OGXbox.com

1.6 XBox Not Keeping Date and Time?

Hector Hidalgo

So yes guys, that is my question.

What's up with my Xbox? It is not keeping the time and date, not only if I unplug it, but only if I turn it off and then on again, it goes back to 2004 😮

Things is, I have a 1.6 version of the Xbox, with Hynix Ram, softmodded. And I looked for any battery and there is no battery, it has a yellow capacitor that it supposed to keep the date and time.

And it is in great looking condition, but what's wrong? Why is not keeping the time? Could I fix it?

I am leaving a picture of my motherboard. Thanks for any feedback! ;)

IMG-20190728-WA0012.jpeg

Hello Hector.

Although the cap looks ok it's properly on it's way out.

A 1.6 Xbox won't boot without the cap so you can't just remove it, you could try replacing it.

It's not something have seen yet but insaying that in all versions of Xbox's all the cap's are getting old and starting to dry-up and causing problems

Years ago I found as I was soldering any capacitors that where starting to leak I would get a strange strong smell as I heated the legs on the offending cap.

As my 1.6 Xbox has internet and sets the clock on boot so I have never noticed the time out as do all the other Xbox's I have in use.

I removed the cap's from them so to prevent damage to the PCB and they are also set on boot to set the clock automaticlaly from the interweb.

As the cap is only for short term memory meaning properly only hours anyway as apposed to a Sony PS2 that I powered up 2 years later and the clock was only 5 minutes out but the PS2 has a large button battery for backup.

Cheers

SS Dave

• Like 1

On 7/31/2019 at 6:04 AM, KaosEngineer said:

Which softmod is installed?

I had 2007 softmod. But now I upgraded to the latest UnleashX version 0.39.0528A Buil 584 (I think is the latest).

I used the latest Mr. Mario video tutorial on Youtube. Sorry for not answering before! Thank you so much for the feedback Kaos!

I will answer my own question for archive purposes and to see if it helps someone in the future. For the first time after days of fixing my Xbox, buying parts for it, replacing thermal paste, cleaning, etc.etc, finally I have had the time to sit and play with it for once.

I played and had the console on for about 6 hours, transfering files, etc. and what do you know? Before going to sleep, I unplugged it from the mains (because my step down converter sound like a nucler plant) and I was 100% sure that the next day the date and time would be resetted. But no, the Xbox kept the time and date! (when turning it on from cold, the next day).

It seems like those 6 hours of "full use" somehow "recharged" the clock capacitor battery. But please understand I know nothing about capacitors, I am just simply reasoning this out.

I am glad, and hope this help other people.

Edited by Hector Hidalgo

Capacitors are a bit like a rechargable battery so it may be ok. Because of the large value of the clock  capactior I would asume there is some sort of current limit on the charging circuit so having the box on for several hours would be long enough to fully charge it.

All good then.

SS Dave

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Capacitors are a bit like a rechargable battery so it may be ok. Because of the large value of the clock  capactior I would asume there is some sort of current limit on the charging circuit so having the box on for several hours would be long enough to fully charge it.

All good then.

SS Dave

Yes, and according to the seller he had not used the console in years, so that's another reason too. By the way and on a completely different topic, what's wrong with the game "Splinter Cell"? When pushing any action on the character I have to press "stupidely" hard on the buttons! In other games my buttons work perfectly! Even Metal Gear Solid 2 work perfect as my gamepad is an original gamepad almost new condition.

Thank you, I just cannot find info on the Internet regarding this game and the terrible lack on sensitivity when playing it. Cheers and thank you for your time and feedback man! My regards

Edited by Hector Hidalgo

That is a bit strange between the to games 

I just had a quick try on Splinter Cell and I found the controler slow to respond. I also tried with Splinter Cell - Double Agent and I had to remove the extention lead from the controler and use a differant controller to unlock the handcuffs at the beginning. They are both OEM contrers the had to use the S type to unlock it as it keeped saying plug in controler and press start with the full size one.

I also tried Metal Gear Solid 2: -Substance with both controlers with the extension lead inline with no probs.

I suspect it's a timing problem.

SS Dave

Edited by SS_Dave