OGXbox.com

Anyone Else Have a Crazy XBox?

C64MidRezzie

I have a crazy xbox that I can’t mod properly- it’s a 1.6 - everything is in working order.

it’s one I found in my attic last night - my only note on it was crazy Xbox so I can’t remember what’s wrong with it.  I thought a fresh start might do it good so since it was already softmodded I used the eeprom to build a new hard drive in HDM v1.9.

I successfully made the drive - plugged it in and sure enough it was box fresh.

ithen copies over the Sid installer files and Splinter cell game save - these worked and took me to the softmodded menu.

I backed up the EEPROM and MS Dash.

When I tried single boot install - it started but suddenly the Splintercell game started to load up and duly took me back to the main menu of the game where Linux appears.

i rebooted the game and tried dual boot softmod - this time I got a batch fail message and not it has error 13 when I boot the console - not bothered as I’ll just remake the hard disk or stick the original softmodded gard disk back in.

my intention was to softmod it with SID and Splinter Celland then put the Rocky 5 softmod on it - but I never got that far - this method has worked on my other 3 consoles over the past month as I updated them all to Rocky softmod.

anyond shed any light on why the softmod stopped in Progress?  Like I said I always thought the craziness came from s poorly softmodded hard dive - that’s why I build a fresh one - but it seems to be something else.

• Like 1

To answer your original question: YES! Although mine has its own peculiarities. My “crazy” box is a 1.1 that will clone a drive in Chimp roughly 1 in every 100 attempts or worse. Same version, same method, cables, drives, adapters, etc, I’m just bashing my head against a wall trying to clone drives from this particular system.

To assist: Which version of SID are you using? 

I’m not entirely certain why this would happen as I used SID5 to mod a 1.6 almost six years ago now; not a single hitch when modding this console IIRC.

My first try here would be to switch from installing SID to Rocky5 out of the box since you’re just going for Rocky5 anyway. 

Edit: total shot in the dark, but compare the dash/kernel versions of this console and ones you have successfully modded in your MSDash. Once upon a time you actually had to worry about this when it came to softmodding.

I’ve Recently had some occasion to play with Xplorer360 to import folders into a usb drive so do come back if you have issues here and we can likely clear it up :)

Edited by Magicaldave

Thanks for your reply - I might have some time to recreate the drive this evening - do you mean I should check if its on 5960?  Seeing as its a 1.6 - I just assumed it would be on dash 5960 - that sounds like a good idea - am I right in saying I can update it using Halo 2 if I select online play?  

Thanks again - it would be brill to get this working - last night I got two dvd drives to read disks that hadn't worked for at least 10 years - just changed the bands - gave them a good clean and they were good to go.

Okay so I made another fresh Hard drive upgrade using the eeprom and HDM V1.9 - I'm using SID Installer 5.10 and Splinter Cell.  I am allowed to backup eprom but everytime I select to backup MS Dashboard the backup begins and within seconds the Splinter Cell Game disk starts to load.  Any ideas - its definitely a 1.6 Xbox.  Thanks

Why not install Rocky5's Softmod in the first place?

You don't have to use SID then upgrade to Rocky5's Xbox Softmodding Tool. 

His Build v1.1.6/Xbox Softmodding Tool.zip archive has game saves for Splinter Cell (NTSC and PAL saves available), 007: Agent Under Fire (NTSC only), MechAssualt (NTSC only) and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 (NTSC, PAL and region free saves available).

31 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

Why not install Rocky5's Softmod in the first place?

You don't have to use SID then upgrade to Rocky5's Xbox Softmodding Tool. 

His Build v1.1.6/Xbox Softmodding Tool.zip archive has game saves for Splinter Cell (NTSC and PAL saves available), 007: Agent Under Fire (NTSC only), MechAssualt (NTSC only) and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 (NTSC, PAL and region free saves available).

Simply because SID is a throwback to my softmod days and I completely forget how to get the files on the memory card - I still have the usb to controller port lead though - when I looked up a vid - they didn't seem to use splinter cell so I didn't know how to install it - is it the same as Sid - press start game and you end up with linux on screen and then press A for softmod menu?  What software do I need to put the Splinter Cell files on my memory card?  Thanks

Yes, same method you originally used to get the SID Splinter Cell and softmod installer to the flash drive.

Xplorer360 to write to the FATX formatted flash drive that the MS dashboard will read to copy them to the Xbox's hard drive.

Rocky5's video tutorial.  It's a bit dated as a newer version of the Xbox Softmodding Tool is available since the video's release a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnL1ttepaDo

3 hours ago, C64MidRezzie said:

do you mean I should check if its on 5960?  Seeing as its a 1.6 - I just assumed it would be on dash 5960 - that sounds like a good idea - am I right in saying I can update it using Halo 2 if I select online play?

Do not quote me on this but I think all 1.6 models use D5960. Any game with a title update should do this using its DLC installer - Halo 2 and Brute Force come to mind for me. In this case i think your kernel version would be more relevant, but I can’t say for sure. 

I’ve not seen Rocky’s video on this but Xplorer360 seems to have this weird kink where you can’t properly import stuff unless you create and navigate into a new folder, then use “import file/folder” to write to it. Whatever you put in will end up in the directory above it. Otherwise you’ll sit there for a few minutes, it seems like it works, then you wonder why it didn’t add anything and what you did wrong. 

Xplorer360 here

11 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Yes, same method you originally used to get the SID Splinter Cell and softmod installer to the flash drive.

Xplorer360 to write to the FATX formatted flash drive that the MS dashboard will read to copy them to the Xbox's hard drive.

Rocky5's video tutorial.  It's a bit dated as a newer version of the Xbox Softmodding Tool is available since the video's release a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnL1ttepaDo

T

Thanks - will any usb drive work?  I used a 512mb flashdrive years ago but it stopped working last night - great timing!  I have a few 4GB and 8GB usb 2 thumb drives - will they work  or do they have to have a smaller capacity?  Thanks

Okay so thanks to you guys I managed to successfully softmod my craxy xbox's brand new hard drive using Rocky 5 from scratch - had to improvise with the USB stick - used a USB 2.0 SD reader with an old Sandisk 2GB SD card from an old camera - worked a treat using xbox360.exe and softmodding tools.  I've never come across a forum like this - you guys are technically gifted - there doesn't seem to be any problem you can't find a solution to.  I'm going to FTP Coin OPS 8 Lite and a few games I love like Burnout Takedown and Simpsons Hit and Run - I'll give it a good test over the next few days.  Fingers crossed that I'm right and it was just a poorly modded original hard drive to begin with.  You should see the broken case it is in - have a really clean original case waiting for it if it works - only thing I'm missing now is the xbox labelled facia that goes on the dvd drive.

8 hours ago, C64MidRezzie said:

Thanks - will any usb drive work?  I used a 512mb flashdrive years ago but it stopped working last night - great timing!  I have a few 4GB and 8GB usb 2 thumb drives - will they work  or do they have to have a smaller capacity?  Thanks

The Xbox is finicky about which USB flash drives it will work with.  The maximum size is 4GB's.  Plug one into the Xbox via some USB-to-controller port adapter or cable.  Go into the Memory section of the MS Dashboard.  Hopefully it will format it and have no problems.  Otherwise, the screen will start strangely flashing/flickering or an error message will pop-up saying something along the lines of being a bad / corrupted drive.

Best to use older and smaller flash drives.  They just need to be large enough to hold the exploited saves to mod the console.  Rocky5's all fit on an 8MB memory card while with SID it takes a couple hundred megabytes.  SID's installer contains more files to install additional software than Rocky5's Xbox Softmodding Tool which has the additional software on an Extras disc to burn to DVD and use after softmodding.

31 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

The Xbox is finicky about which USB flash drives it will work with.  The maximum size is 4GB's.  Plug one into the Xbox via some USB-to-controller port adapter or cable.  Go into the Memory section of the MS Dashboard.  Hopefully it will format it and have no problems.  Otherwise, the screen will start strangely flashing/flickering or an error message will pop-up saying something along the lines of being a bad / corrupted drive.

Best to use older and smaller flash drives.  They just need to be large enough to hold the exploited saves to mod the console.  Rocky5's all fit on an 8MB memory card while with SID it takes a couple hundred megabytes.  SID's installer contains more files to install additional software than Rocky5's Xbox Softmodding Tool which has the additional software on an Extras disc to burn to DVD and use after softmodding.

Thanks - I improvised with a usb2 SD card reader and an old 2Gb Sandisk SD - it seems to be working perfectly - hopefully I won’t ever have to refer to it as the crazy Xbox again - thanks for all your help

• Like 2

Thanks in terms of the SD card but unfortunately this xbox seems to be possessed.  I cannot explain why the following happens:

Coin Ops 6 Lite - loads a few games but not Truxton - when I try to load Truxton it just resets the console.

Coin Ops 8 Premium - List of games appear but when I click to load the xbox either restarts or goes to a black screen.

Some backup games work but my backup copy of Doom 3 won't work - it recognises it as a game but resets when I attempt to load it.  However, it does load my original retail version of Doom 3.

Temperatures look good - I have the fan set at 20% - I have had it on all evening between FTP and loading games from disks - so roughly after 4 hours here are the temps:

CPU - 45.00 C

M/B: 45.00 C

I am at a real loss here - anyone shed any light on this or is it time to give up on it?

Thanks

Edited by C64MidRezzie

Welp. Firstly, it’s definitely not a thermal issue. Those are pretty decent and 1.6 units run very cool in the first place. 

Doom 3 does run off the HDD successfully so *maybe* you’ve got a bad rip. I would try again for all three and double-check that your FTP client is set to “binary” instead of ASCII/text as this can cause weird issues, especially with CHIMP. Most FTP clients use binary by default but it’s worth a shot. 

Also, have you ever done any solder work on the Xbox? 

I ask because my “crazy” box was received secondhand, literally off the side of the road, and the original owner had clearly knocked off a handful of resistors/caps while installing their modchip. I think this is the origin of my box’s problems with CHIMP, so theorize you may have a similar issue. 

1.6 boxes also do have some finicky issues with their video encoder but I’ve never heard this reported on Coin Ops or Doom 3, and it seems to be rare you’d ever notice it in the first place.

Might not be related in the slightest, but, didja ever check the dash/kernel revisions on the system?

It's definitely a 5960 xbox.  I have no idea about the history of the system - I might try and post a few pics of the motherboard and power supply tomorrow and you might notice if something has been tampered with.  I googled the prob I have with the games not loading and saw a solution about deleting the Coin Ops Save folder - I did that with Coin Ops 6 Lite and the system is doing a scan now.

In Coin Ops 8 Premium - I deleted the Saves folder 

I'll let you know how I get on.

45 minutes ago, C64MidRezzie said:

It's definitely a 5960 xbox.  I have no idea about the history of the system - I might try and post a few pics of the motherboard and power supply tomorrow and you might notice if something has been tampered with.  I googled the prob I have with the games not loading and saw a solution about deleting the Coin Ops Save folder - I did that with Coin Ops 6 Lite and the system is doing a scan now.

In Coin Ops 8 Premium - I deleted the Saves folder 

I'll let you know how I get on.

Okay so no dice - same result - console resets when I try various different games including Truxton on Coin Ops 6 Lite and New Zealand Story on Coin Ops 8 Premium.

Deleted both Coin Ops 6 Lite and Coin Ops 8 Premium.  Changed setting in Filezilla to binary - transferred Coin Ops 8 Premium onto the xbox.  Same result - when I select a game the console resets - any ideas greatly appreciated.

Edited by C64MidRezzie

50 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

Try deleting all the files in the X, Y and Z drives using UnleashX's File Explorer.

Or, the Menu item:

System -> Clear Cache

It may not be present if not added to the menu settings in UnleashX's config.xml file.

Hi - I tried that - there was a temp file in the Z directory - I deleted it - and clicked the clear cache on the menu but it didn't work - any other suggestions?  Thanks

Hi Guys - finally a breakthrough - it turns out that I got Coin Ops 6 Lite working on it.  I deleted both Coin Ops 6 Lite and Coin Ops 8 Premium.  I installted 8 Premium on its own it kept resetting so I deleted it and installed Coin Ops 6.  I then deleted the Coin Ops 6 Lite Saves folder and let it go through the installation process.

Coin Ops 6 Lite now works - although Truxton throws up an error and resets to the Coin Ops screen - Truxton 2 and every other game I tried works so I am happy that the console is working perfectly and it was just a corrupted copy of 8 Premium that was the root of the problem.  

It turns out my Coin Ops 8 Premium was a bad download - I got it elsewhere and now the console works perfectly - delighted - no longer going to refer to it as the crazy xbox anymore and I'm going to transplant it to a nice refurbished shell later this weekend - thanks for all your help folks.

• Like 1

Sorry I never got back to you in pm! I’m doing renovations in-home and all my boxes and PCs are packed. Haven’t been gaming much at all, but being bored is good motivation!!!

Just out of curiosity, could you narrow down which version of Coin Ops 8 you used? I really tried but I couldn’t find one simply named “CoinOPS 8 Premium” that seems like it might just be the front end for whatever set it comes with - lite, massive, gold, etc. 

10 hours ago, Magicaldave said:

Sorry I never got back to you in pm! I’m doing renovations in-home and all my boxes and PCs are packed. Haven’t been gaming much at all, but being bored is good motivation!!!

Just out of curiosity, could you narrow down which version of Coin Ops 8 you used? I really tried but I couldn’t find one simply named “CoinOPS 8 Premium” that seems like it might just be the front end for whatever set it comes with - lite, massive, gold, etc. 

Oh sorry my bad - Lite - it is about 5GB - enjoy!