Soft Flash

Onknight

2 hours ago, Onknight said:

Most of drives do nothing when I plug it in  

But cheep ones give me a error .

Memory Unit 2A

The memory unit you inserted isn't functioning it may be damaged

Explorer 360 see all the drives   fine

The Xbox is very finicky about which USB thumb drives it works with.  Not exactly what it doesn't like.   I have no problems using old generic 64MB keys but even some older 1GB keys don't work.

I've heard that using an SD-to-USB adapter with a <=4GB SD card works well.

(I have not tried it as my old 64MB USB Key works well 4 me.)

There are specific settings you have to use with drivedroid to get it to work.

Read the tutorial at https://www.reddit.com/r/originalXbox/wiki/drivedroid

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

The Xbox is very finicky about which USB thumb drives it works with.  Not exactly what it doesn't like.   I have no problems using old generic 64MB keys but even some older 1GB keys don't work.

I've heard that using an SD-to-USB adapter with a <=4GB SD card works well.

(I have not tried it as my old 64MB USB Key works well 4 me.)

There are specific settings you have to use with drivedroid to get it to work.

Read the tutorial at https://www.reddit.com/r/originalXbox/wiki/drivedroid

Yeah I followed those instructions 

The PC saw it's fine but the Xbox no

I really do think the cable is bad

Usb drives are used because, if it is formatted correctly the xbox sees it as an external memory card, like the one you connect to your controller. The drive is used to store the mod files and the custom save file of splinter cell so you can install your soft mod to your xbox. If you dont already have one you will need 1 of the 3 launch title games to install your soft mod, (tom Clancy splintercell, mech assault, and 007 agent under fire). Which ever game you have you will need the custom save file for that game and the game has to be a base version and not a platinum hits copy.

34 minutes ago, slycooper124 said:

Usb drives are used because, if it is formatted correctly the xbox sees it as an external memory card, like the one you connect to your controller. The drive is used to store the mod files and the custom save file of splinter cell so you can install your soft mod to your xbox. If you dont already have one you will need 1 of the 3 launch title games to install your soft mod, (tom Clancy splintercell, mech assault, and 007 agent under fire). Which ever game you have you will need the custom save file for that game and the game has to be a base version and not a platinum hits copy.

I know all that, thanks. I was just asking because there is probably another way to do whatever he is trying to do without a usb 😃

For instance I have an Xbox memory card and an adapter that lets me connect it to my pc, much easier to get the game saves transferred across that way 😉

You can also use a Tony Hawk game to softmod now as well I believe...... 😃

Edited by nikeymikey

That may be true with the Tony hawk game, I just listed games that I have custom save files for. The list of games able to soft mod an xbox is what ever the xbox was launched with, so I may have missed a few. As for the memory card, if you have an adaptor that allows you to connect your xbox memory card directly to a pc, you dont need a flash drive but you will need the xplorer360 to read the card since the card has a custo sound fatx file system that is not a native file system that windows, linux, or Macintosh can read. I have never seen an adaptor to connect an xbox memory card to a pc, I have only seen the adaptor that is usb to controller port. So I dont know how easy it would he to get the adaptor you have vs. The usb adaptor which is easily available on ebay.

I Should also mention that I know modding the xbox is easy but upgrading the hard drive can be a real headache. I do have a custom version of chimp hdd cloner that someone has modified the length of time from 5 seconds to 14 seconds. This is extreamly helpful since it is very easy to bend a scrunch ide ribbon cable pins when your under a quick time limit.

Ok, you may have to go to Ebay for that flash drive because 1. Its usb 2.0 and 2. I got that in 6th grade back in 2010 ,and I know staples doesn't still sell it because I use to work there but I am sure Ebay has them all over. If you need the tools and the instructions on how soft mod your xbox. I have about 2 years of knowledge and all the tools to do it plus a modified version of that hard drive cloner to allow you more time to swap the ribbon cables since 5 second is not enough for ribbon cables. Do you have all the software and an idea on what size hard drive you want to use?

The adapter is an action replay adapter and that works with either the AR software or explorer 360. I have seen them go on eBay for around £20 in the past.  

I know all about upgrading hdd’s, I have 6 here ready to go into various Xbox’s I have sitting waiting to be modded. I have used chimp in the past but tbh I prefer having a fresh start and using xboxhdm23usb to prepare the hard drives loaded up with Rocky5s installer so as soon as I install the drive and power up, the softmod is installed 😃

Are you still using ide hard drives? Sata is more reliable with an 80 wire ribbon cable in the system vs the stock 40 wire. I had to get out of the xbox scene on Ebay because every time I listed a system, a competitor would report my listing to Ebay and Ebay would pull it due to copyright infringement on 40 year old Nintendo games.

2 minutes ago, slycooper124 said:

Are you still using ide hard drives? Sata is more reliable with an 80 wire ribbon cable in the system vs the stock 40 wire. I had to get out of the xbox scene on Ebay because every time I listed a system, a competitor would report my listing to Ebay and Ebay would pull it due to copyright infringement on 40 year old Nintendo games.

I will use whatever hdds i can get my hands on, right now i have 5 sata and 1 ide ready to go into xbox's :)

Im in the UK so i find a good source of 500GB/1TB  drives are old Sky+HD TV boxs and they are all sata :)