OGXbox.com

Splinter Cell Controller Problem, I Need Some Feedback, (Original Game)

Hector Hidalgo

Guys, I need some feedback from some veterans out there.

I have my first original Xbox, and I modded it, etc. But I also have a few original games that came with my Xbox etc. one of them is the first Splinter Cell.

The problem is simple, for doing anything in the game I have to press "SUPER" hard on the buttons! (for the action to be performed) Now I know what you'll tell me, buy a new Xbox controller. I just got an original mint condition controller from Japan. All other games I've played don't have this problem, on the opposite I hardly touch the button and the action is performed! (in every other game) The controller is in mint condition and it's original Xbox brand!

Is this how the game was coded? I have the platinum hits version of Splinter Cell by the way.

Thank you all guys, you are a great community from what I have seen, my regards

Edited by Hector Hidalgo

That is a bit strange between the two differant games 

I just had a quick try on Splinter Cell and I found the controler slow to respond. I also tried with Splinter Cell - Double Agent and I had to remove the extention lead from the controler and use a differant controller to unlock the handcuffs at the beginning. They are both OEM contrers the had to use the S type to unlock it as it keeped saying plug in controler and press start with the full size one.

I also tried Metal Gear Solid 2: -Substance with both controlers with the extension lead inline with no probs.

I suspect it's a timing problem.

I also have played plenty of MAME games with the same controler config without any problems.

It should not make any differance this box Ver 1.6 X3 with LCD and 2tb hard disk proberly 85% full using Component video and coax audio out . If i get a chance I will try on a ver1.0 box with a smaller IDE drive.

SS Dave

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

That is a bit strange between the two differant games 

I just had a quick try on Splinter Cell and I found the controler slow to respond. I also tried with Splinter Cell - Double Agent and I had to remove the extention lead from the controler and use a differant controller to unlock the handcuffs at the beginning. They are both OEM contrers the had to use the S type to unlock it as it keeped saying plug in controler and press start with the full size one.

I also tried Metal Gear Solid 2: -Substance with both controlers with the extension lead inline with no probs.

I suspect it's a timing problem.

I also have played plenty of MAME games with the same controler config without any problems.

It should not make any differance this box Ver 1.6 X3 with LCD and 2tb hard disk proberly 85% full using Component video and coax audio out . If i get a chance I will try on a ver1.0 box with a smaller IDE drive.

SS Dave

The weird thing is, everything else works perfectly, the analogues and the triggers on the game, also the Dpad. It is only the face buttons which you have to press super hard. Maybe it has to do with face buttons being analogue too, just like the PS2 controller.

I find strange that no one since the game released had complain about this, this is game breaking for me. So that's why I think there is somehing strange going on, maybe is the softmod? Mmm

Maybe the it's the fact that the Xbox is modded with any mod.

The test would be to try on a autouched xbox with your controller.

May be try a differant controller as I found I had problem between 2 genuine controls one small one large on Splinter Cell just then.

42 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Maybe the it's the fact that the Xbox is modded with any mod.

The test would be to try on a autouched xbox with your controller.

May be try a differant controller as I found I had problem between 2 genuine controls one small one large on Splinter Cell just then.

I just got my first Xbox ever, I live in Chile and I am problably 1 of the 2 guys that have an Xbox in my city hahahaa. And if I manage to find this unkown person, he probably has its console modded also :)

I am downloading the Asian version that is english too according to the internet, to test out if it only the USA version with this issue or not. Cheers SS Dave!

UPDATE: I tried the asian version of Splinter Cell, still the same problem than the US retail version. Maybe the game was alawys like this? Who knows? Cheers!

Edited by Hector Hidalgo

I suggest running the Controller Test Application and see how the A B X Y button presses register in it.

You can use Qwix to extract the content of the XISO (dot iso) image and remove all of the filler (dummy) files that are used to fill up a DVD-R disc when burning the app to media.  After extraction and filler removal, upload the file set to a subfolder in your Xbox's Apps directory.  You may have to rename the XBE file to default.xbe if not already so named so your replacement dashboard will add the Controller Test Application to its menu.

2 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

I suggest running the Controller Test Application and see how the A B X Y button presses register in it.

You can use Qwix to extract the content of the XISO (dot iso) image and remove all of the filler (dummy) files that are used to fill up a DVD-R disc when burning the app to media.  After extraction and filler removal, upload the file set to a subfolder in your Xbox's Apps directory.  You may have to rename the XBE file to default.xbe if not already so named so your replacement dashboard will add the Controller Test Application to its menu.

I have tested other games believe me, and if I only slightly touch the buttons they register right away! In fact I have never used a more responsive controller in my life, the Dualshock 4 is the only other controller that comes to my mind. And like I said, the controller is almost brand new also, it even came with it's original box.

Splinter Cell is the only game with this strange problem, I just wonder how no one else has ever noticed this. To explain the problem, is simple, you remember MGS3 on the PS2? To do certain things you need it to push very softly in the button, for others like stabbing someone or choke you needed to press real hard? Remember?

Well, Splinter Cell buttons only "register" when I push SUPER hard and it simply doesn't register at all when I push wether softly or slightly hard. I hope someone understands what I am saying. Other games work perfectly!

No matter thank you all for your feedback, and take care Kaos!

UPDATE: I am thinking that probably the problem would go away if the controller was a copy, 3rd party or any chinese knockoff because those have no analogue buttons! Cheers.

Edited by Hector Hidalgo

17 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Kaos I tested the  controller APP on my Xbox controller and the controller is working perfectly, the buttons when slightly pressed are in the 80's to 90's range and if I pushed them hard they reach 255 each.

By the way, when you calibrate the analogue thumbsticks, can you diminish the deadzone? Can these settings be saved?

If you don't know that's fine, just curiosity!

Edited by Hector Hidalgo

Hi Hector

For your info I just loaded Splinter Cell on a Xbox that is using RYZEE119's  OG360 interface and had no delay like i did with the wired control even did a hot swap between the 2 and the 360 wireless control worked a dream as it seamed to respond well.

Cheers 

SS Dave

28 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Hi Hector

For your info I just loaded Splinter Cell on a Xbox that is using RYZEE119's  OG360 interface and had no delay like i did with the wired control even did a hot swap between the 2 and the 360 wireless control worked a dream as it seamed to respond well.

Cheers 

SS Dave

YES! This is because the Xbox 360 Gamepad has no analogue face buttons! :)

Still the problem is not the delay, but how hard you have to press, different names but you probably refere to the same issue ;)

I will be checking out that 360 controller mod, it looks really amazing SS Dave!

Cheers and my best regards.

Edited by Hector Hidalgo