OGXbox.com

After Removing the Clock Capacitor.

• 2 months later...

you can even do a battery mod if you want, with 2 cr2016 coin cells, you need a 2 cell holder and a diode, you wire it up to replace the cap with the diode on the + leg.

the diode serves two functions 1 it drops the voltage to 5.3v, 2 it stops the mainboard trying to "charge" the battery.

i have the details on a backup somewhere if i can find it i will post it here, it was used on an og xbox laptop project years ago, and it works if a little kludgey..

46 minutes ago, sinclairuser said:

you can even do a battery mod if you want, with 2 cr2016 coin cells, you need a 2 cell holder and a diode, you wire it up to replace the cap with the diode on the + leg.

the diode serves two functions 1 it drops the voltage to 5.3v, 2 it stops the mainboard trying to "charge" the battery.

i have the details on a backup somewhere if i can find it i will post it here, it was used on an og xbox laptop project years ago, and it works if a little kludgey..

You sure 5.3 volt Ithought it was a 1farad 2.5 volt cap?

7 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

You sure 5.3 volt Ithought it was a 1farad 2.5 volt cap?

yes you are correct! just found the clock cap i pulled out of my 1.1  2.5v 1F.

so either they were 2 1.5v cells or he was giving it to much voltage, though it seemed to work ok.

it is years ago memory 'aint what it was, LOL.

Edited by sinclairuser

3 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

I have set all my Xbox's to auto time set via the net any way.

The clock been out of time realy makes no deffrance any way it's prob my OCD that want's it set corectly.

well back then we didn't know you could just rip them out.

he probably didn't want to set it, also some guys did some mods just for the hell of it.

I just had a look at this Xbox which I plan to get another PSU for. I haven't even cleaned the board yet, it's filthy, but does all this white residue here look like acid from that clock capacitor to you? 

20191004_042311.thumb.jpg.4ec03af104a13ca3e9097e8010ac62ce.jpg

I won't have my soldering iron until during the week, so if it needs to be removed quickly, I'll probably have to just snap it off.

Yes that is damage from the leaking cap. The brown is dust and dirt stuck to the liquid that's leaked from the cap as well.

Whether you wait till you get your new soldering iron or snap the cap of the board is up to you a week or 2 is not going it make it any worse

749251860_damagedpcb.jpg.7434a9a57d1360223ad72cb6334f9c5e.jpg

The 3 round via points in the blue box are a result of the leaking cap

The common term used on this site is trace rot I call it corrosion

That PCB should be removed and cleaned both sides with isoprenol and a tooth brush(Don't waste your time using qtips) then air dried with a  hair drier or heat gun