OGXbox.com

Rocky 5 Mod and Hard Drive Upgrade Complete Now How To Get XBmc On Startup?

C64MidRezzie

These past few weeks have been a real voyage of rediscovery as I hadn't softmodded an xbox in years and the scene has changed so much - Rocky 5 was completely new to me.  I was wondering how to go about installing XBMC on startup - which version is the best etc...  Sorry for sounding like such a noob but this is all new to me again.  I have coin ops, games and emulators like the Megadrive and Snes already installed.  Any help greatly appreciated.

Hey man there’s no stupid questions around here. A lot of this stuff is either poorly documented or it’s so fragmented it’s really hard to figure out unless you just break things until you figure it out. 

Better to ask a question you might feel is foolish than try to recover error 16/21 on a soft modded console or worse. 

To answer your question: Rocky5 softmod will support a ton of dash locations. So technically if you look the the readme you can just install XBMC into one of the dozens of supported dash locations and then delete your original dash; it’ll scan through the supported list until it finds one to boot from. 

Easy way: use the Rocky5 extras disc. Mostly foolproof and runs from HDD. You can install *most* dashes from there but I don’t know offhand if it will install vanilla XBMC. It WILL install XBMC4GAMERS or, uh. Whatever the other current one is, I forget. You can also set up dual-boot using that disc, so maybe you press power to do UnleashX and eject to boot XBMC. 

Another, maybe less interesting way: UnleashX supports controller shortcuts through its settings app, so you could just hold a particular button to boot any game, app, or dash. 

Edited by Magicaldave

3 hours ago, Magicaldave said:

Hey man there’s no stupid questions around here. A lot of this stuff is either poorly documented or it’s so fragmented it’s really hard to figure out unless you just break things until you figure it out. 

Better to ask a question you might feel is foolish than try to recover error 16/21 on a soft modded console or worse. 

To answer your question: Rocky5 softmod will support a ton of dash locations. So technically if you look the the readme you can just install XBMC into one of the dozens of supported dash locations and then delete your original dash; it’ll scan through the supported list until it finds one to boot from. 

Easy way: use the Rocky5 extras disc. Mostly foolproof and runs from HDD. You can install *most* dashes from there but I don’t know offhand if it will install vanilla XBMC. It WILL install XBMC4GAMERS or, uh. Whatever the other current one is, I forget. You can also set up dual-boot using that disc, so maybe you press power to do UnleashX and eject to boot XBMC. 

Another, maybe less interesting way: UnleashX supports controller shortcuts through its settings app, so you could just hold a particular button to boot any game, app, or dash. 

Thanks for your help - it really is an amazing forum - everyone is so helpful.  I'll try and load the new dash from the Rocky 5 extras disk tonight and I'll let you know how I get on.

12 hours ago, C64MidRezzie said:

These past few weeks have been a real voyage of rediscovery as I hadn't softmodded an xbox in years and the scene has changed so much - Rocky 5 was completely new to me.  I was wondering how to go about installing XBMC on startup - which version is the best etc...  Sorry for sounding like such a noob but this is all new to me again.  I have coin ops, games and emulators like the Megadrive and Snes already installed.  Any help greatly appreciated.

XMBC4Xbox v3.5.3 is the latest release. 

Rocky5 has a couple of other releases based on it - XBMC4Gamers and his latest creation XBMC-Emustation.

With his latest softmod, his loader attempts to run replacement dashboards from many different locations.  The dashboard load order is:

C:\XBMC-Emustation\default.xbe
E:\XBMC-Emustation\default.xbe
F:\XBMC-Emustation\default.xbe
C:\XBMC4Gamers\default.xbe
E:\XBMC4Gamers\default.xbe
F:\XBMC4Gamers\default.xbe
C:\XBMC4Xbox\default.xbe
E:\XBMC4Xbox\default.xbe
F:\XBMC4Xbox\default.xbe
C:\XBMC\default.xbe
E:\XBMC\default.xbe
F:\XBMC\default.xbe
C:\dashboard\default.xbe
E:\dashboard\default.xbe
F:\dashboard\default.xbe
C:\dash\default.xbe
E:\dash\default.xbe
F:\dash\default.xbe
E:\default.xbe
E:\dashboard.xbe
C:\evoxdash.xbe
E:\evoxdash.xbe
C:\XBMC.xbe
E:\XBMC.xbe

The first file found on the hard drive from this list will be the default dashboard.

7 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

XMBC4Xbox v3.5.3 is the latest release. 

Rocky5 has a couple of other releases based on it - XBMC4Gamers and his latest creation XBMC-Emustation.

With his latest softmod, his loader attempts to run replacement dashboards from many different locations.  The dashboard load order is:

C:\XBMC-Emustation\default.xbe
E:\XBMC-Emustation\default.xbe
F:\XBMC-Emustation\default.xbe
C:\XBMC4Gamers\default.xbe
E:\XBMC4Gamers\default.xbe
F:\XBMC4Gamers\default.xbe
C:\XBMC4Xbox\default.xbe
E:\XBMC4Xbox\default.xbe
F:\XBMC4Xbox\default.xbe
C:\XBMC\default.xbe
E:\XBMC\default.xbe
F:\XBMC\default.xbe
C:\dashboard\default.xbe
E:\dashboard\default.xbe
F:\dashboard\default.xbe
C:\dash\default.xbe
E:\dash\default.xbe
F:\dash\default.xbe
E:\default.xbe
E:\dashboard.xbe
C:\evoxdash.xbe
E:\evoxdash.xbe
C:\XBMC.xbe
E:\XBMC.xbe

The first file found on the hard drive from this list will be the default dashboard.

Thanks - didn't get a chance to install in yet - looking at youtube vids - that XBMC emustation looks sweet as a nut - can't wait to get it up and running - do you know if its possible to have coin ops appear on it?  I have Coin Ops 8 Massive.

• 6 months later...

Install it at the proper location and it will become the default dashboard.

Rocky5's softmod has a much longer dashboard boot order list than a hard modded console's BIOSes.

The first replacement dashboard found in this list becomes the default dashboard the Xbox Softmodding Tool runs:

• C:\XBMC-Emustation\default.xbe
  • E:\XBMC-Emustation\default.xbe
  • F:\XBMC-Emustation\default.xbe
  • C:\XBMC4Gamers\default.xbe
  • E:\XBMC4Gamers\default.xbe
  • F:\XBMC4Gamers\default.xbe
  • C:\XBMC4Xbox\default.xbe
  • E:\XBMC4Xbox\default.xbe
  • F:\XBMC4Xbox\default.xbe
  • C:\XBMC\default.xbe
  • E:\XBMC\default.xbe
  • F:\XBMC\default.xbe