OGXbox.com

Tsop Reverting To Previous Flashed Bios

JonahUK

I dug out my old box (v1.1 PAL) which originally had the x2 4981 bios flashed to it with the intention of getting it all updated (Rocky 5's EmuStation is the goal).

Upgraded the HD with an old 320gb IDE, removed the clock cap and then flashed x2 5035 (256k) and all seemed good.

Went to turn it on today and somehow the TSOP has reverted back to the x2 4981. Tried reflashing EvoX M8+ (256k), InD5004 (256k) and x2 5035 (256k and 512k) and all of them revert back to 4981 once I reboot (soft and hard).

Video is set to PAL60 and Widescreen using the Scart AV pack. I have a composite AV pack as well.

Should I restore back to retail (tsop & hdd)?

Any other ideas?

Currently, have no clue why it's reverting back to the 4981 bios.

What software did you use to reflash the BIOS to the chip?

Since the v1.1 Xbox has a 1MB flash chip that holds the BIOS, it would be best to create a 1MB BIOS file to flash to it.  If the software only flashed 1/2 of the chip you may have 2 different BIOSes on the chip.  For some operations of the BIOS data is loaded from the lowest bank and others the highest bank of the 1MB flash chip.

Example DOS box command line to create a 1MB 5035 BIOS.bin file to flash:

copy /b X2_5035.bin+X2_5035.bin X2_5035_1MB.bin

• Like 1

Evoxdash should be resizing the 256KB to flash it 4x in a row to fill the 1MB flash on the v1.1's motherboard.  If it did flash, I don't see how it could revert back to a previous version of the BIOS.

You are sure there's not a modchip installed inside?  Sounds like you'd know since you soldered the TSOP flash enable bridges.

• Like 1

No chip in there.

I do have an Aladdin XT Plus2 that I bought it in case this box was playing up or just doing a frag on boot.

My old 2.6CE was in the box with the XBOX but IIRC, it was dead hence the original reason to TSOP flash.

I'm going to try flashing a full 1mb bios made from the m8+ with lba48 patch and see how it goes.

Last resort would always be going back to the 5101 retail and either softmod or stick the Aladdin in. If I get it back up and running properly, I might try and hotswap the Aladdin and 2.6 to see if I can reflash the 2.6 to get that working.

It's a helluva long time since I did this stuff! Nigh on 15 years!

• Like 1

Ok, having a blonde moment here.

Created a 1MB version of M8+ (F&G) but need a refresher on where to put this on the XBOX so I can flash it?

Is there any app that runs directly on the XBOX or will have to manually edit one of the Hexen disc evox configs (also adding the MD5 hash  etc) and then reburn a new disc?

Download a copy of the EvolutionX (or I guess just copy Hexen’s from your DVD) dashboard and put your modified BIOS file into the BIOS folder of the evolutionX dash. 

Then you can flash from System Utils > bios flash and it should point directly to any bios files you’ve put there. There are other ways to skin this particular cat like XBlast XBE sedition but I personally prefer Evox. 

Also: when you’re flashing in EvoX or HeXen, it should show the exact name and model of flash chip you’re writing to just before you PRESS Y TO FLASH!!!

Compare this to what’s actually on your board... I wonder that it’s writing to the correct place or anywhere at all. 

Edited by Magicaldave
  • Like 2

Another thing that I think may be worth checking is if you have ever done the “coma console” fix on this board. 

Basically you just solder some points on the underside of the board to a ground point to boot from another BIOS bank. 

I’m guessing somewhat wildly here, but if this is the case it seems possible that you’re booting off one portion of the chip and forcing these address lines to ground is preventing your in-use bank from being reflashed. I think KaosEngineer could clarify whether or not this is actually a possibility.

If you find such a wire on the underside I bet upon removal you’ll boot into whatever BIOS you last flashed. Flashing a 1MB BIOS as directed above would probably also solve this issue IF that’s what it is. 

Evox dash installed on the hard drive.  Create a BIOS subfolder where you install it (e.g., dash in F:\Apps\Evox create a subfolder named F:\Apps\Evox\BIOS\), to place the dot bin files in.

http://the-eye.eu/public/xbins/XBOX/Console Based Applications/apps/dashboards/evolution-x/_official/EvolutionX Build 3935.rar

Update: This archive already has a Bios, Skin, and Trainers folder once extracted.  However, evoxdash.xbe needs to be renamed to default.xbe to have a replacement dashboard add it to the Apps menu.  Only those subfolders 1-level below Apps are scanned for default.xbe files.  No default.xbe file found no menu entry created. evoxdash.xbe's internal XBE Title (nay, default.xbe) is RemoteX not evoxdash so look for that name in the Apps menu to start it.

7 hours ago, Magicaldave said:

Download a copy of the EvolutionX (or I guess just copy Hexen’s from your DVD) dashboard and put your modified BIOS file into the BIOS folder of the evolutionX dash. 

Then you can flash from System Utils > bios flash and it should point directly to any bios files you’ve put there. There are other ways to skin this particular cat like XBlast XBE sedition but I personally prefer Evox. 

Also: when you’re flashing in EvoX or HeXen, it should show the exact name and model of flash chip you’re writing to just before you PRESS Y TO FLASH!!!

Compare this to what’s actually on your board... I wonder that it’s writing to the correct place or anywhere at all. 

Done that, stuck them on C and rebooted and tried to flash but it gets stuck at roughly 75%.

Waited for a a while and then thought f*** it and rebooted. It DID boot into M8 but unsure if its the 1MB bios I flashed as I'm sure I removed that horrible pink logo. Maybe TSOP Bank 4 is borked? Will do a new 1MB bios and double check the logo is removed.

I'll pull the board out tomorrow (its gone 3am here) and check for any wires present although I don't ever remember having to do that but worth a check.

7 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:
...Grammarly not working well with quotes--Moderator edited.

http://the-eye.eu/public/xbins/XBOX/Console Based Applications/apps/dashboards/evolution-x/_official/EvolutionX Build 3935.rar

Update: This archive already has a Bios, Skin, and Trainers folder once extracted.  However, evoxdash.xbe needs to be renamed to default.xbe to have a replacement dashboard add it to the Apps menu.  Only those subfolders 1-level below Apps are scanned for default.xbe files.  No default.xbe file found no menu entry created. evoxdash.xbe's internal XBE Title (nay, default.xbe) is RemoteX not evoxdash so look for that name in the Apps menu to start it.

See comment above, will do some more testing tomorrow.

Back to the usual buggered box.

Turned it on this morning, saw the pink EvoX, went to a black screen. Turned it off and then back on, boots the old 4981 bios.

I have a 1.6 box on the way so will wait to see how that one is before putting the Aladdin in this one as it looks like that's the only option.

They are cheap enough if I need to buy another one.

4 minutes ago, Magicaldave said:

Kinda sounds like your flash chip is going out, my guy. Ever end up checking for a wire on the bottom?

Either way it sounds like it’s probably about time for that Aladdin you’ve got laying around. 

Seems so fella.

As I said earlier, I have a 1.6 on its way as well so I'll order another Aladdin for that unless I successfully hotswap and fix the bad flash on the x2.6CE I have as well.

Just to update (and closure I suppose), the xbox with the funny TSOP finally gave up and crossed over to Silicon Heaven.

The 1.6 was in excellent working condition and came with a Samsung drive. That was quickly softmodded and Chimp installed so I can put the 320gb out of the dead box when I get some spare time this week. One of Rocky5's XBMC builds (Emustation or Gamers) will be going on this box.

@KaosEngineer and @Magicaldave, thanks for the replies and assistance anyway!

Edited by JonahUK