OGXbox.com

Rediscovering the Joy of the OG XBox

malarrya

Hey, Everyone! I joined the a few weeks ago. I've been modding OG Xbox since the days of The Screen Savers on Tech (G4) TV. I got my first and only modchip, an Xecuter 2.3b Lite+ back in around 2003. The very first time I got the new Evolution-X Dashboard to load and a Genesis emulator to run I was over the moon thrilled and thus began my heightened interest in "modding" things. I was always perusing the Xbox-scene website.

Shortly thereafter, I had quite a few folks ask me to mod their systems but they were all softmods and hard drive upgrades. I left the Xbox modding scene pretty much right after the 360 came out but, when I discovered CoinOps, Rocky5's softmod tools, and TSOP modding a couple years ago, it reignited my interest. 

I've been practicing my soldering skills so I figured I'd give TSOP modding a go. My model 1.0 Xbox I bought back in 2001 was the guinea pig and was successful with the TSOP on the first try. I first removed the old modchip as it was having issues staying in contact with the motherboard. This would cause it to power cycle 3 times then flash red. Once it was removed, the problem went away. I was so elated that I found someone on FB Marketplace who sold my his 1.0, 2 duke controllers, and about 12 games for $30. He said it was having issues shutting off but, after a good cleaning and a clock capacitor removal, it's working great. I TSOP modded that one as well although it took me about 6 tries to get the TSOP writeable. My next hardware venture may be into the realm of 128MB upgrades although my soldering skills are kinda crappy.

I actually really enjoy playing these old games too and have recently completed Baldur's Gate I and II, Evil Dead: Regeneration, and am currently playing Gauntlet: Dark Legacy.

Here are some of the other retrogaming interests I've involved myself with:

• Soft-modded several Nintendo Wii systems installing new games, emulators, and programs with an SD card.
  • Updated my Sega Dreamcast so games are launchable from the rear serial port using an SD card.
  • Still own my original Sega Genesis with 32x and Sega CD and have collected about 30+ 32x games.
  • Restored/fixed 2 ColecoVisions and amassed about 50 games
  • Own about 60 Original Xbox games, 2 dozen Xbox 360, and about 10 Xbox One games.

I've owned the following consoles (in personal chronological order):
Pong, Atari 2600, ColecoVision, NES, Sega Genesis, Sega 32x, Xbox original, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, Sega Dreamcast, Xbox One S, and Sega CD.

I've always been the "other system" guy. Coleco over Atari, Sega over Nintendo, Xbox over PlayStation, Samsung over Apple, Samsung over Sony (TVs), etc.

My interests also include my family, snowboarding, baseball, hockey, movies, guitar, boardgames, throwing Halloween parties, and Comic-Con (conventions). I mostly listen to Celtic music, John WIlliams music, Beatles, Pop-punk, and 80s.

Good to meet you all!

• Like 3

• malarrya changed the title to Rediscovering the Joy of the OG XBox

Nice Hyperspin project.

Like yourself I got into xbox modding first. Then PS2 and Wii. And now I am back with xbox again.

Last couple of months I have spent a lot of time on modifying xbmc4gamers to my need.  Hope to get some time to play games again soon. :)

Edited by RoofTop
  • Like 1

Nice mods!

If you’re looking for some more games to play after I strongly recommend Metal Wolf Chaos and Gemma Onimusha. You might know Onimusha well as a PS2 guy but the Xbox version has a lot of nice combat additions and other stuff. 

Personally, I softmodded few PS2s back in the day and eventually stumbled onto the Xbox. I’ve never left. OGX just can’t be beat. 

I did once look into modding GC/Wii but once I saw the state Dolphin was in (and this was 6 years ago) any desire I had to do that totally dissolved. My GameCube is mostly just a toy for my toddler to kick around. 

• Like 1

Thanks! It's gone through a few more changes since this video. I added more LED buttons, 2 light guns, a spinner, and an HDMI/Ethernet/USB output jack in the back so I can easily connect it to the projector. I may one day add a control panel overlay and side art but it's not that important. The Marvel vs Capcom 2 came out pretty nice as well.

barcade3.png

barcade2.png

barcade1.png

barcade4.png

mvsc2.jpg

On 6/6/2019 at 1:55 PM, Magicaldave said:

Nice mods!

If you’re looking for some more games to play after I strongly recommend Metal Wolf Chaos and Gemma Onimusha. You might know Onimusha well as a PS2 guy but the Xbox version has a lot of nice combat additions and other stuff. 

Personally, I softmodded few PS2s back in the day and eventually stumbled onto the Xbox. I’ve never left. OGX just can’t be beat. 

I did once look into modding GC/Wii but once I saw the state Dolphin was in (and this was 6 years ago) any desire I had to do that totally dissolved. My GameCube is mostly just a toy for my toddler to kick around. 

Yeah, modding the Wii was just to see if I could but no one in the house ever plays with it. I'd have to say it's my very least favorite console I've ever owned. Nintendo forgoing HD in favor of the novelty nunchuk was a pretty terrible move IMO. I suppose it's great if you're 8 years old and love goofy cooking games but the only saving grace for that system is that it supports lightgun games on a modern TV. It would be awesome if the OG Xbox had a sensor bar that allowed for the same thing.

I'll need to check out Metal Wolf Chaos and Gemma Onimusha but right now I am on this terrible Dungeons & Dragons kick. :)

Edited by malarrya

4 hours ago, malarrya said:

I'll need to check out Metal Wolf Chaos and Gemma Onimusha but right now I am on this terrible Dungeons & Dragons kick. :)

You mean D&D Heroes? 

Edit: now that you mention it. OGX doesn't have a sensor bar, but I do believe it has a light gun. Mostly for House of the Dead 3, although I personally never had any problems playing it on a controller.

That Resident Evil light gun game on PS2, however.....

Edited by Magicaldave

12 hours ago, Magicaldave said:

You mean D&D Heroes? 

Edit: now that you mention it. OGX doesn't have a sensor bar, but I do believe it has a light gun. Mostly for House of the Dead 3, although I personally never had any problems playing it on a controller.

That Resident Evil light gun game on PS2, however.....

I'm trying to get through all 4 official Dungeons & Dragons branded games for OGX

1. Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance - COMPLETE 
2. Baldur's .Gate: Dark Alliance 2 - COMPLETE
3. D&D Heroes - Partial
4. Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone - Just got it in the mail.
Then there are the numerous RPG/action games that borrowed all the game mechanics from D&D like Gauntlet: Dark Legacy, Morrowind, Fable, and Bard's Tale.

I used to have the light gun but sold it to a friend's son as I don't have any CRT TVs in the house any longer. My arcade cabinet does have a sensor bar light gun but it's definitely not like playing on a CRT.

42 minutes ago, malarrya said:

3. D&D Heroes - Partial
4. Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone - Just got it in the mail.

Ahh. I see what you mean now. I’ve been thinking about trying D&D heroes, actually fired it up, but haven’t been able to play anything for a couple days. 

I hope you enjoy Demon Stone! I have heard people say a lot of really good things about this game, but personally, I tried the PS2 version once and I think it lasted about 20 minutes in my console before suffering some horrible fate. It seemed to me like an okay-ish licensed game that really blew its nut on hiring famous voice actors. 

• Like 1