OGXbox.com

How To Make XBox Image Look Sharper?

So here is the deal, I have an OG Xbox for the first time in my life. Games play amazingly well, but I don't know if it's because of the fact that most games use AA, but they tend to look a bit blurry.

I am using the Xbox with component cables on a Sony Wega CRT 29inch, it is a really awesome TV. But like I said the Xbox looks a bit blurry, the Wii/Gamecube through component looks cleaner in comparison. The PS2 also looks clean on my TV using component, but the PS2 image quality is crap anyways so it doesn't even matter.

In essence what I am asking is: Is there an APP or an option within a Dashboard that can make the Xbox games look sharper looking? I know that there are filters within most dashboards, but they are mostly for the dashboard itself, not the games, etc.

Cheers and thank you all, you are a wonderfull community, I mean, we are ;)

8 hours ago, junkman77 said:

Are they Actual Microsoft Component cables or the cheap ones?

The cheap ones (typically under $10 on amazon/fleabay) will product horrible images because they are not properly build or shielded.

Cheap ones, it is the only wires I could buy. I live in south america and finding original component cables for the Xbox is so hard you would have more luck finding gold nuggets.

I try and shield it with aluminium paper and rubber, believe it or not this helped the noise, becoming less, but the blurriness of the picture is still there.

Edited by Hector Hidalgo

1 hour ago, Hector Hidalgo said:

I would but I have a CRT TV, and getting a good picture out of a CRT is almost imposible. But why would I lie? It seems it is a problem with cheap component cables.

you could buy the original xbox 360 component cables and replace the 360 video port with the original xbox, its way cheaper the the original xbox hd pack

18 minutes ago, lilkuz2005 said:

you could buy the original xbox 360 component cables and replace the 360 video port with the original xbox, its way cheaper the the original xbox hd pack

It's what I have been reading just now! We have good timing :) Doing that mod seems to give you the best quality

And I think I found ONE guy in my country selling the Xbox 360 original component cables, because that is still hard to find here, but at least possible. I have to cross my fingers not to get a chinese crappy knockoff cable though. Living in south america is always exciting!

Cheers

Edited by Hector Hidalgo

30 minutes ago, Hector Hidalgo said:

It's what I have been reading just now! We have good timing :) Doing that mod seems to give you the best quality

And I think I found ONE guy in my country selling the Xbox 360 original component cables, because that is still hard to find here, but at least possible. I have to cross my fingers not to get a chinese crappy knockoff cable though. Living in south america is always exciting!

Cheers

just hit up ebay, they should ship to where ever you live, here is one pretty cheap https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Microsoft-XBOX-360-Console-Component-HD-AV-Cable-X801255-100/263105253454?epid=1200539467&hash=item3d424b904e:g:moAAAOSw7ehZdkOa

19 minutes ago, lilkuz2005 said:

"Does not ship to Chile"

Besides, last time I ordered internationaly, I had to wait 2 months, I am not kidding, 2 months to get my package (actually 2 months and 10 days).

In that time I could die or even have kids. It is ridiculous here and it's mostly customs, packages arrive quite quick, then it is in HERE where they sit for months. National post mail service in here is the most hated corp in my country. They dont steal, they are just lazy as hell.

This is one of my last purchases: https://global.cainiao.com/detail.htm?mailNoList=12851103377000212749963001&spm=a3708.7860688.0.d01

And besides everything, when finally that package arrived to my city (small city), my mail guy (who I know) took 4 days to get me the package for no fucking reason, just because he is a lazy ass /&%$& the guy KNOWING that I had waited for 2 months couldn't deliver the package tha same day, that is too much to ask I guess.

And I give him tips!

Edited by Hector Hidalgo
  • Haha 1

Converting an XBOX 360 Component Cable to work with an Original XBOX is a pretty good project depending on your soldering skills.
If you go that route I have some tips since I have done about a dozen of these with working optical ports and SD<-->HD Switch.

Unlike some of the videos; I recommend unsoldering the wires from the 360 connector instead of cutting them to keep the length long enough so you can reuse the 360 housing (with a bit of filing).

20190622_213821.jpg

20190609_153530.jpg

Exploded.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Hector Hidalgo said:

"Does not ship to Chile"

Besides, last time I ordered internationaly, I had to wait 2 months, I am not kidding, 2 months to get my package (actually 2 months and 10 days).

This is one of my last purchases: https://global.cainiao.com/detail.htm?mailNoList=12851103377000212749963001&spm=a3708.7860688.0.d01

And I thought 10 days to travel 350km was bad.

6 hours ago, Blobby85 said:

What actually is a sd to HD Switch? Kind of an upscaler? If yes, what are you using and how to Connect it to the Xbox? Been looking for a upscaler that works on the Xbox for a long time now...

It changes which outputs are used:  HD = Component (YPbPr Aka the Red, Green and Blue connectors - Pin 18 and 19 to Ground) and SD = Composite (Yellow - Pin 17 to Ground).
They way I wire it up with the original XBOX, it changes which "Mode" pins are connected to Ground.

AVIP_PINOUT_white.png

13 hours ago, junkman77 said:

Converting an XBOX 360 Component Cable to work with an Original XBOX is a pretty good project depending on your soldering skills.
If you go that route I have some tips since I have done about a dozen of these with working optical ports and SD<-->HD Switch.

Unlike some of the videos; I recommend unsoldering the wires from the 360 connector instead of cutting them to keep the length long enough so you can reuse the 360 housing (with a bit of filing).

Junkman forgive my ignorance, but having digital audio out, in what way would benefit me? I mean I only play in 2007 CRT and I don't have a 5.1 surround system or anything like that, in fact I am completely ignorant about digital audio.

Thank you junkman77 for sharing, my regards.

7 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Having Digital out would not be any benefit at the moment but for the small amount of extra work I would do it anyway just in cae you decide to add a reciver/amp for 5.1 sound later.

You are probably right. Do you know if the 360 plastic case fits correctly though? Because I see the second picture in Junkmann77 post, but it doesn't seem to be a good fit with the Xbox.

Well, I should ask "him" that. Thank you SS Dave for your Feedback.

If your not worried about digital audio out you could use one of these.

https://www.chimericsystems.com/product/xbox-video-connector

You could then make what looks and works like a original lead excpt for the color.

If at a later stage adding a digital out put is easy to do you can add a coax digital out on the rear of the Xbox

Edited by SS_Dave

1 hour ago, SS_Dave said:

You could then make what looks and works like a original lead excpt for the color.

If at a later stage adding a digital out put is easy to do you can add a coax digital out on the rear of the Xbox

I cannot wait 2 months to get it, no matter how cheap it is! hahhhaaha But I will be using my composite Xbox cable, so no worries there. Cheers and take care Dave.

Personally, while in there and soldering everything up I prefer to just do it once and have all the bells and whistles.  The optical transmitter in the 360 cable is compatible with the OGXBOX and the little board has a capacitor on it already.  You never know if you are going to upgrade your audio system (or get wireless headphones with Optical Inputs) so it is nice to have it there already.
The metal housing for the OGXBOX connector is thicker than the 360 so it take a lot of fiddling to get "just right" without removing too much material.   Wish I had a 3d printer.  Ultimatly you probably will not be looking at the minor (the pictures make it look huge) gaps; but enjoying the OGXBOX in 480p or 720p and much more clarity than the composite cables for much cheaper (these cost me about $7 in parts...total... each)

I did a bunch of these and found a lot of variations in them; not only with the internals, but with how much glue holds the casing together and if the metal shielding was soldered heavily, lightly or not at all.  But they all work the same.  How well yours turns out will depend on how much time you spend on it.
I would guess that about half the time on these is spent on the plastic housing getting them "pretty good".  They will never look "perfect" because they can sometimes take a beating getting them open.

20190815_185119.jpg

20190815_185102.jpg

20190815_185051.jpg

20190815_185035.jpg

5 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

You can also get OGXBOX connectors (just like in the link) from console5 

21 minutes ago, junkman77 said:

Personally, while in there and soldering everything up I prefer to just do it once and have all the bells and whistles.  The optical transmitter in the 360 cable is compatible with the OGXBOX and the little board has a capacitor on it already.  You never know if you are going to upgrade your audio system (or get wireless headphones with Optical Inputs) so it is nice to have it there already.
The metal housing for the OGXBOX connector is thicker than the 360 so it take a lot of fiddling to get "just right" without removing too much material.   Wish I had a 3d printer.  Ultimatly you probably will not be looking at the minor (the pictures make it look huge) gaps; but enjoying the OGXBOX in 480p or 720p and much more clarity than the composite cables for much cheaper (these cost me about $7 in parts...total... each) 

I did a bunch of these and found a lot of variations in them; not only with the internals, but with how much glue holds the casing together and if the metal shielding was soldered heavily, lightly or not at all.  But they all work the same.  How well yours turns out will depend on how much time you spend on it.
I would guess that about half the time on these is spent on the plastic housing getting them "pretty good".  They will never look "perfect" because they can sometimes take a beating getting them open.

Well in those pictures you did it pretty good! You convinced me :) I will do that, sadly my component cable is getting here in about four days, because today here in my country is a holiday, not working day. So my seller will send tomorrow and then I will get it on monday. Crap.

Is there any difference making these your way compared to Cyan way?

Well, thank you guys for your time, take care.

Edited by Hector Hidalgo

I think the analog audio and video will be exactly the same.

Personally I like to unsolder the 360 wires instead of cutting them so I don't have to mess with the shield braid.

You may have to add some "Fresh" solder to get them to flow better.

With my method the cable will still be compatible with TVs without Component inputs because the switch is there and works.
If you want details about that, I can provide more information.
And I always wanted the optical audio.
I have found some variations in the 360 cables where the wires for the optical audio is either Black/Brown/Red or Blue/Yellow/Green
Red/Blue go to VCC
Black/Green go to Digital Audio
Yellow/Black go to ground

The Black/Brown/Red combination seemed to be more common in my neighborhood.

Final tip: Take Pictures of EVERYTHING before you cut, remove plugs or unsolder the wires.

20190622_202344.jpg

Just now, junkman77 said:

Personally I like to unsolder the 360 wires instead of cutting them so I don't have to mess with the shield braid.

With my method the cable will still be compatible with TVs without Component inputs because the switch is there and works.
I have found some variations in the 360 cables where the wires for the optical audio is either Black/Brown/Red or Blue/Yellow/Green
Red/Blue go to VCC

Final tip: Take Pictures of EVERYTHING before you cut, remove plugs or unsolder the wires.

20190622_202344.jpg

I follow your advice. And I get it! You did not want to mess with the shielding! I understand. I will be doing this on Monday hopefully. Thank you very much for the help and the pictures.

On 8/16/2019 at 12:45 AM, junkman77 said:

Red/Blue go to VCC

20190622_202344.jpg

Junkman, today I receive my 360 original component cable! It was the only one in existence in my country. May I ask you if you have a picture of your connector with everything soldered already? So I can have an idea where every wire goes? (or where do I start counting from 1 to 24).

Or maybe it's in one of the pictures and I didn't see it. Thank so much Junkmann, you are the best ;)

35 minutes ago, Hector Hidalgo said:

Junkman, today I receive my 360 original component cable! It was the only one in existence in my country. May I ask you if you have a picture of your connector with everything soldered already? So I can have an idea where every wire goes? (or where do I start counting from 1 to 24).

Or maybe it's in one of the pictures and I didn't see it. Thank so much Junkmann, you are the best ;)

Sure, Refer to post #13 in this thread for the Pin references.

Pins_1_12.jpg

Pins_13_24.jpg