OGXbox.com

Bugs

Rocky5

• 1 year later...

Tried creating the v1.1.6 Extras Disc from the Prebuilt Version iso, on different machines, using different media (including media that has worked for me in the past), and none of them boot on my xbox. I get a black screen and a flashing green LED.

On 3/28/2019 at 5:37 AM, hoop said:

Tried creating the v1.1.6 Extras Disc from the Prebuilt Version iso, on different machines, using different media (including media that has worked for me in the past), and none of them boot on my xbox. I get a black screen and a flashing green LED.

It should be loading D:\OtherSM\default.xbe

It’s working as it should but for some reason it’s not loading the xbe file or it’s hanging. 

Edited by Rocky5

HI Rocky5

i have xbmc-emustation installed Tsop Xbox, might be a stupid question from a noob but where do the Xbox og games go in roms file, or do i need to make new one.

Do i need an emulator for them every time i scan i find the 2 im using to try work i out but after a restart there gone and keep getting no default.xbe found in directory added pic so you can see if my explanation is bad.

any help much appreciated.

i have your emustation on 4 xboxs 1 is my own others are gifts for family.

thanks in advance

DSC_0034.JPG

On 3/29/2019 at 11:08 PM, kopj96 said:

HI Rocky5

i have xbmc-emustation installed Tsop Xbox, might be a stupid question from a noob but where do the Xbox og games go in roms file, or do i need to make new one.

Do i need an emulator for them every time i scan i find the 2 im using to try work i out but after a restart there gone and keep getting no default.xbe found in directory added pic so you can see if my explanation is bad.

any help much appreciated.

i have your emustation on 4 xboxs 1 is my own others are gifts for family.

thanks in advance

DSC_0034.JPG

Not entirely sure what you’re meaning. 

Xbox games go in E,F or G:\Games\ just like every other dashboard. 

Roms require a corresponding emulator or you will get the above error. There is no point in scanning in roms if there is no emulator to play them.   

• 4 months later...

Hi Rocky. I have installed the Xbox Softmoding Tool for the first time in a stock Xbox. This Xbox has never been opened. I've downloaded the source code from GitHub and softmoded the console, no problems, nice and easy.

I have a PAL console, and I noticed that after the softmod the Video Region was set to NTSC M. I have this Xbox connected to a TV that doesn't support component cables. I find that the PAL colours are more vivid than the NTSC colours and I prefer 576i 50hz over 480i 60hz when I'm using composite cables.

For all these reasons, I went to NKPatcher Settings, EEPROM, and clicked on PAL Video Region. NKPatcher Settings done some stuff and the console rebooted. I went to check the Video Region, and it was still in NTSC M mode.

I went again to NKPatcher Settings, EEPROM, and I noticed that neither the PAL option nor the NTSC option had the Yellow Check Icon.

Then I decided to Enable Virtual EEPROM, and after the console rebooted the Video Region was PAL.

I then Disabled Virtual EEPROM, and the Video Region was once again NTSC M.

If I then go to NKPatcher Settings, EEPROM, and choose NTSC Video Region, and if after that I Enable Virtual EEPROM, the Xbox will stay on NTSC M Video Region. Then if I go to NKPatcher Settings, EEPROM, Disable Virtual EEPROM, then choose PAL Video Region, and then Enable Virtual EEPROM, the Xbox will be in PAL Video Region.

My question: wasn't the NKPatcher Settings EEPROM options supposed to be able to change between PAL and NTSC Video Regions without Enabling Virtual EEPROM?

Thank you.

EDIT: Your softmod reports that my Xbox is a version 1.1 and that the BIOS is 4817. I have also tested with the 4817 Font Installed and with the Generic Font Installed, there was no difference in the Video Region outcome. I have also tried Permanent Softmod Enabled and Permanent Softmod Disabled, was again the Video Region was not affected. I still haven't removed the clock capacitor (I'm going to do it in the following weeks) and I'm using the stock HDD (like I said, this Xbox was never opened). I haven't installed any other software besides your softmod.

Edited by peido
adding more information

I have noticed another thing, but don't know if it is bug or not.

In the Extras Disc, the option "Stock MS Dash 5960" installs the "modded\5960.zip" instead of the "retail\5960.zip". If it's not a bug, why is it like this? Why isn't there an option "Stock MS Dash 5960" to instal "retail\5960.zip" and an option "Modded MS Dash 5960" to instal "modded\5960.zip"?

I have also seen that the "retail\5960.zip" is used when restoring the Xbox to Default Factory State. So is "retail\5960.zip" only to be installed in an "un-modded" Xbox and "modded\5960.zip" only to be installed in a modded Xbox? If that is so, I suggest changing the "Stock MS Dash 5960" to "Modded MS Dash 5960".

Edited by peido
+info

Hi.

I have installed the Modded MS Dash 5960, and I have the "Portuguese" language selected in the NKPatcher Settings.

If I go to the MS Dash, the MS Dash is in English and not in Portuguese.

Another thing, I can't find any option in the Modded MS Dash 5960 to change the language. Before installing the softmod, the MS Dash had an option to change the language.

Does anyone know the difference between the Modded MS Dash 5960, the Retail 5960 and the Modded 4920?

4 hours ago, peido said:

Hi.

I have installed the Modded MS Dash 5960, and I have the "Portuguese" language selected in the NKPatcher Settings.

If I go to the MS Dash, the MS Dash is in English and not in Portuguese.

Another thing, I can't find any option in the Modded MS Dash 5960 to change the language. Before installing the softmod, the MS Dash had an option to change the language.

Does anyone know the difference between the Modded MS Dash 5960, the Retail 5960 and the Modded 4920?

That’s not a bug, the modded MSDash 5960 checks if the persistent softmod is enabled and disables the language menu. (Persistent softmod invalidates the language value in the eeprom and the result is a controlled error16 state, this will make the system default to English)

4920 defaults to the saves manager on entry and has XBL disabled. 

Retail is retail, original MS signed. 

I wont be doing Xbox stuff for a while, as my twins were born recently and they are taking up all my spare time 😭

but everything you stated in this thread and other thread can be fixed with the MSDash being installed or editing the skin files of UnleashX. 

At at the top of NKPatcher Settings menus is info on what each option does, same goes for the extras disc. It explains what you want to know. 

• Thanks 1

Family comes first, I totally understand that. Congrats on the twins :) Hope they like the original Xbox when they get older.

Thanks for explaining to me the differences between Modded 5960, Retail 5960 and Modded 4920.

On 8/28/2019 at 4:23 PM, Rocky5 said:

That’s not a bug, the modded MSDash 5960 checks if the persistent softmod is enabled and disables the language menu. (Persistent softmod invalidates the language value in the eeprom and the result is a controlled error16 state, this will make the system default to English)

So that was why the languages option wasn't showing in MS Dash, I had Persistent Softmod Enabled. Thanks. I've got to try to change the language in NKPatcher Settings (with the Persistent Softmod Disabled) and see if that changes the language in MS Dash.

That means that if I had installed the Retail MS Dash 5960 instead of the Modded one, and if I had Enabled the Persistent Softmod in the NKPatcher Settings, and if I went to the MS Dash, I could go to the languages options and Disabled the Persistent Softmod by changing to any language?

• 4 months later...
21 hours ago, TanMetal said:

my softmodding tool says retail bios 4817 detected- swiching to other softmodding menu, and then it just goes to a black screen and the led flashes green. 

I'm sorry, it actually says "loading other softmod menu", and then it just goes blank, any help/suggestions?

IMG_7863.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi!

I'm using the latest version of the Xbox-Softmodding-Tool (v1.1.7) and I'm stuck at the black screen and blinking green led. I have tried the ISO burned on a DVD and also copying the files into the Application folder by FTP. It shows a "Retail 5838 BIOS DETECTED" window and then nothing. 
I softmodded my v1.6 XBOX by "hot-swap" and using the ZBX installer tools. Dash Version: 0.39.0528A Build 584. 
I hope you can help me since I'm trying to upgrade my console.

Thanks in advance!

If you have an older *non-Xbox Softmodding Tool* softmod installed, use the contents of the Quick Upgrade.zip archive to upgrade it.  It's much smaller than the Extras Disc and only needs to be uploaded to the console using FTP to the E drive as instructed in the archive's *Read Me.txt* file.

You'll find in in the Xbox Softmodding Tool repository under the Build v1.1.7 / Installer Variants folder - Quick Upgrade.zip.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot, Kaos!  I have downloaded and checked the "Quick Upgrade" files, I think it would have worked. However, I found another solution:

I "resoftmodded" the XBOX, since I don't have the pendrive cable, nor any original game which can perform the softmod, I copied the saved game files to the E:/UDATA and the "ROM" files of the game at E:/GAMES. Then I only ran the game and follow the instruction to softmod an original XBOX. 

Everything seems to be updated and is working fine.

• 3 months later...

@Rocky5 not sure if it's of any importance, but I do like your XISO splitter tool. It's very convenient because you don't have to remember the proper filesizes for splitting the files.

I have noticed that the tool will fail to split XISO files of games that contain special characters (like "Conker: Live and Reloaded") - because if limitations of the Windows OS (":" is an invalid file character).

As I said, not a huge issue - I just split the file manually using a hex editor, but maybe you're interested in fixing that at some point.

Other than that, I'd like to say: top job on the Softmodding tool.

• 2 years later...
On 4/16/2020 at 6:30 PM, KaosEngineer said:

If you have an older *non-Xbox Softmodding Tool* softmod installed, use the contents of the Quick Upgrade.zip archive to upgrade it.  It's much smaller than the Extras Disc and only needs to be uploaded to the console using FTP to the E drive as instructed in the archive's *Read Me.txt* file.

You'll find in in the Xbox Softmodding Tool repository under the Build v1.1.7 / Installer Variants folder - Quick Upgrade.zip.

Hey Kaos, I dowloaded the Quick Upgrade and the extracted the folder and ftped it over to my xbox but there is no default.xbe file in it... Can you help me?

5 hours ago, Zion Da Wolfo said:

Hey Kaos, I dowloaded the Quick Upgrade and the extracted the folder and ftped it over to my xbox but there is no default.xbe file in it... Can you help me?

There should be an default.xbe file in the extracted content.  

The latest version as of today is Build v1.1.9.  Find Quick Upgrade.zip in the Installer Variants subfolder.

Inside the ZIP archive's top level directory you will find a folder named Quick Upgrade and a Read Me.txt file.  The default.xbe file along with all the other files that are part of the Quick Upgrade app are inside of the Quick Upgrade folder.  Upload this folder to the root/top-level directory of the E drive.  Next, with the replacement dashboard's File Manager/Explorer, browse to the file named default.xbe so it is highlighted. Finally, press (A) on the controller to run the Quick Upgrade application.

692482822_QuickUpgrade.zipsQuickUpgradefolderContents.PNG.82185948c4304b6982614a4106280ff6.PNG

3 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

There should be an default.xbe file in the extracted content.  

The latest version as of today is Build v1.1.9.  Find Quick Upgrade.zip in the Installer Variants subfolder.

Inside the ZIP archive's top level directory you will find a folder named Quick Upgrade and a Read Me.txt file.  The default.xbe file along with all the other files that are part of the Quick Upgrade app are inside of the Quick Upgrade folder.  Upload this folder to the root/top-level directory of the E drive.  Next, with the replacement dashboard's File Manager/Explorer, browse to the file named default.xbe so it is highlighted. Finally, press (A) on the controller to run the Quick Upgrade application.

692482822_QuickUpgrade.zipsQuickUpgradefolderContents.PNG.82185948c4304b6982614a4106280ff6.PNG

i re did it and the default.xbe file is in. but when i run it i get a black screen and a red ring... is this normal?

20 hours ago, Zion Da Wolfo said:

i re did it and the default.xbe file is in. but when i run it i get a black screen and a red ring... is this normal?

You uploaded the entire Quick Upgrade folder to the Xbox, not just the default.xbe file?

It takes everything in the extracted Quick Upgrade folder for the app to run properly.

10 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

You uploaded the entire Quick Upgrade folder to the Xbox, not just the default.xbe file?

It takes everything in the extracted Quick Upgrade folder for the app to run properly.

i uploaded the whole folder in my E partition in the apps folder. when i launch the default.xbe i get a black screen and a red ring but when i launch the unleashx.xbe file it seems to load good and i get the screen for the upgrade but when i press A to upgrade to the xbox softmodding tool it gives me a error it says that i installed the quick upgrade in the wrong location. Do you know what i did wrong?

On 7/16/2023 at 4:23 PM, Zion Da Wolfo said:

i uploaded the whole folder in my E partition in the apps folder. when i launch the default.xbe i get a black screen and a red ring but when i launch the unleashx.xbe file it seems to load good and i get the screen for the upgrade but when i press A to upgrade to the xbox softmodding tool it gives me a error it says that i installed the quick upgrade in the wrong location. Do you know what i did wrong?

its fixed i had the folder in the wrong place