OGXbox.com

My First 2 XBoXEs!

johnyept

Hello!

I never had a XBOX before because I already had a PS2 and couldn't afford another console. Now that I'm in my forties I decided to start a console collection (just the main Atari, Nintendo, Sega and Sony consoles) to find out what I missed in my youth.

I bought 2 XBOXes from the same guy: a v1.2 with power/eject issues, and a v1.6 with a stuck DVD drive. I cleaned the first one and removed the clock capacitor, but it needs some rewiring because of trace damage, but it's kinda working for now. The v1.6 was just a stuck Samsung drive easily fixed by cleaning the eject rubber belt. Both are now softmodded (used a PSP as memory card :) ) and running Hypervision 5 Gems, and will soon receive modchips so I can upgrade their drives to SSD or IDE->SD adapter, whatever comes first! All I need now is more than 1 controller!

• 3 weeks later...

You won't regret it! I had the luck of finding 2 XBOXes for the price of 1!

Here's what I used to help identifying mine, plus Rocky5 softmod will also tell you which version you have after installed: https://xboxdevwiki.net/Hardware_Revisions, http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=367210&seqNum=2

- Did a softmod on v1.6 and replaced the original 10GB HDD for a 80GB HDD, this one will be used to run emulation with XBMC EmuStation + no-intro ROMs, for artwork I used SkraperUI and this tutorial on reddit. This way I'll be able to play every console I don't have, and I'll use it for 4 player games instead of buying multitap adapters and extra controllers for those older consoles.

- v1.2 is also softmodded and it requires rewiring 3 or 4 corroded traces due to reboot/power issues, when repaired it will be used for XBOX games.

I will eventually hardmod both to be able to use unlocked HDDs, I'm planning to use (if tested successfully) SD to IDE adapters with 128gb or bigger kingston cards: no mechanical parts, less noise, less heat, less power drain. I'll probably add an SD extension and an SD card slot so I can replace SD cards without opening the console! The same 128gb card also works with PS2, PSP, PSVita, and I'm still waiting for a USB3 adapter to test it on the Wii USB port too!

And I bought a Duke! IT. IS. AWESOME!