OGXbox.com

Duo X2 Gs Modchip Stuffed Up

vacatedboat

This is my xbox 1.4v. I have 3 other boxes. I got very cavalier and loaded up truhexen 2019 disc to update the modchip bios. Of course I flashed the wrong bios. What i think may of been m8 for v1.6 boxes. It now turns on to ms dashboard but wont recognise the hexen disc anymore. As the chip is soldered to modchip guessing the hotswap or external re programming are out of the question. Is there any way to salvage this modchip? Is my only option is too remove modchip and softmod/tsop flash the xbox?

Also to remove the modchip is it just the bt and do wires that need to be desoldered. Thanks for all help

20190820_194341.jpg

Flip the switch on the DuoX2 and boot the other bank.  Not exactly sure which BIOS it may have on it.

Generally, I always thought a v1.6 Xbox BIOS would boot on a 1.0-1.5 version, not recommended to leave it this way but reflash with a 1.0-1.5 BIOS. Booting to the MS dashboard indicates that your replacement dashboard is stored in a different location than the BIOS is attempting to load.  The MS dashboard is the final dashboard attempted if all others in the boot order list fail

Thanks. I think i was using the eject button to turn on console sometimes not realising this disables the x2 modchip. Im worried flipping to the other bank may not have anything there. Like a black screen. I also found a dirt cheap aladdin xt plus. I could just put the wires onto it as the header pins are in place already. Will test tonight thanks. This is mostly for hobby fun. Learning alot

Bit odd to have both banks to stop I used to use a DUO X2 when playing with differant BIOS and if I flashed a dud BIOS I would flick the switch reboot and flip it back and try a differant BIOS. I always had a fallback bios that way. 

I also don't wire it to the power/eject button I link the BT point to the 3.3 volt pin that way it's allways enabled the only reason for wiring  to one of the button's was to allow for XBOX LIVE.

SS Dave

Looking at down on the chip as it sits now.

o  D0 point

o       o

m                         o        o   3.3 Volt

o                           o        o

d                          o         -

c                          o         -

h                          o         o

i 

p                                   o  BT

Remove the wire from BT and add a link from BT to 3.3 volt  

If the Bt is low when powering up the xbox it disables the mod chip  

Are you sure it's not on a sccket as from new I sure they came with a pin header and socket.

If that fails fit the new chip and start again.

Green logo with the sheild is a 1.6 bios but boot your flash disk on that one.

Then load up the 512kb bios you want to flash to the other bank and when your just about to commit to the flash flick the switch  the other bank  then commit to the flashing the new BIOS.

Cheers

SS Dave

Which BIOS to use depends on your Xbox version more so than the modchip being used.

Most BIOSes are 256KB in size.  If the modchip has a 512KB bank size, the BIOS's dot bin file is written two (2) times consecutively to fill the bank size of the modchip.

There are only a couple of BIOSes compatible with a 1.6 so you have a very short list to pick from.  Older revisions have a much larger selection to use.

V1.6 BIOSes

1. M8plus_16.bin (Size: 256KB)
  2. x2_5035_v16plus_512k.bin (Size: 512KB)

V1.0-1.4 BIOSes

Size: 512KB

1. x2_5035_vOld_512k.bin

Size: 256KB

1. M8plus.bin 
  2. x2_4983.06_256k.bin
  3. x2_4983.67_256k.bin
  4. 4981.06_256k.bin
  5. 4891.67_256k.bin
  6. iND-BiOS.5003.06.bin
  7. iND-BiOS.5003.67.bin
  8. iND-BiOS.Beta.Feb-11-05.06.bin
  9. iND-BiOS.Beta.Feb-11-05.67.bin

Looks like I jumped the gun. The modchip is a bit flaky. Its a clone modchip i guess not being AMd. It just boots to stock ms dash again. I took out the motherboard and checked the d0 (bottom of board) i also with xbox on carefully measured voltage at do and the bt. The d0 was 0V but bt was 3.7V. You can check the picture for any visable dry joints. My aladin xt plus turned up so might just pop that in instead. I can use the pin header and d0 wire already there. The bt wire needs to be connected to a ground pad according to a diagram i have. See how I go.

20190831_101645.jpg

D0 is ment to read 0 volt with the chip enabled

BT is now reading correct.

duox2.jpg.594bcda6889e298055efa026d43ec7e9.jpg

Resolder all the pins on the conector and the main board

Then clean the whole chip with isoproyl or metho and a tooth brush  dry with a heat gun on llow temp or a hair drier.

is the red light on or flashing?

SS Dave

The light hasn't been on very quite a few power ups. I may try cleaning it. I did switch to the aladin xt plus2. I cant get this to work either. The led lights red but on power up it whirrs a few times then powers up to frag. I think it might be the boards D0 solder point is bad. Its so small. 

While I had the board out I did the solder bridge for a future tsop if this drives me crazy. I have done 2 previous tsops on machines no problem but these modchips are a pain in the bottom.

Will try to add some pictures later.

That looks ok

If you test the D0 wire on the mod chip while it's not pluged on the board so the blue wire on the D0 point on the mod chip you should get a 1.8 volt spike on power up well I do with my fluke 87V in Hires mode..

Also with the chip is not pluged in do you get the Flubber boot screen?

After looking at the 1st pic I would clean around where the clock was and look for damage there.

SS Dave