OGXbox.com

How To Clone Sata Hard Drive To Ide Drive - Yes You Read That Right!

C64MidRezzie

Hi - I have a 500GB SATA drive upgrade complete with Startech SATA to IDE connector and 80 pin IDE cable.  However, I still feel my 400 GB IDE xbox loads coin ops games quicker.  I bought a new old stock 500GB IDE drive and now I want to clone my SATA drive to my IDE Drive.  Is this possible?  I could use Chimp or could I use HDM V1.9?  I would Prefer to use HDM V1.9 but I'm not sure it would recognise a SATA drive even if it is connected using a Startech SATA to IDE - anyone shed any light on this?  Thanks

No reason it wouldn’t. Startech adapters should come with the necessary splitter cables, so you can also power the IDE without too much trouble. 

As far as using HDM V1.9, no dice there as far as I’m aware BUT you can use Rocky5’s Xboxhdm23 beta 2? Maybe 3? and connect your SATA disk natively to a newer Pc to achieve the same effect. 

Not gonna clone the disk though, just build it. You’d have to use CHIMP or HDD raw copy tool to actually clone it. 

21 hours ago, Ging3rguy said:

Just use chimp  as you would but the opposite way around. Are you soft or hard modded? If hard modded you can just build the drive using hexen and ftp across the files if you have them backed up on your pc. Hdm V1.9 should also work

Softmodded - would this work?

1. Backup SATA drive to PC

2. Create a fresh 500gb IDE drive using old PC and HDM V.1

3. Softmod Freh IDE drive using ROCKY 5

4. FTP files that I backed up from PC to new drive

Will it know to start in the xbmc 4 gamers dashboard as that’s the way the current SATA drive boots up?

Clone the SATA HDD with CHIMP 261812 like you would the original IDE HDD to a SATA drive/adapter combo. The devices all connect via the IDE interface.  Your source drive is the SATA HDD/adapter (MASTER) being cloned to the destination the new old stock IDE HDD (SLAVE) connected to the DVD's IDE connector.

The hard drive (MASTER) has to have a partition table written to it for the extended partitions to be cloned correctly.

If you don't know if there's a partition table on the hard drive, run XBP Table Writer from the Chimp 261812 github repository.