 softmod v1.1.6. I was messing around with the NKPatcher and nulled the HDD drive key on one of them before backing up the EEPROM and now it boots up to error 05. It seems I need to format it using the hotswap method, xboxhdm v1.9 and a backup of the Dashboard from the C partition, which I don't have. Can I use the files from the other XBOX?

EDIT: I'm probably looking at it fro the wrong angle... when using the hotswap, won't I get access to the backed up EEPROM in the E partition? Can it be used to restore the HDD?Or is it better to just format it and start from scratch? This subject is still pretty new to me.

Edited by johnyept

NKPatcher should lock the hard drive when you NULL the key.  I don't see why you'd get error 05 (HDD unlocked) if in fact you only used NKPatcher to NULL the HDDKey.

Somehow you unlocked the hard drive.

From afterdawn.com's XBOX Error Codes Explained - Go Here First! web page:

5 - kernel - HDD not locked (The retail xbox bioses require the hd to be locked)

When you upgrade your hard disk drive for one that is larger, you most of the times use a new hard drive that you bought in the shop. Now, when you put this hdd in your xbox and you try to boot up with your chip off. It gives you error 5. Why you ask? Well i will try to explain it simple.

The original (also called "Retail") hard drive is locked by MS. Why did they lock the harddrive?

Well if it wasn't it wouldve been more than easy (in the start of xbox hacking)
for hackers to change content on it. Thats why MS locks it. It is just a security measure.

This locking proces uses information thats on the motherboard. The "Lock" on a xbox hard drive contains information that is based on the harddrive itself and the motherboard it came with.

One thing that makes this clear: You can not change a retail harddrive with another one from an other not modded xbox. With every xbox there is only ONE i repeat ONE compatible harddisk drive. That is, if they are locked.

If you don't mod your xbox (tsop or modchips) you can not change harddrives. Not even from another xbox. However when your xbox IS modified you can change your harddisk for almost every other harddisk (thats UNLOCKED). This means that even when your xbox is modified, you can not just put another (retail) XBOX harddisk in your xbox. However some smart people made programs that can lock or unlock your xbox harddisk on the fly.

So when does the error occur? The only time this error should occur is when you boot up your xbox in original mode AND you have a harddisk in your xbox that is not yet locked. So now you ask what do i have to do to make your xbox work again?

Well the answer is pretty easy. Boot up your xbox with the chip on. Preferably with a slayer evo-x cd. Now you choose "Eeprom management." Than you choose: "Lock hdd." It takes one second. After its ready it should say something like "Done"
When it is "Done" just turn off your xbox. Disable your chip and try to boot in original mode. Now there should be no more error 5.

Update: Fixed the black on white background font it was a bit too bright. :)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nikeymikey said:

Error 05 is a hard drive lock error, If you have a dump of your eeprom you can us xboxhdm23 and a sata/ide to usb adapter and create a new xbox hard drive from scratch.

The hard drive only needs to be locked again.  Not sure why it's not locked with the new NULL'd HDDKey password.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nikeymikey said:

Thats what is was thinking, there is obviously something wrong somewhere. That why i suggested rebuilding from scratch with an eeprom backup :)

No need to rebuild. The HDD needs to be locked.  Not sure which HDDKey it will need.  The original or the new NULL'd key. 

NKPatcher should have performed several steps when it NULLs the HDDKey:  

1. Unlocked the hard drive
  2. Backup the old eeprom data
  3. NULL(zero) the HDDKey value stored in the configuration EEPROM
  4. Backup the new eeprom data
  5. Lock the hard drive with the new password generated with the NULL'd key.
  • Like 1

The drive is already unlocked so you can connect it to a PC and use Xplorer360 or XboxHDM's xbrowser option to copy it to your PC's hard drive.

On the PC, move the file to the folder where XboxHDM23USB Beta 2 is extracted and lock it using the lock hard drive option in the main menu.  As delivered using XboxHDM23USB does require running a Windows 64-bit OS and connecting the Xbox HDD to the PC with a USB-to-HDD interface adapter.

A short incomplete usage XboxHDM23USB Beta 3 pictorial. (Beta 2 and 3 are slightly different.  B2 is not preconfigured to install anything the user has to add files to the C and E drive they want to be copied during the Xbox drive build process while Beta 3 is pre-configured to install a bootable (no-original-game-disc-required) Xbox Softmodding Tool installer.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

The drive is already unlocked so you can connect it to a PC and use Xplorer360 or XboxHDM's xbrowser option to copy it to your PC's hard drive.

On the PC, move the file to the folder where XboxHDM23USB Beta 2 is extracted and lock it using the lock hard drive option in the main menu.  As delivered using XboxHDM23USB does require running a Windows 64-bit OS and connecting the Xbox HDD to the PC with a USB-to-HDD interface adapter.

A short incomplete usage XboxHDM23USB Beta 3 pictorial. (Beta 2 and 3 are slightly different.  B2 is not preconfigured to install anything the user has to add files to the C and E drive they want to be copied during the Xbox drive build process while Beta 3 is pre-configured to install a bootable (no-original-game-disc-required) Xbox Softmodding Tool installer.

Many thanks! All is working again!

Here's what I did: I connected the HDD to an old Compaq EVO running XP, the HDD was in fact unlocked and partitions accessible with Xplorer360 beta6, so I extracted the E/Backups/EEPROM folder. Then I connected the HDD to a Win10 x64 laptop with a Conceptronic IDE/sATA to USB 2.0 adapter, copied eeprom.bin to the xboxhdm23usb folder, ran xboxhd.bat and chose "3. Lock hard drive". Done!

I think I might have a clue or two to what caused this situation:

1. The XBOX v1.2 has the power/eject button malfunction due to corrosion in the board traces, which I'll fix eventually. This might have triggered a power off during reboot because the XBOX powered itself down during the null key process. It seemed to continue the process when I powered it on but eventually got the ERROR 05.

2. I have Acronis Drive Monitor installed in the Win10 laptop and it reported the HDD health state at 50%. It has already many bad sectors and that might have contributed to the problem. I'll replace it with a bigger/healthier HDD when I get the XBOX modchipped.

Edited by johnyept
Grammar correction