OGXbox.com

DVD Drive Models and the Games They Won't Read

malarrya

Hey everyone,

I wanted to start a discussion/thread about games that are in perfect working condition but for some reason the DVD Drive is too old or stubborn to read the game. I of course have 2 consoles both with Thompson drives and I found (so far) that neither will read the following games:

1. Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball
2. Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring.

Both discs are in pristine condition but UnleashX and DVD2XBOX give a "Tray Empty" message. I did a Google search for these and it seems others have the same problems with these 2 games being read on a Thompson Drive.

I wanted to know what other games and drives folks are having issues with.

Hope to hear from you all.

Thanks,
Larry

Edited by malarrya

• malarrya changed the title to DVD Drive Models and the Games They Won't Read

I’m not exactly familiar with these two games in particular, but it is definitely true in general that Thompson’s have some compatibility issues. I hear people say they die a lot too, but I don’t use my dvd drives at all. 

Here’s a chart that goes a bit more in detail:

spacer.png

I personally find the Phillips drives to be most reliable, followed by the Samsung and Thompson. Never seen a hitachi drive :(

I’ve seen your other work, so, perhaps it’s time to TSOP those consoles and pull the dvd drives?

• Like 1