OGXbox.com

Connecting Hyperkin Duke To Xbox

Kik5u

So Hello.

I bought hyperkin duke and that made me think man would it be cool to make this work with my original xbox.

https://www.hyperkin.com/duke-wired-controller-for-xbox-one-windows-10-pc-black-hyperkin.html

I have seen conversion made out of original xbox controller working with windows operating system so can I use that information to reverse engineer usb windows controller to work with xbox? I dont have any clue how xbox recognizes what kind of accessories are attached to controller port?  

So here are maybe few ideas how approach situation: 

Combining  original xbox controller cable with standard usb cable?

Could I use maybe wireless dongle for xbox and hardwire duke into that use it that way?

All information is really appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2019 at 1:22 AM, CrunchBite said:

Wouldn't this be doable with an OGX360 with its xbox one firmware?

Waiting for anyone to test it and report back. I'm guessing it wont work straight away (or it might) as it probably has some quirks but I could fix them I would think with some data.

Edited by Ryzee119
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

I just bought the hyperkin controller and when I plug it into my ogx360 (which I updated the firmware on yesterday) it just vibrates and lcd remains off (I plugged it into the USB port using the hyperkin supplied cable). If I can help at all to get this going just let me know, I'd love to use this controller on the og xbox. 

Looks I could probably get it working. There is likely some special packets that get send to the Hyperkin controller to initialise it during the enumeration process as that seems to be pretty standard with third party Xbox one controllers.

If anyone knows how to use Wireshark and can send a USB traffic log during enumeration that would be good!

I cant commit to any timeframe at the moment as I am in the middle of some other projects

1 hour ago, Ryzee119 said:

Looks I could probably get it working. There is likely some special packets that get send to the Hyperkin controller to initialise it during the enumeration process as that seems to be pretty standard with third party Xbox one controllers.

If anyone knows how to use Wireshark and can send a USB traffic log during enumeration that would be good!

I cant commit to any timeframe at the moment as I am in the middle of some other projects

Captured during enumerating only, no button presses etc. Filtered to only the hyperkin controller.This is my first time using wireshark so lets hope it went ok.

Edited by Philip Burke
removed file, inserted new file below
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I wonder if this issue with the OGX360 is because it uses different IDs to the standard Xbox One controllers, and so the OGX360 doesnt recognise it as such.

This guy talks about a very similar issue to Philips in regards to using it with Linux (timecode is 1:39 to skip the introduction stuff), my guess is if the vendor/product IDs are changed on the OGX360 then it will detect it and work just fine.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

Has anyone come back to this issue , with any new updates. Curious if the above mentioned post has been tested to work or not? And also Ryzee, Curious if you've taken a look at the voltages used/needed for this to work.

Lastly i was looking around about this but i was wondering would it even be possible to set up a custom boot screen as we do on the console?

As I already wrote here, I tried this about 4 weeks ago. Worked instantly and flawless. So, yes, the current firmware for the OGX360 can handle the Hyperkin Duke. Also, I only connected to the XBox port 1, so the power consumption is a non-issue. It just says it needs 500 mA; it doesn't really need it.

Edited by Arakula
Gosh. 4 weeks already ... time flies ...

But, TBH, I would recommend using an original Duke controller on the OG XBox. Apart from the flashy little screen, the Hyperkin Duke has nothing to offer that exceeds the original's capabilities - on the contrary, it only has digital buttons, where the original has analog ones. Some games rely quite heavily on that (my beloved Sega GT 2002, for example).