OGXbox.com

How To Make XBox Image Look Sharper?

15 minutes ago, junkman77 said:

Sure, Refer to post #13 in this thread for the Pin references.

Pins_1_12.jpg

Pins_13_24.jpg

Thank you so much Junkman! Also, I imagine all the black shielded wires are ground right? And to bother you even more, what do you recommend using to open the 360 plastic case? A sharp knife I suppose?

Well, I am a pain in the ass, but I had to ask, because I only have 1 cable to work with, if not, then I would learn on my own. Thank you very much Junkman, it means a lot to me this help ;)

I did it! It took me all day! It was quite the odissey! (I couldn't do your version junkman, too hard for this cable version)

Now summarizing the story:

No ONE in my country was selling the component cable for the 360, only cheap knock offs. So what I did was buying through Yapo, which is a type buy and sell site, were you mostly buy locally.

And there I found ONE guy, just one, in the whole country, who had an original component cable for the 360. And just as my OG XBOX, I bought it blindly, with faith, believing he was not going to scam me, no warranties.

You do this, when things are to niche and you simply cannot buy them on Ebay, etc.

Here:

IMG_20190820_010525.thumb.jpg.3ee8188982ec91b70b5ea51f64b85d34.jpg

It wasn't easy, because this was the version of the cable with the filter at the beginning of the cable. It makes it super hard to work, I had to even trim the OG Xbox "neck" plastic a little, so it could give me enough room to work.

Also I don't know if it's the version of the componente cable, but the OG Xbox plastic case hardly slide through, this compnent cable is very thick.

A lot of work, the good thing is that this component cable has the filter, I don't know but is supposed to be better in terms of protecting from noise, etc.

If anyone has this component cable and wants to get some tips, let me know in a PM. It was a pain in the ass.

Cheers to all ;) And thank you Cian! and also thanks to Junkman!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hector Hidalgo said:

I did it! It took me all day! It was quite the odissey! (I couldn't do your version junkman, too hard for this cable version)

No ONE in my country was selling the component cable for the 360, only cheap knock offs. So what I did was buying through Yapo, which is a type buy and sell site, were you mostly buy locally.

And there I found ONE guy, just one, in the whole country, who had an original component cable for the 360. And just as my OG XBOX, I bought it blindly, with faith, believing he was not going to scam me, no warranties.

You do this, when things are to niche and you simply cannot buy them on Ebay, etc.

Here:

It wasn't easy, because this was the version of the cable with the filter at the beginning of the cable. It makes it super hard to work, I had to even trim the OG Xbox "neck" plastic a little, so it could give me enough room to work.

Also I don't know if it's the version of the componente cable, but the OG Xbox plastic case hardly slide through, this compnent cable is very thick.

A lot of work, the good thing is that this component cable has the filter, I don't know but is supposed to be better in terms of protecting from noise, etc.

If anyone has this component cable and wants to get some tips, let me know in a PM. It was a pain in the ass.

Hi Hector.

Is that pic your handy work?

SS Dave

11 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Hi Hector.

Is that pic your handy work?

SS Dave

Yes it is, and like I said before it was hard because the OG Xbox plug/case doesn't let you work because of how close it is to your iron and cables. But i did it! I checked each and every cable before finishing, found 2 that were making contact (that is 4) fixed that then 2 more that came loose (weak soldering job), fix it. Then check again with my multimeter and everything was perfect.

So at the end after checking and rechecking (not on the Xbox, why take the excitement away) I added a little of hot glue on each side to make it all a bit more resistant.

Rebuild the metal case/plug was also very hard, because the xbox original composite metal case where the pins go, is very sturdy!

To summarize I finished at 1AM. But then I plugged in, and it worked!! Hahahha I was so happy. It looks amazing on my CRT ;)

Cheers Dave.

Edited by Hector Hidalgo
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Well Done

That lead looks better that one of the others posted recently if I didn't know better I would assumed you purchased like that 10 out of 10.

Good to see it's fixed your picture quality as well.

Cheers

I had to do it right! I had only shot in doing it correctly, no more component cables in the whole country here for me ;)

I did burn one finger though :) I was also very excited to do something much better than the guy who just slapped a ton of hot glue in the pins, and finished it there (Youtube). How ugly and ridiculous! 😥

Well, I wish you the best this week Dave, take care.

Edited by Hector Hidalgo

5 hours ago, Hector Hidalgo said:

Here:

Great!  Making a cable like this is difficult; but so rewarding in the end and now you are the expert in your Country!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, junkman77 said:

Great!  Making a cable like this is difficult; but so rewarding in the end and now you are the expert in your Country!

Hahahhha yes maybe you are right! hahahha I honestly wasn't sure were the digital audio cables went and as I never was going to use them, I said, let's stick to the tutorial (if I wanted to finish this decade).

The good thing is that the ground that was there for the composite yellow came in handy, and I soldered to the metal plug to ground everything correctly. It's weird now it looks so sharp on my TV, that I kinda miss that cheap antialising effect that composite used to give me! Hahhhaha

My best regards Junkman77 and thanks again.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/16/2019 at 6:45 AM, junkman77 said:

I think the analog audio and video will be exactly the same.

Personally I like to unsolder the 360 wires instead of cutting them so I don't have to mess with the shield braid.

You may have to add some "Fresh" solder to get them to flow better.

With my method the cable will still be compatible with TVs without Component inputs because the switch is there and works.
If you want details about that, I can provide more information.
And I always wanted the optical audio.
I have found some variations in the 360 cables where the wires for the optical audio is either Black/Brown/Red or Blue/Yellow/Green
Red/Blue go to VCC
Black/Green go to Digital Audio
Yellow/Black go to ground

The Black/Brown/Red combination seemed to be more common in my neighborhood.

Final tip: Take Pictures of EVERYTHING before you cut, remove plugs or unsolder the wires.

20190622_202344.jpg

Hi @junkman77, I know this topic is already somewhat older, but could you please provide some information on how to wire the TV/HDTV switch to the OGXbox plug in order to retain its functionality? I am planing to do the mod in exactly the same way as you did it. Could you maybe also provide some tips on how to remove the metal shields on the OGXbox and the 360 plugs in the most non-destructive way? And which parts of the OGXbox and 360 metal shields must be trimmed down in order to fit everything back into the 360 plastic housing? Both shields must be trimmed down to some extend if I get it right? Thank you very much in advance!

• 1 month later...
On 10/17/2020 at 6:43 AM, BennyS said:

Hi @junkman77, I know this topic is already somewhat older, but could you please provide some information on how to wire the TV/HDTV switch to the OGXbox plug in order to retain its functionality? I am planing to do the mod in exactly the same way as you did it. Could you maybe also provide some tips on how to remove the metal shields on the OGXbox and the 360 plugs in the most non-destructive way? And which parts of the OGXbox and 360 metal shields must be trimmed down in order to fit everything back into the 360 plastic housing? Both shields must be trimmed down to some extend if I get it right? Thank you very much in advance!

You have to cut a trace on the little PCB, then wire the middle post of the switch to pins 5,6 and 7 (GND).
With the switch in the "SD" position wire to pin 17
With the switch in the "HD" position wire to pin 18 and 19
Use a blunt plastic object to push the original 360 plug into the housing where it can be removed; however that part of the shield is discarded.
I used a Dremel to cut the metal shield down to size and a file to debur the edges.

20190602_213704.jpg

sheildCutDown.jpg

20190603_210426.jpg

On 10/18/2020 at 12:43 AM, BennyS said:

I know this topic is already somewhat older, but could you please provide some information on how to wire the TV/HDTV switch to the OGXbox plug in order to retain its functionality?

Once you have gone HD you will never go back..

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

My attempt at this cable a few months ago. Component only.

xbox360.jpg

I re-purpose the spare yellow composite cable for coaxial digital audio. Toslink is wired for optical audio. this was the pinout and filter cap in my 360 AV cable, but check yours if you wire it up:

xbox360opticalout.jpg

The TV/HD switch is used for on/off toslink (may as well use it somehow) may prolong the LED & Receiver.

I ended up not using the cable because the wii2hdmi solution works nicer in my setup.

20201202_114432.jpg

It also has coaxial digital audio connector for 5.1 output. 
Still has stereo over HDMI, with a mini switch to turn it off.

Edited by corona2222