OGXbox.com

Unexpected Error 6

Magicaldave

Hey guys! 

Got a bit of a weird one here, as usual in the Repair subforum I guess. 

Buddy of mine had been begging me to set him up with a couple consoles to system link at home, so on the promise that he’d play Doom 3 through with me I just let him walk with them. 

15 minutes after he gets to his place and sets everything up, I get a picture from him with the console showing Error 6 on boot. I believe this is incorrect HDD key, which isn’t much of an issue as I knew better than to let a system out the door without backing up its keys. 

Here’s the rub: I was playing Halo on this very same console for hours before I got it to him. In fact, I’d left it running overnight to FTP stuff onto. So I know for a fact this console worked great pretty much until it left my possession. I’m gonna get it back tomorrow, but I’m the meantime i was wondering if you guys could help me figure out why this happened in the first place because I’m really not convinced the keys are wrong. It ran for at least 12 hours straight before I sent it off. 

What gives, bois?

Was the console softmodded?  Using Rocky5's Xbox Softmodding Tool.  

Maybe he enabled virtual EEPROM in NKPatcher Settings app then tried to NULL the HDKey.  It locked the drive with the NULL key but the virtual EEPROM was modified with the new NULL HDKey while the real EEPROM on the motherboard has the original HDKey still.  The password being attempted is thus wrong. The hard drive was locked using the NULL'd HDKey's generated password.  However, upon a power cycle/reboot, the password generated to unlock the drive is using the original HDKey's value, not the NULL value.

Would take someone playing around on a new device they knew not what they were doing to get into such a predicament.

Indeed it was. My guess is pretty much the same, either that or just unlocked the drive altogether and the system didn’t know what to do after. Guess I’ll find out if my EEPROM keys work. 

Can you put passcodes on apps/folders in XBMC4GAMERS as you can in UnleahX? Seems kinda overbearing but taking off NKPatcher/chimp/etc seems like a worse idea. 

15 hours ago, Ging3rguy said:

If you zero all your keys it makes for an easier fix.

I had considered zeroing the keys but ended up being really pressed for time so that kinda didn't happen. Will definitely fix that since I have the opportunity to do so. Usually I just TSOP and forget about it, but I didn't see much point in TSOPing a console if it wasn't going to give the user much advantage. Well... I guess in this EXACT case it would have. XD

Edited by Magicaldave

9 hours ago, Ging3rguy said:

Yep, all my boxes are either TSOP or chip in case of hdd errors.

I have to admit I’m just a wee bit hesitant these days to do TSOPs as I tend to go a bit too far. I think you had a few replies in my previous thread where I nuked a box trying to get config injection working in IND-BIOS. But that’s more my fault than IND.