OGXbox.com

Installing 2tb Drive In XBox

TotalMoop

I'm after a little help with this.

Do you folks have a GOOD link to a Video on exactly how to install a 2TB drive reliably?

I'm struggling to figure out the best reliable method on how to do this... Setting up partitions, with what apps etc..

I installed a 500GB IDE in my xbox but it's been nothing but trouble. so I obviously didnt do it the correct way

Any help, advice, links or even better for the forum, a post with details, application downloads and images for a walk through.

Thanks very much in advance!!

• Thanks 1

Not a video tutorial but this forum thread has lots of good info: https://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=649&hilit=2tb+hdd

Use XBPartitioner 1.3 instead of 1.1. 

Biggest problem is making sure that the cluster size is set correctly for the larger partition size.  

Cluster size in KBytes relates to maximum partition size in GB's using the following formula:
n KB x 16 = m GBytes

8 KB cluster size →  8 x 16 = 128 GB
16 KB cluster size → 16 x 16 = 256 GB
32 KB cluster size → 32 x 16 = 512 GB
64 KB cluster size → 64 x 16 = 1,024 GB (1 TB)(Source: http://www.smdepot.net/forum/index.php?topic=2438.0)

A cluster is the minimum size a file is allocated on the HDD.  A file smaller than 64KB will still be allocated 64KB of HDD space (128 512-byte sectors). Files larger than 1 cluster will be allocated multiple clusters until the remaining part to be written is less than 1 cluster.  This remaining chunk of data will be allocated and stored to 1 final cluster on the HDD.  

If a game has 100's of small files (<64KB), lots of space will be allocated/wasted on those files reducing the available free space much faster then when a small cluster size is used.

XBPartitioner 1.3 will let you know if it thinks the current cluster size is wrong for the partition size by showing "ER" as indicated in the figure below.59b21487dccfc_XBPartitioner1.3ClusterSizeError.jpg.07898654d487695662b5cbb99a8a36e1.jpg
Source: https://assemblergames.com/threads/xbpartionter-1-3-2tb-mod.66136/

You need a compatible IDE-to-SATA adapter and an 80-wire 40-pin IDE cable (24 inches long).  This new cable is a MUST have item.

These are the pitfalls to overcome when installing a 2TB SATA HDD in an ogXbox.

1. Use XBPartitioner 1.3 not any prior version to partition and format the 2 HUGE 927.78GB (for a 2TB drive) extended partitions 6 and 7 on HDD.
  2. Make sure that you select 64KB clusters for these two 927.78 GB partitions. Smaller cluster sizes don't support access to the entire partition and will cause data corruption when you reach the last cluster and loop back to the beginning of the partition overwriting data. :( 
  3. Purchase a compatible adapter best if it has MASTER/SLAVE (CS too if available) IDE device configuration jumpers. The KingWin ADP-06 does not and is always a MASTER on the IDE bus.  Therefore, it cannot be used with Chimp to clone the original HDD as outlined in most softmod larger HDD installation tutorials. Otherwise, the KingWin ADP-06 works when installing a larger SATA HDD in a TSOP'd or hard modded Xbox
  4. You MUST use an 80-wire 40-pin IDE cable to eliminate problems caused by the higher data transfer rates when using a SATA HDD and adapter. The  Xbox does support UDMA100. The IDE spec/standard states that for higher transfer rates this cable is necessary to eliminate crosstalk between the higher speed signals sent between the controller and drive.
Edited by KaosEngineer
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Great info from poster above - I do 2TB drives all the time and have some quick notes on the setup.

What's needed - 2TB drive, 80 wire 40 pin IDE adapter, Sata/Ide adapter

This adapter will workhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Female-SATA-SSD-HDD-Hard-Drive-To-IDE-3-5-40-Pin-Male-Converter-Adapter-7-15P-/172719304915?epid=2264787562&hash=item2836df70d3:g:UWUAAOSwal5YEEAL

Step 1: Typical soft mod - or go right to mod chip

Step 2: Softmod - Replace IDE cable with new one, put adapter on new drive and set the jumper on the adapter to slave. I usually take a game case and anti static hard drive sleeve and lay on top of the dvd drive, placing HDD on top of that. so the back of the adapter isn't too far from the IDE connection of the DVD drive. Use latest chimp from Rocky5 Softmod tool, hot swap IDE connector to hard drive and clone master to slave. 

Step 2 - TSOP - Using original hard drive still, bridge your points and flash new BIOS using HeXen or other preferred utility - make sure you flash a Bios that has LBA48 support. Examples are: IND-BIOS 5003, Evox M8 (F&G) X2.5035.

Step 3 - TSOP/Softmod - Install drive (for TSOP), set jumper to master.  TSOP you will just start new drive setup with HeXen, and install applications from CD on E partition (this will put XBparitionner.. Softmod tool may handle your partition/cluster sizes correctly, I do mostly TSOP but install XBpartitioner in your apps folder on E to double check.

FORMATTING THE DRIVES - here is the trick/easy way to do it.  Do this from UnleashX dashboard not from HeXen CD.

load it up XBpartitioner v1.3, and hit the A button until you see the 927GB as shown above in the picture. from the poster before me.  Now, before formatting highlight partition 6 and use the right d-pad to change that value to the next increment down (926GB). Repeat this step for Partition 7.  Now format.  After format is complete, exit/restart.  You will see like 486GB on F and nothing in G.  Load Xbpartitioner again, and set both values to 927 (max) and re-format. When you restart you will have 949,000 MB on each partition and they will be at 64K.

Edited by Incursion64
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

HI Folks - I have my original xbox with a X3 chip (with the front custom faceplate) and I want to get it up and running again with a larger hard drive.

Right now it has a 250GB hard drive in it - and that works fine.

I got a 2TB drive (WD Blue) and got the Kinwin ADP-06 adapter and got the drive installed.  

I fired up Slayer EvoX bootcd 2.7 and did the "upgraded HDD - full install" - it formatted the drive and then copied stuff over - except that it never seemed to do that.  The drive sizes for always show zero, and it boots up to the X3 bios.

What am I doing wrong?    I do have the 80wire, 40pin cable coming - but suspect that is required for large data transfers, not the initial setup?

Thanks in advance!

Matt

I just saw this in the linked tutorial - maybe this is my problem?  I will get another adapter and try.

Some drives using Kingwin’s hardware will let you format the drive and run software via DVD, but will not allow anything to run from it (even with the boot tricks) and I’ve yet to determine why.

Ok - I have tried two 2TB drives (Seagate 7200 and WD Blue) as well as two different adapters...

I am gettiing the same behaviour on all combinations - any idea?  When I do a format in the X3 bios it seems like it does something, but when i boot into evox slayer 2.7 (from dvd) it shows all drives (c,e,f,g) as 0 bytes.  And when I tell it to do a "full rebuild - upgraded HDD" it looks like it is copying, but again - it won't boot from the drive - it drops into BIOS.

I have also messed with the settings for "all on F, or 137GB on F, and the rest on G".

Matt

Edited by mathewbeall

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/29/2018 at 7:51 PM, mathewbeall said:

Ok - I have tried two 2TB drives (Seagate 7200 and WD Blue) as well as two different adapters...

I am gettiing the same behaviour on all combinations - any idea?  When I do a format in the X3 bios it seems like it does something, but when i boot into evox slayer 2.7 (from dvd) it shows all drives (c,e,f,g) as 0 bytes.  And when I tell it to do a "full rebuild - upgraded HDD" it looks like it is copying, but again - it won't boot from the drive - it drops into BIOS.

I have also messed with the settings for "all on F, or 137GB on F, and the rest on G".

Matt

Try a newer installer disc, Hexen 2017 or Forlorn Penguin's new Hexen 2018 updated release.

Chimp 261812 works to clone the original/current HDD to a new larger HDD and partition the remaining space (I think it works best starting with the original 8GB drive with only a C,  E and the X, Y, Z cache partitions present.)  The remaining space on the new HDD is partitioned as user selected.  For a 2TB drive, the remaining space needs to be split equally between F and G.  You should end up with the 2 additional drives F and G that are 927.78GB each using 64KB clusters.  Double check these items by running XBPartitioner v1.3. 

If Chimp was not used to clone the original HDD, the additional space can be formatted and partitioned with XBPartitioner v1.3 after installing a new HDD. (For those with a modchip or TSOP reflashed and installing a new HDD formatted by Evoxdash, UnleashX, etc.

Edited by KaosEngineer
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
hi .. I am a fan of classic xbox first model .. I wanted to install a 2 tb HD .. I followed the guide with hexen .. I took hd compatible, 80 wire cable, working adapter I did everything, but I find myself with xbpartitioner 1.3 in this situation, then pressing the A key I reach the 2 partitions of 926,78 but I always see the ER cluster and not what should I do?

IMG_20190904_134719.jpg

IMG_20190904_134606.jpg

Edited by archfranck

non vedere 64 cluster !! scusami per il mio inglese .. usa il traduttore e per il personaggio.

OKKKK risolto vedo post .. ok ora cluster da 64 kb.

Ora penso che il mio problema sia che ho 2 TB di gioco .. possibile copiarlo in partizioni F e G (50% di gioco in F e 50% di giochi in G?) Direttamente o creare una cartella .. aiutare i miei amici

Edited by archfranck
risolto

There should be no game that is 2TB in size.  If you have, for example, the 2TB Origins disc image, it is meant to be installed to an empty, well doesn't matter it will overwrite data on any 2TB drive with the disc image content. Use the Windows application from HDDGuru called HDD Raw Copy Tool.

The HDD Raw Copy Tool supports creating from and writing to a hard drive two types of image files.  Either a dot img or dot imgc file - the former is an uncompressed disc image while the later is a compressed disc image.

no no.. i have 2 tb games but 400 game ..total 2 tB ... eheheh no  single game or iso ..my problem is possible send 200 game in one folder F:/..

and 200 games in G:/...?

Last problem not see partition  G in clonezilla for ftp send game ...

Possible not have formatted in xbpartitioner 1.3 ?

IMG_20190904_153931.jpg

Edited by archfranck

ok risolve .. il problema è xbmc non vedere la partizione G .. avalaunch x sì ... liberare sì ..... non è possibile correggere xbmc per risolvere questo problema non scrivere non vedere la partizione G.

aggiorno scrivo un file in G con liberare anf dopo l'avvio con xbmc e ora tutto funziona .. OKKKKKK

Tomorrow try install game in F and in G.. need create another folder games in G ?

Necessary create another folder (games) in G and all  game ( F e G) in one section xbox games.

But i think 400 game is in one section is very hight , probability exist one limit to number games..

that is, I wanted to create 2 folders (Games A-M) and Games (N-Z) and all the divided games at the start of xbmc within the folder.

tomorrow try

Edited by archfranck

ok now everything ok works almost everything with my new 2 Tb hard drive.
One problem I can't solve is that I have more than 400 games but I can't load them on a single window it becomes complicated to look for them to play.
I wanted to split the game launcher window into 4-5 folders in which to put 100 games and search for them more easily.
It can be done?

Yes, I've forgot which dashboard are you using?  (and too lazy to go back and try to find it.)

I'm guessing XBMC.  It's not the simplest thing to do as the menu has one Games tab under PROGRAMS but you can add additional items to the menu.

UnleashX's menu is a bit easier (no make that a whole lot easier) to configure to split the listing into many parts.  Install games in separate folders (e.g., 0-9, A-E, etc) and add a menu entry for each section so that items listed in it are stored in separate subfolders for each group that you want displayed.

You could have Games - Racing, Games -Sports, Games - FPS, etc.

They can be listed under the top-level menu or you can create named groupings under the top-level Games menu item.

Listed on top-level menu:

• Launch DVD
  • Games - Racing
  • Games - Sports
  • Games - FPS
  • Games - <another group>
  • Applications
  • System
  • File Explorer
  • MS Dashboard

Or under Games

• Launch DVD
  • Games
    • Racing
    • Sports
    • FPS
    • <another group name>
  • Applications
  • System
  • File Explorer
  • MS Dashboard

In newer versions of XBMC4Xbox, it's printed in the xbmc.log file.  Login to the Xbox's FTP server and go to the Q drive.  Download log file and open it in a text editor:

Excerpt from the top of XBMC4Xbox's xbmc.log file (the version is printed in BOLD letters below):

18:36:27 M: 56655872  NOTICE: -----------------------------------------------------------------------
18:36:27 M: 56635392  NOTICE: Starting XBMC4Xbox 3.5.3-r33027 (SVN:33027, compiler 1310). Built on Feb 27 2016

the same cannot be said about older versions though:

18:51:53 M: 52830208  NOTICE: -----------------------------------------------------------------------
18:51:53 M: 52809728  NOTICE: Starting XBoxMediaCenter.  Built on Oct 27 2006

Or, go to XBMC or XBMC4Xbox's Settings -> System Info page.  It will be displayed there.

Exactly where to find this information page depends on the skin being used. For example:

XBMC4Xbox - Confluence Lite

901599789_ConfluenceLite-System-SystemInfo.png.c8c1535fe4033439f47ccd150b6b3a2b.png

Use the D-pad to move to System then down and over to System Info, press A to see the following page.

1172471290_ConfluenceLite-System-SystemInfoPagewithVersioninBlue.png.60a717a3c326679af8d2c06ed9cb5720.png

The version is printed in blue.

XBMC4Xbox - Project Mayhem III

700474235_ProjectMayhemIII-SystemInfoButton.png.2deba6c7355fff8ddbcf49ca896b0b97.png

On the main menu, press the D-pad left or right to have the Red power button icon selected on the bottom of the screen (slowly pulsing Red background color going on and off), press A, then move left to the i and press A to see the following page.

1868037115_ProjectMayhemIII-SystemInfoPagewithversionatbottom.png.28ac8d3c034ccf3d50af768569856e03.png

The version is printed on the bottom of the right-hand pane.  here XBMC4Xbox 3.5.3-r33027.

• 2 months later...
hi .. thanks for the good you gave me earlier.
Today I have another problem, I bought an xbox used with modchip xecuter2.
I wanted to put another 2 TB hard drive like I did on another xbox before.
But partitioner 1.3 tells me that the bios is not supported.
I tried to format it with chimp in different modes, but in the end it only formatted F 1.9TB, while G tells me it is not supported.
I saw that filezilla regularly sees me on the F partition and I started to upload files, Games and everything is working.
I've loaded almost 500GB of games and they work.
But I've read that xbox doesn't work with partitions over 1 TB, but it's working.
I leave it like this or, I'll have problems later.
Do I need to update bios?
I read that if I am wrong to update bios I risk breaking the console permanently.
What should I do what you advise me .. give me some help.
Thanks

9 hours ago, archfranck said:

hi .. thanks for the good you gave me earlier. Today I have another problem, I bought an xbox used with modchip xecuter2. I wanted to put another 2 TB hard drive like I did on another xbox before. But partitioner 1.3 tells me that the bios is not supported. I tried to format it with chimp in different modes, but in the end it only formatted F 1.9TB, while G tells me it is not supported. I saw that filezilla regularly sees me on the F partition and I started to upload files, Games and everything is working. I've loaded almost 500GB of games and they work. But I've read that xbox doesn't work with partitions over 1 TB, but it's working. I leave it like this or, I'll have problems later. Do I need to update bios? I read that if I am wrong to update bios I risk breaking the console permanently. What should I do what you advise me .. give me some help. Thanks

If XBPartitioner v1.3 says that LBA48 is not found in the BIOS, you need to patch the BIOS to have the latest LBA48 patch applied to it and reflash the updated BIOS to the modchip or TSOP.

Which BIOS is currently installed that gives the error with XBPartitioner?

XBPartitioner v1.3 will format the 2TB drive with a 1.9TB partition 6 (F drive); however, you will have problems after uploading more than 512GBs or 1,024GBs of data to it depending upon which cluster size is in use.  With 32KB clusters, the problem will start after 512GB's of data is written and with 64KB clusters after 1,024GB of data is written.  Once you write more than the max supported size, some of the data already written WILL BE corrupted.