OGXbox.com

Best Replacement Fan To Make XBox Run Quieter?

Vulcan_Zombie

I've tried changing fans 70 mil 80ml temperatures have went up. It's a waste of time plus you got to hack the inside of the box your best bet is to get a good condition donor from an original Xbox believe it or not that's designed for that actual airspace. You don't have to take my word for it you can do things the hard way and find out when you see your temperature creeping up

I have my first original Xbox. Which came to my country with the controllers destroyed, so... I have had time to check the console noise, etc. It is definetely the old HDD the main culprit for the noise!

It is not the fan, it is the old HDD's spinning what's causing the noise. I will try to replace the HDD for a new Sata one, that is when my "working" controller arrives, until then I cannot do much, only stare at it.

Cheers to all.

13 hours ago, neighbor said:

really?

Yep 

I have been working on CD/DVD players longer than I would like to say.

Sure it makes noise while in use.

On power up the lazer turns on and it spins the disk looking for a boot file to load but if no disk is detected  it spins the spindle motor/disk clamper assembly backwards for a split second then foward for a second just to double check it then shuts down(I even just pulled the lid on a Xbox DVD drive to confirm it.) untill you open the tray or reboot the Xbox..

So removing the DVD drive is not going to help reduce noise unless you want to prevent the DVD drive from been used.

If you have had one making noise constanly then it was probably faulty.

I have also tested some Samsung,Thomson,Philips drives and they all do the same.

Yes a SSD would reduce noise but you still need some forced cooling(A FAN) which tends to make more noise than a good hard disk.

SS Dave

• 2 months later...

I replaced my fan with an 80mm Noctua ages ago, and as people have said above, the temps just went up. The fan is quieter because it doesn't whir as loud as the original, but the path of the airflow from the unmodified duct must make a huge difference. I have to set the fan to 100% to even get close to the same temps as an original fan, and then it's just loader than a stock fan anyway.

Edited by Steo1024

• 1 month later...

I run my stock fan at 35% and it's quiet enough.

If your going to use a bigger fan get one with more blades or just stick with the stock one. I am sure MS tested a ship load of fan types before settling on the one in the Xbox.

SS Dave

Those who can Hard-Mod, Those who can't Soft-Mod.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I saw a Youtube video once where someone refurbished an OG XBox and replaced the OEM fan with this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003PNLRLU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(Nexus 70mm Real Silent Case Fan).

It apparently is nice and quiet, and as a bonus, fits directly into the XBox without modification. i bought one myself, but haven't had a chance to try it yet. I'll try and report back when I do.

- Rogue Ogre

• Like 1

On 1/21/2020 at 10:14 PM, Rogue Ogre said:

I saw a Youtube video once where someone refurbished an OG XBox and replaced the OEM fan with this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003PNLRLU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(Nexus 70mm Real Silent Case Fan).

It apparently is nice and quiet, and as a bonus, fits directly into the XBox without modification. i bought one myself, but haven't had a chance to try it yet. I'll try and report back when I do.

- Rogue Ogre

Hm, I'd definitely like to hear how it worked out for you. This review suggests there was some modification required: https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R3AHBCWLY48BEE/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B003PNLRLU

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hi

i have replaced the fans in 2 of my original xboxes. i tried cleaning them before, but the bearings inside these fans can in fact go bad, and replacing the fans was easier for me than fixing the bearings of the og-fans... 

i went with bequiet pure wings 80mm. these fans do a superb job! since they are slightly larger than the originals, i had to modify the hdd-caddy and dvd-caddy a little bit (search for "original xbox 80mm fan mod") and cut off 2 edges of the fans (which is very simple to do with the pure wings-series of fans). result: temps are ok, but the boxes are definitely not as loud as before. i have set the fan-speed to about 40-50% and it is not audible at all. 

of course, since i replaced the fans, the hdd-noises were much more present than before. :P soo, my second advice would be to replace the hdd with a modern sata one or even an ssd. the dvd-drive is quite noisy when reading discs, but not audible in idle-mode. in my opinion, getting entirely rid of it would be the last option to choose.

so in short:

- clean the orginal fan and see if it changes something

- if noise is still present, either replace your fan with a modern one (requires some cutting of the caddys).

- or: replace the hdd with a modern sata or ssd (adapter and soft-/hard-modding required)

at this point, i would also recommend replacing the thermal paste of the gpu/cpu.

- last fix: get rid of the dvd-drive

i hope this helps you in choosing a "direction" to go...

greetings

bot