OGXbox.com

Dusting Off My Old Dustbox and Turning It Into a Gameconsole Again

tadsz

Hi there!

My xbox was modded when I was still a kid and has been resting in peace since around 2010. Now that I've been doing a lot more technical stuff I want to dive back in and found this forum through reddit. I love that you have all this stuff gathered here as I wouldn't know where to begin if it weren't for you.

Kind regards,
Tadsz

Edit: I was looking to grab some downloads but it says I'm not permitted. Are there some rules to this? Where can I find these?

Edited by tadsz

Glad to see you and your box are coming back to the scene! Take good care of 'er. If you're not sure already, double-check the inside of your box to make sure that either your clock cap has been removed or that it's a late revision console that doesn't require removing the clock cap. Super easy stuff!

As far as downloads, you'll have to make at least 3 posts on the forums before you can access the downloads section. Depending on what you're looking for we may be able to provide you alternative links in the meantime.

1 hour ago, Magicaldave said:

If you're not sure already, double-check the inside of your box to make sure that either your clock cap has been removed or that it's a late revision console that doesn't require removing the clock cap. Super easy stuff!

Thanks! I wouldn't have thought of that. Been reading up on it and seems easy enough to fix it. Do I need to check for this before powering it on again?

1 hour ago, Magicaldave said:

As far as downloads, you'll have to make at least 3 posts on the forums before you can access the downloads section. Depending on what you're looking for we may be able to provide you alternative links in the meantime.

Thanks! Thought I was missing something but I guess I'll reach those posts soon enough. Got enough to check up on for my hardware before I I'll need the software

Edited by tadsz

4 hours ago, tadsz said:

Thanks! I wouldn't have thought of that. Been reading up on it and seems easy enough to fix it. Do I need to check for this before powering it on again?

Nah. Any damage or lack thereof will be immediately noticeable, usually either your console will work or you'll notice weird issues with your power/eject buttons, like the console not turning off etc. Still, they have a 100% failure rate on non 1.6 consoles, so it's probably worth doing ASAP. You don't want to get distracted by how much fun you're having while your console rots away in silence :)

Modern Vintage Gamer has some great tutorials on OGX, especially for removing the cap and cleaning the board. He even used baking soda to neutralize the acids leaked out. Never had to do this myself but it's probably the best way to go about it.

Easiest way to check: Open your console and in the back, near the A/V port is the video encoder. If it says Conexant or Focus, you have a pre 1.6. If it's kind of a fat rectangular chip that says Xyclops, you're fine.

Edited by Magicaldave

I've opened it up and it seems to be pre-v1.6 (twelve pin power connector, manufacturing date in 2001) the clock cap seemed to be fine. No leak whatsoever. Removed it to be sure and works fine. Thanks for warning me!

I thought battery leaks/corrosion were mostly base which you would clean with vinegar but capacitators leak acid or could any of these happen? I'm just used to cleaning leaks in remotes with some vinegar and worked fine for years.

5 hours ago, tadsz said:

I thought battery leaks/corrosion were mostly base which you would clean with vinegar but capacitators leak acid or could any of these happen? I'm just used to cleaning leaks in remotes with some vinegar and worked fine for years.

I think you could be right, perhaps a little bit of both. I’ve always used alcohol to clean my boards, so tomato tomahto here I suppose.