OGXbox.com

Something Has Leaked - Any Ideas If This Motherboard Is Fixable?

I opened an xbox that I picked up at the weekend last night.  There was a problem with the disk drive as it kept opening an closing and wouldn't read a disk when it was held closed while the disk was spinning.  I suspected a faulty drive but when I opened it I found that it was absolutely filthy inside and that something had leaked - I have attached pics - I think it's a 1.6 so I don't know what is leaking or if it is repairable - any help greatly appreciated.  Thanks

IMG_1864.jpg

IMG_1865.jpg

the capacitor (red circle) is know to leak and cause corrosion on the board.IMG_1865.thumb.jpg.86716b014ff9e5edab93462376cd8a5a.thumb.jpg.a636b737637bcf6549c8847a6ffc1b6b.jpg

Remove the broken cap by either jiggling it back and forth or unsolder. youtube is your friend if you need info on how to do it. once the pos-cap is gone wipe off the goo with vinegar and q-tips and clean the area with isopropyl.

no need to replace the cap as he xbox will run without it.

downside: you gotta set the clock manually or synchronize over the web

Edited by NoobInDistress
typo (at least one i noticed)
  • Thanks 1

Does it look like a 1.6?  I thought a 1.6 wouldn’t work if you remove the clock capacitor.  I opened the dvd drive and there was goo all over the inside of it - I’m now beginning to think that someone spilt a drink on the console and that nothing has leaked - could I be right?

i cleaned the dvd drive with alcohol and q tips but it still won’t read disks

5 hours ago, C64MidRezzie said:

Does it look like a 1.6?  I thought a 1.6 wouldn’t work if you remove the clock capacitor.  I opened the dvd drive and there was goo all over the inside of it - I’m now beginning to think that someone spilt a drink on the console and that nothing has leaked - could I be right?

i cleaned the dvd drive with alcohol and q tips but it still won’t read disks

its a 1.2-1.3   from the conexant encoder and the atx style power connector.   you can always try and tweak the pot on the dvd drive and see if that fixes it (at least until the extra voltage kills the diode)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Kekule said:

its a 1.2-1.3   from the conexant encoder and the atx style power connector.   you can always try and tweak the pot on the dvd drive and see if that fixes it (at least until the extra voltage kills the diode)

It reads the Rocky 5 dvd I made - eventually but won’t read any games - fixed the opening and closing problem bynputting a tiny pice of cardboard on the top of the dvd drive - the part that keeps the disk in place - could it be the rubber band that’s the problem now?

3 hours ago, C64MidRezzie said:

It reads the Rocky 5 dvd I made - eventually but won’t read any games - fixed the opening and closing problem bynputting a tiny pice of cardboard on the top of the dvd drive - the part that keeps the disk in place - could it be the rubber band that’s the problem now?

yes the band might fix that as well if its slipping right as its closing.... I'd give it a good scrub and relube the rails

• 3 weeks later...

Okay so I cleaned it up - I haven’t removed the clock cap yet.  I put it all back together and it says error 16.  It loads to the Xbox splash but Microsoft does not appear - the screen goes black for a few minutes before error 16 appears - it no longer has the softmod because I rebuilt the drive using Hot Swap with IDE Pc and HDM V1.9 - did it perfectly but it still shows error 16 - would removing the faulty clock cap help?  Thanks