OGXbox.com

Feedback

Rocky5

• Rocky5 unlocked this topic
  • 1 year later...

G'day John, not sure if this is the right place (most other areas are closed!) but recently discovered your Rocky5 Softmod boot disc so after fixing my old 1.4 PAL Xbox (the usual Caps, and thermal paste :-) ) I decided to try the update softmod option from the disc.  Everything went well until the "two reboots" section.  Removed disc as instructed, the reboot started, got the green animation then fade to black.  Nothing.  Orange LED, no activity, no dashboard, nothing.  This Xbox was originally softmodded by previous owner using Tom Clancy save game and AID 3.0

I have tried several re-installs, switched to NTSC, tried several different dashboards, installed to C: and to E: etc. and all have same result.  Boots games & the utils disc just fine.  I even tried the pre-build disc on your Google drive in case the version I had was incomplete.

Only thing that seems to work is to re-install the original MS dashboard.

The HDD has lots of emulation and games still on it so don't want to wipe anything, and unfortunately, I don't have Tom Clancy game if I need to start fresh.  savegame is still there though.

Any ideas on how to get the Xbox to boot to any alternative dashboard?

If you need info, directories etc. happy to oblige, as I can still manually run file manager (and presumably FTP as well)

If there is a better place to ask this, please let me know.  Sorry if any of this is a Noob FAQ, but my previous experience with Xbox mods was the Xecutor3, which was a little more straightforward to do, from what I recall.

Best Regards,

Darren.

10 hours ago, Darren Coull said:

G'day John, not sure if this is the right place (most other areas are closed!) but recently discovered your Rocky5 Softmod boot disc so after fixing my old 1.4 PAL Xbox (the usual Caps, and thermal paste :-) ) I decided to try the update softmod option from the disc.  Everything went well until the "two reboots" section.  Removed disc as instructed, the reboot started, got the green animation then fade to black.  Nothing.  Orange LED, no activity, no dashboard, nothing.  This Xbox was originally softmodded by previous owner using Tom Clancy save game and AID 3.0

I have tried several re-installs, switched to NTSC, tried several different dashboards, installed to C: and to E: etc. and all have same result.  Boots games & the utils disc just fine.  I even tried the pre-build disc on your Google drive in case the version I had was incomplete.

Only thing that seems to work is to re-install the original MS dashboard.

The HDD has lots of emulation and games still on it so don't want to wipe anything, and unfortunately, I don't have Tom Clancy game if I need to start fresh.  savegame is still there though.

Any ideas on how to get the Xbox to boot to any alternative dashboard?

If you need info, directories etc. happy to oblige, as I can still manually run file manager (and presumably FTP as well)

If there is a better place to ask this, please let me know.  Sorry if any of this is a Noob FAQ, but my previous experience with Xbox mods was the Xecutor3, which was a little more straightforward to do, from what I recall.

Best Regards,

Darren.

Sounds like it’s TSOPPED, if it black screens after the Xlogo screen and never loads stage two then the softmod isn’t loading. It’s crashing. 

I take it you have enough space on E? (Over 30MB)

Hi John, thanks for the quick reply!  Yes, plenty of space - please find attached screen shots of the C, D, E & F drives from the file manager on your disc.  Perhaps you can spot something glaringly obvious? :-)  Is there a way to repair this, or should I look to preparing a new HDD on my PC then FTP over the data to keep before swapping the drive out?  Thanks again!

IMG_20190219_204604.jpg

IMG_20190219_204617.jpg

IMG_20190219_204630.jpg

IMG_20190219_204643.jpg

IMG_20190219_204656.jpg

Like I said it looks like it’s TSOPPED (softmod won’t work as it’s already modded)

Copy dashloader from C:\nkpatcher\dashloader\default.xbe copy it to the root of C and name it evoxdash.xbe

now install a dashboard to E:\dashboard\ using the extras disc and reboot. 

If it loads the dashboard you installed it’s TSOPPED, if it tries to load xboxdash.xbe we will need to check some more things. 

(Do not remove anything from C)

Okay, this time, after doing the file copy and dashboard install, it ran through a grey screen say it was installing something, then rebooted again to the XBOX logo screen, then grey screen again, and said ERROR!! - after trying another reboot, it now just cycles through Xbox logo, reboot, Xbox logo, reboot, etc.   I tried a different dash in case, but no difference.  (Still boots fine to your util disc) 

Yes, I can boot the Rocky5 Util disc and retail games quite happily.  The hard part is knowing where to get this stuff from - most original Xbox web searches end up at domain sitters, or sites with no content any more.  I am able to burn something, but will need a little direction on where to get the appropriate .ISO from.  Then I can come back with the BIOS detail.  All I know is that it was originally running this AID 3.0 dashboard.  Any guidance much appreciated!

Phew!  Finally found somewhere to grab BIOS Checker v.5 - here's the result of that:

No idea if this is good or not - wouldn't the program detect it rather than "Unknown" ?  

I have no issue re-doing a flash or whatever - I have the Hexen 2018 disc as well, but would appreciate a step-by-step guide on best way to go about this.  If I am safer to copy over the games etc. with FTP to my PC, then start from scratch, then I can do that (with instruction :-) )

Thanks!

Darren

IMG_20190221_162413.jpg

You may have to do a little bit of homework... I would download a few different Xbox bioses and start compare the md5 hash, see if you can match up any of them. 

When you boot the box is there any different logo underneath the green X or does it still say Microsoft??

Edited by nikeymikey

If you boot HeXEn, press the Y button to see UnleashX's System Info page.  Scroll down to the Kernel Version value, what is it?

Any color mod, etc to a BIOS will change the MD5 hash making it hard to determine exactly which BIOS you are running.  Evox BIOS has a purple EvoX shield in the upper left hand corner of the flubber animation and X2 BIOS's replaced the text below the big-X logo at the end of the animation with Xecuter Rox My Box instead of Microsoft.

Nice, I found the manual for the AID 3.0 disc but not the image to burn to media.  It lists the BIOSes included.

Evox's M8 and M8plus are based on the MS kernel version 5838 and thus the BIOS shows that kernel version.  The AID 3.0 disc had several different versions of the M8/M8plus BIOS available:

EvoX M8
EvoX M8 Stealth 137 GB+
EvoX M8 v1.6
EvoX M8 1.6 Stealth 137 GB+
EvoX M8 Plus
EvoX M8 Plus Stealth 137 GB+
EvoX M8 Plus v1.6
EvoX M8 Plus v1.6 Stealth 137 GB+

It should be one of these. 

BIOS Version Naming Convention Notes: 

Stealth = Boots F Partition before C.
Ejectfix = The DVD Tray will not reset the Xbox when opened.
137 GB+ = Support for G Partition. A must use if you have a 120 gb+ HDD.

Edited by KaosEngineer

Success!  Managed to find a utils disc through a Google drive link on this site's download page, found an AID 4.5 ISO, ran the dashboard installer on the C drive, and now it boots!: Thanks so much to everyone that helped troubleshoot and point me in the right direction.  I did try the flash TSOP option, but couldn't get it to work (something about 5 seconds to go to advanced menu but D-pad didn't move anything and it errored trying to load from bootable dvd disc)  Oh well, guess I'll be stuck with this version for now - the Microsoft logo still shows  on the bottom of the Green X screen, but it does load the dashboard, and games and apps seem to be working just fine.