OGXbox.com

Found Locked 300gb Ide Hard Drive Buti No Longer Have the XBox It Came From - How Do I Unlock It?

C64MidRezzie

I hace a 300gb IDE hard drive that I used in a sodtmodded Xbox back in the day - only realized this evening that it is locked and that I no longer have the Xbox I made it for - is there anyway to unlock it - I have softmodded xboxes lying around - would they help

unlock it?  Thanks

Edited by C64MidRezzie

Depends how it was setup in the first place. 

It would be nice if you had the eeprom.bin backup from the console it was installed in. :)

Do you know how the console it came from was modded?

Update: You said softmodded. Do you remember which softmod was used?

What brand and model is the hard drive?

MASTER Passwords may be XBOXSCENE, TEAMASSEMBLY or the manufacturer's default.

48 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

Depends how it was setup in the first place. 

It would be nice if you had the eeprom.bin backup from the console it was installed in. :)

Do you know how the console it came from modded?

Update: You said softmodded. Do you remember which softmod was used?

What brand and model is the hard drive?

MASTER Passwords may be XBOXSCENE, TEAMASSEMBLY or the manufacturer's default.

I used SID 5.10 Installer - It’s a PATA Maxtor DiamondMax 100 - 6L300RO - thanks

Do you have a PC with native IDE interface connections?

You could also try using your current softmodded Xbox with Chimp 261812 to unlock the hard drive if it happens to be locked with either of the two old Xbox scene master passwords of either TEAMASSEMBLY or XBOXSCENE.

You'll install the 300MB hard drive as you would when using Chimp to clone your current MASTER hard drive to a new hard drive.  However, we won't be doing any cloning.

Power both the MASTER and to be SLAVE (300GB) hard drive using a Molex power splitter connected to the Xbox's HDD power connector.  Set the 300GB's jumpers to SLAVE or CS. Power on the Xbox without any IDE connection to the 300GB drive.  Start Chimp 261812.  When prompted, connect the DVD drive's IDE connector to the new hard drive.  Press A after it is connected.  Go into the SLAVE drive operations menu.  Unlock hard drive, use either of the two scene's master password options:

4 "From Master password:XBOXSCENE"

Does it show that it worked.  If not try,

5 "From Master password:TEAMASSEMBLY"

Did it work?  If not, search for MAXTOR DiamondMax 10 hard drive's default password(s).  I know the two for the stock Seagate or Western Digital drives but not that one.

Update:

From https://www.forensicswiki.org/wiki/Hard_Drive_Passwords:

Master Passwords
These passwords were received from unofficial sources, they may not work!

• Western Digital: WDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWD
  • Maxtor: Maxtor*INIT SECURITY TEST STEP*F (* means 00h)
  • Seagate: Seagate followed by 25 spaces
  • Fujitsu, Hitachi, Toshiba: 32 spaces
  • Samsung: tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
  • IBM:
    CED79IJUFNATIT
    VON89IJUFSUNAJ
    RAM00IJUFOTSELET

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KaosEngineer said:

Do you have a PC with native IDE interface connections?

You could also try using your current softmodded Xbox with Chimp 261812 to unlock the hard drive if it happens to be locked with either of the two old Xbox scene master passwords of either TEAMASSEMBLY or XBOXSCENE.

You'll install the 300MB hard drive as you would when using Chimp to clone your current MASTER hard drive to a new hard drive.  However, we won't be doing any cloning.

Power both the MASTER and to be SLAVE (300GB) hard drive using a Molex power splitter connected to the Xbox's HDD power connector.  Set the 300GB's jumpers to SLAVE or CS. Power on the Xbox without any IDE connection to the 300GB drive.  Start Chimp 261812.  When prompted, connect the DVD drive's IDE connector to the new hard drive.  Press A after it is connected.  Go into the SLAVE drive operations menu.  Unlock hard drive, use either of the two scene's master password options:

4 "From Master password:XBOXSCENE"

Does it show that it worked.  If not try,

5 "From Master password:TEAMASSEMBLY"

Did it work?  If not, search for MAXTOR DiamondMax 10 hard drive's default password(s).  I know the two for the stock Seagate or Western Digital drives but not that one.

Update:

From https://www.forensicswiki.org/wiki/Hard_Drive_Passwords:

Master Passwords
These passwords were received from unofficial sources, they may not work!

• Western Digital: WDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWD
  • Maxtor: Maxtor*INIT SECURITY TEST STEP*F (* means 00h)
  • Seagate: Seagate followed by 25 spaces
  • Fujitsu, Hitachi, Toshiba: 32 spaces
  • Samsung: tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
  • IBM:
    CED79IJUFNATIT
    VON89IJUFSUNAJ
    RAM00IJUFOTSELET

Thanks for that - I do have a PC with IDE - is there a way to use this PC to unlock it?  Thanks

You can use Xboxhdm v1.9 or v2.2a on a PC with an IDE interface.  Burn a disk image for v1.9 or create a bootable USB stick for 2.2a. The program to use once in Linux at a shell prompt is hdparm.  I'm not exactly sure of the options to unlock the drive. 

Easier to use Chimp 261812 on your softmodded Xbox than XboxHDM on a PC.

Another option is to use the newer USB version of XboxHDM - XboxHDM23USB beta 2 or beta 3.  For the USB versions, you need a USB-to-HDD interface adapter and power supply connection for 3.5" hard drives since USB cannot provide enough power for the hard drive.  Works with Windows 7 - 10 (64-bit) as provided.  I've also worked a bit on getting it to work on 32-bit versions of Windows.

Thanks - I'll try Chimp later on - I would have preferred to use the PC as I spent a bit of time on it this morning - I changed the CMOS battery.  I'm always afraid I'll damage a hard drive during the cable swap using Chimp.  I have the Xbox HDM V. 1.9 but couldn't really find any info on how to use hdparm.

Edited by C64MidRezzie

13 hours ago, C64MidRezzie said:

Thanks for that - I do have a PC with IDE - is there a way to use this PC to unlock it?  Thanks

Hi - I tried both options to unlock it - "From Master password:XBOXSCENE" and it seemed to have worked as when I went to the scan physical drives it said "HDD Locked:No".  I then switched off the xbox and  put it in my pc and loaded up HDM V1.9 and when I tried option 1 from the list it said my hard drive was locked.

I then put the drive back in my xbox ran Chimp and now "Password:XBOXSCEN E" won't unlock it anymore - I even tired "From Master password:TEAMASSEMBLY" but to no avail.  Is there any program that I can use on my IDE PC to format the drive?  Thanks

Edited by C64MidRezzie

Soz, should have recalled the title of your original post.  Darik’s Boot and Nuke is the software that should hopefully be able to reformat the drive. 

There where a couple of articles on xbox scene regarding your issue, if you do a bit of surfing on the net you maybe able to find them.

3 hours ago, Ging3rguy said:

Soz, should have recalled the title of your original post.  Darik’s Boot and Nuke is the software that should hopefully be able to reformat the drive. 

There where a couple of articles on xbox scene regarding your issue, if you do a bit of surfing on the net you maybe able to find them.

Tried Darik's Boot and Nuke - selected Quick Erase - it correctly identified the drive but after 4 mins it has an estimated 238 hours left I’ll give it an hour and see where it’s at

Edited by C64MidRezzie

5 hours ago, Ging3rguy said:

Here’s a tutorial on how to use HDAT2 which might be able to unlock the drive.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Unlock-hard-drive-from-an-old-BT-Vision-box/

Gave up on DBAN - Quick Erase at 00.04% after 15 minutes.  Decided to follow the guide you linked above on HDAT2 - used the XBOXSCENE password and it worked!  Thanks so much - I never ever heard of that program before - it's amazing and the guide was excellent.  Thanks again!

1 hour ago, KaosEngineer said:

When you run Chimp, what's the status of the slave hard drive?

Depending on how its unlock operation worked.  It either unlocked the drive until the next power cycle or permanently removed the password so it's still unlocked - no need to unlock it again.

I've sorted it now - see my last post but when I used Chimp it kept saying the Slave Drive was locked and I could not unlock it again.  It unlocked the very first time I tried it - I know this for sure because I took a picture on my phone - however it must have locked the second I powered the xbox off.   I tried countless times after that but I failed to unlock it.  Thankfully the HDAT2 program worked and the guide was really easy to follow.  Thanks again for all your help.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I've come across a similar problem on another forum just now and found this thread very interesting and potentially helpful but why has nobody mentioned using an eeprom reader? This was the normal recommendation for cases like this in the past.

With the eeprom you can then unlock the HDD using Chimp 261812 or XBHDM USB.

My feeling about that last post info here is that once confirmed unlocked C64MidRezzie should have re-locked it to the working Xbox's MB. 

That would mean when used as the Master HDD on the same Xbox it should boot.