OGXbox.com

Cleared, Masked, Painted and Mounted. It Came Out Pretty Good.

Dave C.

Don't laugh.  An orbital sander.  It turns out that when you paint it, at least with a solid color (pretty sure a translucent color would not work, that it appears perfectly clear.  I am working on a pretty badly damaged one where I had to sand the front as well (by hand).  I will post a pic if it turn out nicely.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You can use an orbital sander, I usually use 1000 grit pads (add a little water to the pad first), then sand by hand using one of those car headlight kits. Wet sand using the two pads that come with it and buff it with the attachment that hooks up to a hand drill. Clear looks awesome and perfect for painting. I usually get the scuffs off the front also with that kit.

AA04E086-362F-4764-80F2-501BB5BEE0FD.thumb.jpeg.cb93760d3fb4936dd89de726b60ebfe1.jpegA34EE5EE-1677-4078-B350-1D9B1C187653.thumb.jpeg.7d3228fb8a2c8ef62508552dfb70d378.jpeg

27C59E8E-9C33-4D47-BCBF-25D468FF56CD.jpeg

Started at 8:40, finished at 9:13

Step 1 - Remove RF shielding from underside of Case Top. Use a heat gun or hair dryer on the underside where the jewel sits above. Don't heat too long and move the air around, too much heat can warp or burn through the plastic.  Once you have sufficiently warmed the bottom, the foam tape under the jewel will have softened. Use a prying tool or a thin flat head to pry up.  Don't force it too much, you don't want to damage the edge of the jewel.  Once you get the flat head under the jewel a little ways, lift the handle of the screwdriver upward so you are lifting the jewel with the shaft of the screw driver instead of the tip. Lift slowly, the tape is stretchy and will work itself free. The jewel can be fragile, you don't want to fracture or crack it.

Step 2 - Use thermal paste remover to soften tape if needed.. On that hard rubber tape that some units have I had to re-apply and scrape off, I actually used the flat heat a little for that (carefully). The soft stuff you can just wipe with a rag. Just like when removing thermal paste the more moist the substrate, the more it penetrates what you are removing. I actually used that to completely get rid of all the green also by wiping over it.. BE CAREFUL IF USING - If you let the remover sit too long it can damage the plastic.  When I did the jewel above, i had no issues, i did another yesterday and completely screwed it up.  

ALTERNATIVE - Sand it down, start with a little grit like 320 or so, if you can get the tape off by warming, peeling, goo gone or whatever, you can probably go right to 600 grit (can use an orbital here).  Then do the wet sanding at 1000 grit, then 3000 grit.

Step 3 - using Meguiars Headlight kit, I wet sanded using the 1000 grit (have used orbital also, but easy enough by hand). I did both sides of jewel, continuously adding water, then used the 3000 grit pad on both sides jewel.

step 4, Use about a nickels worth of plastX cleanser and polish (to both sides) and buff with the drill wheel. Dry with microfiber cloth and ready for paint or leave as is if you want a clear jewel.  The kit you can get on Amazon. It comes with the buffing wheel, 2 sanding pads, an the plastX solution.

Edited by Incursion64
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...