OGXbox.com

Ps1 Games Too Big for Roms Folder?

excaliburlives

How many files do you have in the folder?

Are any of the file names longer than 42 characters (the extension of a filename counts as 4 - example .bin)?

Not all characters are valid for use in the FATX filesystem that work on a PC:

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwx yz0123456789!#$%&'()-.@[]^_`{}~ (that includes the space character)

https://github.com/Free60Project/wiki/blob/master/FATX.md#Limitations

Free60 Project - the 360 sucessor to xbox-linux.org but it was there too. But there list of allowed characters doesn't list all the characters I've seen before for filenames/folders:
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwx yz0123456789!#$%&'()-.@[]^_`{}~ (that includes the space character)

https://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?87071-XBOX-FATX-limitations-and-notes

The number of game saves from epforums.org states only 240 game saves could be saved in E:\UDATA and E:\TDATA folders but that seems to be disproven.  Although people had reported problems with more than 240-250 game saves on there hard drive deleting some and games that before black screened on startup now played.  Why the problem, still a mystery if the save count wasn't actually it.  Were they out of storage space on the E drive? etc...

Which is correct or a combination of information from both...

• Like 3

Excellent, thorough, and highly detailed as usual. Thank you for all your hard work here, my friend. 

With the E:/ partition often being overlooked when formatting drives it seems fairly reasonable, I think, that this could be a very funky incidence of full E:/ drives. But I’ve also seen other users with such setups mention no such issue. So many mysteries... so little time. Long live the OG. 

• Like 1

Ok, the file limit looks like the problem. My psxcds folder has 4096 files in it. Can i make a second roms folder? I know mame gives me that option but not sure about PCSXBox emulator though. I've checked in the settings but couldn't find anything. What are other people doing to get their whole ps1 set in the xbox? I think i have 750 GB worth of roms.

Back to the original topic ofc. I would say your first problem is that you have over 4096. 

But in all seriousness, use nested folders. 

So you start with ~\PCSXbox\psxcds and this gets full. 

Simply add sub folders to this directory. 

So you can have:

~\PCSXbox\psxcds\A-G

~\PCSXbox\psxcds\H-M

~\PCSXbox\psxcds\N-Z

As needed. You should not have to organize them alphabetically as PCSXBox is basically just giving you a file explorer rooted in the psxcds directory. According to what kaosengineer has said, if I am interpreting properly, each of these should have a 4096 capacity, and as an added bonus each folder can have its own configuration. 

Edited by Magicaldave
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

The folder can store anything in it but why put anything but PS1 files in it (files to run with the PCSXbox emulator).  Easier to know where things are so separate files for each emu to there own storage location (subfolder).

You can edit emulator paths to look for files anywhere you'd like.  They have default values set when you install them to search for files at a particular location.  Most likely a subfolder in the emulator's installation folder, not a different emulator's file structure.